Who's buying the UpTone Audio ISO REGEN?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have one on order from the initial batch.

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I have ordered one too. Found it to work well with my lampi.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Any reason to think a MicroRendu would benefit from one of these in between the MicroRendu and the DAC?

I like the convenience of Roon + HQ Player feeding the MicroRendu with an iPad Pro as the GUI.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The ISO Regen will give you galvanic isolation between your computer (microRendu) and your DAC.

I've been using the Intona USB galvanic isolator for this, followed by Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB reclocker (I like it better my system than the Regen) and found the combo highly beneficial. The new ISO Regen combines the galvanic isolator and a reclocker (better than the original Regen) in one box.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
I'm in too. Every product I have tried of theirs has made a nice, cost effective, difference.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I'm in too. Every product I have tried of theirs has made a nice, cost effective, difference.

I have yet to use one of their regen products, have the ISO Regen on order BUT can tell you their little LPS-1 is one of the best products I have ever used, particularly given it's price. Right now I am using LPS-1 powered microRendu with a Curious Cable to a JCAT Intona Box with a short jumper USB from the JCAT to my MSB DAC and it is the fabulous. I look forward to trying the ISO Regen in place of the Intona. I have an MSB Select II coming any day so whichever I like better will go on that and the other on my headphone rig.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have yet to use one of their regen products, have the ISO Regen on order BUT can tell you their little LPS-1 is one of the best products I have ever used, particularly given it's price. Right now I am using LPS-1 powered microRendu with a Curious Cable to a JCAT Intona Box with a short jumper USB from the JCAT to my MSB DAC and it is the fabulous. I look forward to trying the ISO Regen in place of the Intona. I have an MSB Select II coming any day so whichever I like better will go on that and the other on my headphone rig.

You may want to try Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB reclocker between the Intona and your DAC. It makes a great difference in my system, as the Intona was never designed with audiophiles in mind - the USB signal integrity and voltage regulation in the Intona are only so so.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I have tried most, maybe all (popular ones) of the add on gizmos. What I have found sounds by far the very best to me without reservation is the SOtM SMS-200 (powered by Vinnie Rossi PSU @ 12v) run in wifi mode with HQPlayer. In this configuration there is no need for any galvanic isolation, special PSU's for hard drives or mother boards, JCat usb cards, expensive ethernet cables, etc. The only thing you should have is the Sablon USB cable and good wifi signal. The only caveat is that since I have Amanero, I have not been able to try DSD 256, only 128, but I am pretty sure (once Lampi gets the driver upgrades out to customers) there won't be an issue. What I am looking forward to though is the new soon to be released SOtM 200 ULTRA. I think if you can get over the 'wireless' aspect and give this a try, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have tried most, maybe all (popular ones) of the add on gizmos. What I have found sounds by far the very best to me without reservation is the SOtM SMS-200 (powered by Vinnie Rossi PSU @ 12v) run in wifi mode with HQPlayer. In this configuration there is no need for any galvanic isolation, special PSU's for hard drives or mother boards, JCat usb cards, expensive ethernet cables, etc. The only thing you should have is the Sablon USB cable and good wifi signal. The only caveat is that since I have Amanero, I have not been able to try DSD 256, only 128, but I am pretty sure (once Lampi gets the driver upgrades out to customers) there won't be an issue. What I am looking forward to though is the new soon to be released SOtM 200 ULTRA. I think if you can get over the 'wireless' aspect and give this a try, you will be pleasantly surprised.

SOtM sMS-200, just like the microRendu, benefits greatly from a good PSU. However, Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB and Intona galvanic isolator, take the sMS-200 even futher. At least they do in my system.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
SOtM sMS-200, just like the microRendu, benefits greatly from a good PSU. However, Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB and Intona galvanic isolator, take the sMS-200 even futher. At least they do in my system.

What is your opinion on sq using the 200 in 'wifi' mode? I honestly haven't even tried any isolation since switching from wired connections.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What is your opinion on sq using the 200 in 'wifi' mode? I honestly haven't even tried any isolation since switching from wired connections.

No idea. My understanding is that you need a separte WiFi dongle to make the WiFi work. The added WiFi circuity may actually create more noise than wired Ethernet connection - there is galvanic isolation on both sides of Ethernet cable, so the amount of noise that gets through from the router is rather low.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
No idea. My understanding is that you need a separte WiFi dongle to make the WiFi work. The added WiFi circuity may actually create more noise than wired Ethernet connection - there is galvanic isolation on both sides of Ethernet cable, so the amount of noise that gets through from the router is rather low.

Yes, you do need the dongle but this is pretty cheap to buy. I urge you to try it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing