Is this right? Chasing the Dragon.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry at the outset for the ambiguous title...however several questions come to mind.

First off...here is I think...an amazing discussion lead by one poster on an Audiogon Forum who has actively pursued testing amps to find the best.

Here's his starter quote:

<So I have been in a long journey looking to find the best amplifiers for my martin logan montis. As you know, the match between an amplifier and speakers has to be a good "marriage" and needs to be blend exquisitely. Right now, I think I might have found the best sounding amplifier for martin logan. I have gone through approximately 34-36 amplifiers in the past 12 months. Some of these are:

Bryston ST, SST, SST2 series
NAD M25
PARASOUND HALO
PARASOUND CLASSIC
KRELL TAS
KRELL KAV 500
KRELL CHORUS
ROTEL RMB 1095
CLASSE CT 5300
CLASSE CA 2200
CLASSE CA 5200
MCINTOSH MC 205
CARY AUDIO CINEMA 7
OUTLAW AUDIO 755
LEXICON RX7
PASS LABS XA 30.8
BUTLER AUDIO 5150
ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005>

And here's the website link: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/my-long-list-of-amplifiers-and-my-personal-review-of-each

The OP is whitecamaross.

First question, is it right to post form another forum? Why not?

Second why did I post this, simply cos this guy is seeking 'best in class' one a practical level he has tried an amazing catalogue of amps my dear friends. No need to agree/disagree/judge just enjoy one person's experience and super active experience at that.

Geez he's managed to eliminate many amps for me and bring more to my attention that I knew not enough about expect as brands such as SimAudio Moon.

There's about five pages of notes across many brands, and I for one really appreciate his effort to share that experience in a social way with no other drivers except enjoyment, amp turnover as he acquires and sells them in an evolving way as he listens.

Sure there's more and better...but careful, that's judgement already...lol.

In one swoop this guy has answered so many questions about amp signature sounds and value for me than I ever thought was possible. And so I share this with you.:)

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
All I can say is that it must have been a torturous year.. critically listening to 3 amps a month..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked would have been up to the task
Seriously, he's the most persistent tester in audio
I think many have got a lot from his pronouncements on comparisons
This journey sounds right up his street

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing