How many millennials do you see at hifi shows?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I am curious how many millennials you guys see at hifi shows. I have not attended one in a few years mostly due to being very busy with work, this is finally calmed down and I'm hoping to attend some next year. As I understand the headphone rooms/halls of the large shows have started to get very popular. I also read articles about how most millennials want to live in cities which often means a restriction in their living space at their budding incomes.

Really just curious, let's keep this non-contentious.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
At the LA (ex-Newport Beach) show, you see quite a bit of them. I'd say 5-10% of the public.
And families too.

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Munich too, many families

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
if you go to a Headphone meet of some sort mostly it's millennials. and many of them are into higher performance.

there are many multiples more serious headphone listeners than 'speaker' audiophiles. these are future audiophiles as their lives evolve into larger home situations.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In our last show, far more than half. All of the ones I talked to came primarily for the vinyl fair.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
if you go to a Headphone meet of some sort mostly it's millennials. and many of them are into higher performance.

there are many multiples more serious headphone listeners than 'speaker' audiophiles. these are future audiophiles as their lives evolve into larger home situations.

I suspect many of these headphone listeners are going to end up with tinnitus or some other type of hearing loss, and that will negate any possible future audiophiles from this group.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

I wonder how many make the transition to two channel?

I suspect many of these headphone listeners are going to end up with tinnitus or some other type of hearing loss, and that will negate any possible future audiophiles from this group.

As long as they're listening at a safe level, it doesn't matter if the SPL is from speakers or headphones. Though I do understand the desire to listen louder with headphones to try and make up some of the impact.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder how many make the transition to two channel?

As long as they're listening at a safe level, it doesn't matter if the SPL is from speakers or headphones. Though I do understand the desire to listen louder with headphones to try and make up some of the impact.

I think based on how lustful they looked in the 2 channel rooms, there's a chance. A good chance.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
There were a good number of millennials at AXPONA but for the most part the dominant ages were 50s and 60s, and prolly mostly 60s.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It depends where you go. Munich avg is around 50 I would say, Audio Video Show in Poland is 40, and on most shows I have attended in the US the avg was around 60.

I have recently visited a big vinyl event in Poland and believe or not - most people were in their 30s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing