Which transport for my Nagra HD DAC

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have a combo MSB Platinum CD IV+DAC IV+Power base. Exellent sound with my Vitus pre and Datzeel 108 amp to my Focal Grande Utopia Em.
I recently bought a used Nagra HD DAC with VPS pwer supply (no batteries). I play the MSB transport to the Nagra and it is a very good SQ improvment over the MSB DAC. Everything is a bit better. To my surprise even Spotify Premium now sound fantastic.
The MSB transport is very good but i have a feeling that there is better options. Need input from Nagra HD owners. Would a used CEC TLO3 or used Metronome Kallista make a big improvment (both about 14000USD used)? Other suggestions?
Nagra own transport is now not on their homesite any more and it is about 12 yeras old. I dont know if Nagra will have an new transport?
Any CDP that have very good transport (for exampel used Vitus CD025mk2 at 12000usd)?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Hi Ulf, I have heard great things about the Nagra dac from Ed (Eurodriver) and would suggest the Nagra CDT would be a sensible match. There is a used one listed on ebay.co.uk right now for £6k.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Not sure if this will be of interest, but Roy Gregory has posted some very positive comments on The Audio Beat on Stenhiem speakers and the system used Nagra HD DAC and CDT transport.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some time ago I owned a Nagra CDP - an used bargain I could not resist. I enjoyed it a lot as a CD player. However when compared with other CD transports such as the ARC REF8 and the Metronome Calypso ( both used the same Philps Pro mechanism) or a CEC TL1X , I found it lacking life and fine detail. DAC's were mainly the Metronome C2A and an old Sonic Frontier CD2.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Ulf,

We would be happy to arrange a demo of the Sound Galleries Music server converting all formats to DSD 128 for the Nagra HD to perform its musical D>A.

Does your unit have the optional balanced output transformers ? With these transformers, the HD really sings

Best

Ed

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Read that your sound galleries server is something special and would Love to hear it. The only concern would be the high
Price.
I dont have the output transformer. Reading the net i got mixed answers how good this tweak is.
I once have both Nagra cdp and gryphon Mikado signature cdp in My system. As a cdp Nagra was best and the best one box cdp i have ever listened to. When I inserted a Berkeley dac (not ref) in my system Gryphon cdp was better as transport then the Nagra
cdp. I don't know if the transport in Nagra cdp is the same as in the Nagra cdt

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Read that your sound galleries server is something special and would Love to hear it. The only concern would be the high
Price.
I dont have the output transformer. Reading the net i got mixed answers how good this tweak is.
I once have both Nagra cdp and gryphon Mikado signature cdp in My system. As a cdp Nagra was best and the best one box cdp i have ever listened to. When I inserted a Berkeley dac (not ref) in my system Gryphon cdp was better as transport then the Nagra
cdp. I don't know if the transport in Nagra cdp is the same as in the Nagra cdt

We have a SGM owner in Holland who upgraded his Nagra HD with the output transformers and was very pleased with the sound quality improvement. This same owner has been bowled over with the SQ uplift that came with HQ Player 3.16 and the latest operating environment of the SGM.

PM'ing you with some more details

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I finally settled for the C.E.C. TLO 3.0 belt drive transport.
It makes fantastic sound with my Nagra HD dac. My old collection of CDs sound better then ever.
I have put my computer music on hold.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It makes fantastic sound with my Nagra HD dac. My old collection of CDs sound better then ever.

Congratulations. Are you finding better sound spinning redbook cd's vs downloads ? If so...I am too...I've tried all sorts of computer configs...I can get better resolution, but not really better musicality...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
J, I find that fascinating, and yr Vivaldi stack is right up there
Typing in as I listen to a COMPACT DISC of Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's and finding I'm fully involved

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
J, I find that fascinating, and yr Vivaldi stack is right up there
Typing in as I listen to a COMPACT DISC of Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's and finding I'm fully involved

It may be something in the delivery of the bits via the ethernet interface. We know USB has issues vs ethernet in a dCS stack (not trying to get into a ethernet vs usb war...just in my set up the ethernet is clearly better). Could also be something in the mastering of high res files vs quality redbook. I have a few ECM 24/96 or 24/192 that I also have in red book cd. I prefer the CD. You can sense the better resolution via the file, but misses on the weight on the notes and how things are stitched together and just overall enjoyment. Also have a few 2xHD titles in 2xDSD from tape and then the Resonance redbook cd version...same outcome. And the redbook cd's are usually pretty cheap via Amazon...

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Spinning the incedible CD Lorena McKennitt Nights from Alhambra from my new rig was at overwhelming experience
One of the best live performance ever

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Ulf - I have the cec tlox and with dual PC, audiophile optimiser , sotm usb card , intona , linear psu to each PC and wfs thingo , I am getting more out of PC by a small margin on redbook but more on hi res
Not the most stable system but I love the convenience
I do think the cec transports are excellent - it is the third I have owned on a continuous upgrade but I would recommend you defeat the cone supports and use something like still points - I made a timber block with a conical hole to seat them in on my DIY still points and got a good improvement - I am not an enthusiast for spikes and will be playing with nagra HD dac base when I had time
Cheers
Phil

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane

Ulf - meant to start out the previous post with a congratulations on the cec - it is a great choice and I do wonder how much better is it than the tlox

Phil

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks pjwd
Can you tell me more what still points you use

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks pjwd
Can you tell me more what still points you use

Ulf - it is a DIY that has similar principals - I drilled out a timber block in stepped holes to take the conical shape of the footer and then added another block under - both blocks have a circular recess that takes 3 silicone nitride ball bearings and a tungsten bearing separates them so it is vaguely similar to a still point in that it is a cluster of bearings- I have attached a picture to explain it ( the wire bits sticking out where "absorbers" I was playing with similar to what finite elements used in their racks years ago - not sure how much they help if at all - this was all done about 10 years ago when I was more energetic)

IMAG1606.jpg

I would just try some alternate footers under the case of the CEC and see how it goes

prompted by your post I listened to loreena mckennitt for the first time in years - very nice - presume you are a fan of June Tabour - Ashore is a great album

cheers,

Phil

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Looks impresive
Found Ashore on Spotify- nice album
What Cable do you use between CEC and dac?

Ulf

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The icing on the cake was inserting Oracle MA-X digital AES/EBU cable between CEC and Nagra
It is My first Oracle cable and it took a while to determine where to put the knob to give the best result.
But it was worthwhile.The sound open up and dynamics was fantastic.
But just for fun I took a length of my xlr interconnect that I use between My Hanss acoustic TT and Audio Research phono amp to substitute the Oracle. The sound was equally fantastic. Even a bit more air around voices but perhaps little more defined bass with the Oracle.
The interconnect is from a new Swedish company called Tarfala Audio. A length of their cable is about 1200usd against the Oracle 4000.

Last edited:

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
The icing on the cake was inserting Oracle MA-X digital AES/EBU cable between CEC and Nagra
It is My first Oracle cable and it took a while to determine where to put the knob to give the best result.
But it was worthwhile.The sound open up and dynamics was fantastic.
But just for fun I took a length of my xlr interconnect that I use between My Hanss acoustic TT and Audio Research phono amp to substitute the Oracle. The sound was equally fantastic. Even a bit more air around voices but perhaps little more defined bass with the Oracle.
The interconnect is from a new Swedish company called Tarfala Audio. A length of their cable is about 1200usd against the Oracle 4000.

Great news - a discovery like that is always satisfying - I had a look at the website but not much info currently

cheers,

Phil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing