Oppo UDP-205 audiophile 4k / universal player & media streamer

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
With the mid-fi-high-end, budget equipment that I'm able to afford it's is damn good. I bought the Oppo for 95% two channel listening. Running it direct through my Onkyo PR-RZ5100 pre-pro, through a Sunfire Signature CG, on Martin Logan Odyssey speakers, it's very good. It was a little edgy in the upper range at first so I've been letting the Oppo run on repeat for around 60hours to break it in, and listening each day. It has calmed down quite a bit in the highs, bordering on sweet. I am looking for a good budget two channel amp( Krell FPB, Mark Levinson 333 or 336) to take over two channel duty. My point being, I'm very real world... but I love to dream. ;-)

Dan

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So true. I would however, love to spend the day swapping the 205 out with some Uber transports and DACs on an Uber high-end system just to see how it truly compares. That would be fun, and very interesting

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That's exactly what many people who cannot afford them do; visit audio show rooms, and local audio dealers who carry some.
Then they dream freely while listening in someone else's room and gear.

Only the elite has full access to the club. Everyone else is a dreamer. :b
_____

He's using an iPad ? to control the 205:

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I use an iPad app to control mine, as well. The only problem I find is the section for rendering my NAS Music server is not very intuitive so I have to switch back-and-forth with the Synology app, and the iPad app for my prepro. It makes searching for a particular track out of over 11,000 songs very cumbersome.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Charle's first impression (sound quality...music playback):

"I have finally gotten around to doing some serious, focused listening with the 205, which replaced my 95. My setup, which was the same for the 95, connects the 205 to a Theta Gen VIII/Series 3 DAC/Passive Preamp in two ways: first, via coaxial in, in which case the 205 simply serves as a transport while the Theta decodes. And second, via balanced analogue inputs (Cardas Golden Reference), in which case the 205 acts as both transport and DAC, and the Theta is merely passive preamp serving as volume control between the 205 (set to "fixed" volume) and Spectron Musician III amp, which is driving Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. One last addition to the mix: Mark Levinson No. 37 CD Transport, connected to the Theta via AES/EBU balanced digital input. This setup allows me to compare the Oppo as transport-only to the Levinson (at least for CD), and to compare the older Theta DAC to the most recent, top-of-the-line chips in the Oppo. It's worth mentioning that the Theta, which is still in production, carries a list price of $14,000.

SO... I have a lot more listening to do, and will continue to update as I go, but wanted to post some initial impressions. As a test CD, I'm using the Classic Records amazing "gold CD" remaster of Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions," which is well worth acquiring as a reference CD, even at inflated ebay prices. (And it kills the recently released SACD.) I like using simple, stripped down productions like Trinity Sessions for listening tests because they allow you to really focus your listening on the specifics of live music in a real space without a lot of multi-track sound engineering getting in the way.

First, I am baffled by reports here of the 205 being thin-sounding and bass shy. I would have to say, "absolutely not," based on direct and immediate comparisons with the Theta, which has a reputation for terrific bass reproduction. And I say this based on casual listening to a broad range of CDs, SACDs and Blu-ray Audio, covering jazz, rock and classical.

Second, the resolution of the 205 beats anything I've ever heard in my system. I'm hearing nuance and details in vocals and instruments that are present but somewhat "smoothed over" by the Theta. BUT... I'm not sure yet if this is a good thing. As a guy who prefers a more film-like appearance to my video instead of max sharpness, I do wonder if the added resolution is at the expense of musicality. I find that I sometimes have to live with differences in sound for a while before a final assessment, and this is one of those times.

Third, I think the time may have come to part with my beloved Levinson transport, since the 205 transport sounds every bit as good and possibly a bit better.
More to come as I find the time to do more focused listening."

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I agree with the increased nuance and details. It's the best I've ever heard in my system, a huge step up! Northstar, are you going to add a new 205 to your system?

Dan

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Received my 205 back from Modwright a couple of days ago. The new stereo circuitry is based around the 6DJ8/6922 tube, one per channel, and is very similar to recent Modwright mods for the Oppo Sonica and Marantz SA8005. It's quite nice, although I don't have any other high-end DAC's around to compare. Others who do, though, have been impressed (dminches).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I agree with the increased nuance and details. It's the best I've ever heard in my system, a huge step up!
Northstar, are you going to add a new 205 to your system?

Dan

Sorry Dan, I just saw your post this morning.
I'm waiting for few more things. But yes, it's the player I'm going to add. Front projectors don't do Dolby Vision (it can take another ten years).

* Bonus: Short Review | Audio/Video Nirvana

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yesterday I've read this ... Quote: Originally Posted by {home theater}

"Bob

ATTENTION All OPPO 205 OWNERS:
THE LATEST OPPO-205 SOFTWARE (UDP20X-45-0605) has major bug. I down loaded it and now the HDMI input no longer works. I contacted OPPO and they told me they are aware of the problem and are working on it. My prior software version was UDP20X-42-0329. This is the actual Main Version just posted not the Beta version."

Reply ... Quote: Originally Posted by {Ahzari} – June 19, 2017

"So I am also having this issue, its really frustrating... It hasn't been with just 1080i.. setting any setting is causing issues with the HDMI loading properly.

My only work around is, turn the Oppo on first, let it load, then turn on my TV. If I turn my TV on first for some reason HDMI input will not load, the Oppo Blu-Ray player screen will load though. This started after the update.. Hope they resolve it with the next update."

______

There wasn't any more reply to the above. This, for information purpose, verification.

* [The Oppo 205 and 203 receive their firmware updates equally @ the same time.]

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, too late. I downloaded this update and now have trouble with my HDMI input handshake. It does sync after a few attempts, but it was working flawlessly before. This is the first issue I've run into so far, I'm hoping they get this issue fixed rather quickly. I had this issue with my old Integra prepro and it's not fun to live with.

Dan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good morning Dan,

I don't often 'up' the latest (most important news to me) on the new Oppo UHD players (205-203). But when I consider something worth mentioning, then I do.
I don't rely on the future, but on the present. When the future comes, if I'm still here, I will be there...

I will add this: I keep in touch every single day with all the new UHD Blu-ray players (I'm quite efficient on this, it takes very little time, only few minutes), and the new Oppo players have more reports of issues than the others from Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Philips, Microsoft. They all have issues, but the Oppos more most likely because they are the higher end units, among Panasonic 900 and Sony 1000ES.

But this too: This new technology is far from being fully developed. When you need to wash brand new UHD BR discs in order to play them in your new Oppo UHD machines, something doesn't ring properly here. I don't see that recommendation with any other company. I don't have the time to figure out the exact percentage, I can read very well and I can assess intelligently from my average readings.

I'll keep an eye open for anything new worth mentioning, have a splendid day. :b It's going to be a beautiful blue one here.

Bob

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I realize that there is going to be hiccups with such a player, especially when they add so much new technology into it. Then add the fact that it's a high-end unit with a ton of attention being given to it by a'philes with high expectations of performance in relation to their previous highly praised Oppo 105. New updates are bound to be pushed out as quickly as possible with little beta testing because of the cries of said a'phile complaints. I have not had an issue with "unwashed" discs, btw.

As long as they don't mess with the dac and affect my two channel performance, I can be patient with the rest.

Dan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No matter the DAC we use in life the main thing is to be happy with the music we listen to. ...From $49.99 to $499,000.00 (USD).
The Oppo 205 fits somewhere right in the middle.

Several owners are very happy with the sound improvement over the previous 105. Their systems are high resolution enough (loudspeakers, preamplifier, amplifier, interconnects, speaker cables, AC power cords, ...) for that.

For others, with normal regular gear, they don't notice a sound difference between the 205 and 105.
The 205 is for real audiophiles who have already some audiophile gear.
For non-audiophile people (with receivers from Sony, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Anthem, ... and wires from Monoprice) the 203 would do just fine for a $750 savings /IMO/ And they are the ones mostly interested in watching movies anyway; and both the 203 and 205 are identical picture wise.

But the 205's owners are mostly the music people. And for the best sounding music you want all the parts from the audio chain to be up to their full potential in synergy. Everything counts, everything is important, experimentation between analog balanced and unbalanced stereo connections. ...All that jazz.

The people who are told to wash/clean their brand new discs are the ones watching Blu-ray UHD movies. ...Not everyone, just a bunch.
The Oppo's laser mechanism is sensitive to those new shiny discs of the BR 4K variety...BD-100 and BD-66

No one is using his machine like the other person; knowing that we have a much better comprehension on each personal situation.
The day that the Oppo 205 is perfect for everyone that'll be the day. :b

Regarding the HDMI Input: It's an important feature of the Oppo 205/203 because streaming is not included. So it has to work in order to compete with the rest which cost less. But like I said; some people have zero use for it, and others base their purchase on it. Differents folks of various strokes.

I love life, I love people, I love music. ...And I love films.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No matter the DAC we use in life the main thing is to be happy with the music we listen to. ...From $49.99 to $499,000.00 (USD).
The Oppo 205 fits somewhere right in the middle.

I know the middle, and $1400 is no where near the middle. Lol!

I stream Netflix, Hulu, etc.. through the hdmi input, for that fact I hope they fix the handshake issues they've created in short order.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Regarding the HDMI Input: It's an important feature of the Oppo 205/203 because streaming is not included. So it has to work in order to compete with the rest which cost less. But like I said; some people have zero use for it, and others base their purchase on it. Differents folks of various strokes.
I agree with your conclusion but you can stream multichannel/PCM/DSD to the 205 by UPnP.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I know the middle, and $1400 is no where near the middle. Lol!

Close enough. :b

I stream Netflix, Hulu, etc.. through the hdmi input, for that fact I hope they fix the handshake issues they've created in short order.

You are not alone. And Kal above just mentioned something I'm not familiar with. I'll take the name and google it for my next audio lesson.

* UPnP - Universal Plug n' Play | Dangerous stuff?

Can you also stream Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Youtube, Amazon, ...via the same 'tunnel'?
And this can also be done wireless, right?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing