Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Oppo UDP-205 audiophile 4k / universal player & media streamer

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Post Today's Fresh Review | The Absolute Sound | By Anthony Cordesman

All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

I am 99.99% certain that I never posted this review before fom AudioXpress:

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP2...%20Digital.pdf

In the world of hi-end sometimes things come to an end:
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ital-shut-down

It's us the videophiles and audiophiles who are losing the most. No one ever came close to Oppo hi-end players performance and value and reliability and service support wise, no one.

With time we'll find more on the exact reasons of this very sad reality.
    But without being a rocket scientist money revenues weren't sustainable for this Oppo division in the year 2017-18

The undercurrent against the internal streaming apps support didn't help I am certain. The new 203 and 205 introduced @ the end of 2016 were the first without apps support. By doing so they shorten their clientele, not expanding it.

I also suspect other vital reasons that made the 203 and 205 "stumbled" from solid ground. Time will tell. But today's glitches are eminent in the professional videophile world...with HDR<>SDR, HDR tone-mapping, Dolby Vision compatibility, 4K disc drive.

No matter what I'd rather use an Oppo player than a cheap player made of recyclable plastic. It's a personal preference, a sense of internal security and trust.

The more I reviewed the fall from the top the more I realized what we have lost; the best universal players used by the professional expert reviewers from all around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    The new 203 and 205 introduced @ the end of 2016 were the first without apps support. By doing so they shorten their clientele, not expanding it.
    When I started to look at 4K players I saw that. I was pretty surprised. It didn't matter that much to me since I use a 4K Apple TV, but I didn't know why.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    When I started to look at 4K players I saw that. I was pretty surprised. It didn't matter that much to me since I use a 4K Apple TV, but I didn't know why.
    For many of us apps in a 4K UHD BR player don't matter. For more than us it does.
    The Oppo 203 and 205 marketing counterbalance was Dolby Vision.
    What is the Dolby Vision situation today; it is a mess, in particular with Sony.
    What is the HDR Tone-Mapping situation today; not fully realized.
    How expert front projector owners/professional videophiles are reacting from their discoveries; with hope of a better improved future.

We all have different priorities in life, Oppo have theirs, the professional video calibrators have theirs; accurate picture stability conformed to the new UHD/HDR video quality standards...including HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

Panasonic and Sony are our new friends going forward...8K imminently.

Addicted to Best!
    FYI, OPPO is considering another run of the 205’s. The OPPO website has a sign up for a potential order. If there is enough interest they may make another batch.

Good to hear. I hope they do this to thwart the inflated eBay prices.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Arrow Linear power supply upgrade | Simple diy and inexpensive

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast