Oppo UDP-205 audiophile 4k / universal player & media streamer

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
BDP-105 had confusing and limited music file access via USB port for me. As far as I could tell, one can access music files from a thumb drive or a portable hard drive but not from the network NAS. It would be interesting to learn if the new UDP-205 is a complete stand alone DAC via USB that can handle min DSD128 files and if it can assess NAS with or without the computer running playback apps like the JRiver.

Ki

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
BDP-105 had confusing and limited music file access via USB port for me. As far as I could tell, one can access music files from a thumb drive or a portable hard drive but not from the network NAS.
My 103/105 can access files on my NAS without support from any computer.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm using a Synology NAS and I am currently ripping a large digital music collection and a moderate DVD collection. I will depend on the 205 to render both via Ethernet connection, or with hdmi via a converter. Unfortunately, the Synology does not employ a USB port that transfers information out, only in. I am attempting to convert all video monitors in the house to 4k and the Oppo is just one more step to getting there. I also am hoping to use it as a stand alone DAC for 2 channel listening.

Dan

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have mine, but I'm too tired to set it up today

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Learned something new. Thanks Kal. Will 105 play DSD128 files?

I don't think so. The 205 will play almost anything (except MQA or multi-channel) through its USB input. There's also a choice of several digital filters, including "apodizing". Take a look at the instruction manual at the link above

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Congratulations Dan
I am sure you will enjoy it.
If it is part of your repertoire I would be interested to hear how well it performs as a player with SACD two channel and multichannel discs.
No mad rush!

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Congratulations Dan
I am sure you will enjoy it.
If it is part of your repertoire I would be interested to hear how well it performs as a player with SACD two channel and multichannel discs.
No mad rush!

Thanks Barry,

Found it safe and sound on the porch. As soon as I get it setup and have a little time to break it in, I will let you know my findings in all those areas.

Dan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
... Thanks Kal. Will 105 play DSD128 files?

Don't remember.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files#PWbdz7JP5pdsbcgL.97

Question (Poster #1): "Am using a Korg MR-1000 to create needledrops at 5.6 Mhz. Will this new firmware play these 128x DSD files? Thanks!

Answer (by Kal Rubinson): Not for me. Those files seem to play at half-speed, i.e., slowly and with lowered pitch."

[March 31, 2013]
______

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/04/measurements-oppo-bdp-105-does-dsd.html

"Using the freely available KORG AudioGate 2.3.1, synthetic 24/192 test signals from RightMark 6.2.5 were converted over to DSD64 (2.8MHz sampling) and DSD128 (5.6MHz) for testing. We soon found out that the DSD128 files created could not be played back properly by the Oppo (it would play but the DSD128 files had timing issues - played too slow). Presumably there is a bug here somewhere with the beta firmware or the AudioGate converter. As such, I was only able to test DSD64 playback."
[April 06, 2013]

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files#PWbdz7JP5pdsbcgL.97

Question (Poster #1): "Am using a Korg MR-1000 to create needledrops at 5.6 Mhz. Will this new firmware play these 128x DSD files? Thanks!

Answer (by Kal Rubinson): Not for me. Those files seem to play at half-speed, i.e., slowly and with lowered pitch."

[March 31, 2013]
______

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/04/measurements-oppo-bdp-105-does-dsd.html

"Using the freely available KORG AudioGate 2.3.1, synthetic 24/192 test signals from RightMark 6.2.5 were converted over to DSD64 (2.8MHz sampling) and DSD128 (5.6MHz) for testing. We soon found out that the DSD128 files created could not be played back properly by the Oppo (it would play but the DSD128 files had timing issues - played too slow). Presumably there is a bug here somewhere with the beta firmware or the AudioGate converter. As such, I was only able to test DSD64 playback."
[April 06, 2013]
There you go.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The entire top surface this time:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Listening to it now. Mozart Sym 39, Harnoncourt, Sony 24/96

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
What do you think, so far? I haven't had a chance to hook mine up yet, I've heard from a few people the 105 sounded edgy until broken in...

Dan

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What do you think, so far? I haven't had a chance to hook mine up yet, I've heard from a few people the 105 sounded edgy until broken in...

Dan

Well, the way I have it set I can only easily compare it my BDP-95, and it is a significant improvement over that, both audio and video (not even using 4K or UHD). There may be a bit of edginess there, but I can't say for sure at this point it's the 205; there are some setup changes I need to make over the next few days.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks! Do you run an NAS in your system, and if so how is the cat 5/6 conversion to analog? If you don't have that in your setup, please don't go out of your way to find out. I will get mine setup this weekend and find out soon enough. Passing my cd, SACD, and DVD audio collection from my NAS through the Sabor Pro DACs is one of the big reasons for purchasing this player. Video streaming is a hot button for me, as well.

Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing