Spectral DMA 30 SL: Volume Change Sound

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Spectral DMC 30 SL: Volume Change Sound

Hi there,

I have bought an used 30 SL G1 in new like condition and love the sound. I habe two questions / observations though:

1. Is the low "motor sound" of the volume control normal, when switching the unit on or changing the volume?
2. On Volume Level 1 (1x LED on) there seems to be a slightly improper Balance between left and right channel. Can the balance calibration be off or change due to age? From LED 2 upwards all is perfect.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
#1 If you can hear the motor from afar, then I would say this is not normal; from up close, yes, the motor can be heard
#2 You may be splitting hairs here, as I can't see anyone listening at -90dB; or did I miss something? You may want to contact the factory about this if it bothers you.

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
I hear the motor from my listening position, when I change volume without music playing. It is a low sirring sound. 2.5m away from preamp.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Frankly, so can I when the room is quiet (late at night), but it's extremely subtle and I have very acute hearing still

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Interesting observation: I am using a programmable universal Logitech Remote. The inbalance between the channels just happens with the Logitech! Using the Spectral Remote, all is superb! Wow, strange and interesting. So the original remote is on the table! :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Interesting indeed - no real idea why this would be, but a guess would be that the pulse durations are not the same.

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Yes, the original Remote seems to "lock" at certain ranges. The Logitech seems to sit "inbetween" in the lowest volume setting. It 100% reproducable! But the preamp is 100% balanced with the original remote. So... machine is running perfectly. Very happy! The oddity of inbalance was somehow disturbing, though it was just in that 1 setting with the Logitech remote. Very sensitive machine, the DMC 30 SL... :)

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
I checked for reference with another 30 SL. The sound of the volume control motor is the same. I don't find it subtle though, Ack. But knowing this is normal, gives me comfort.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, subtle against the volume we play music at :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing