My spirits have been lifted

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Ash .. My room is 6m x 8m x 2.6m .. the lowish ceiling is my biggest bugbear but I cant do anything about it.
I still have to wrap my head around the fact that the spirits are smaller than G1's yet are the flagships ..
My wifes comment was "I hope these smaller speakers were cheaper than the black ones"

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Ash .. My room is 6m x 8m x 2.6m .. the lowish ceiling is my biggest bugbear but I cant do anything about it.
I still have to wrap my head around the fact that the spirits are smaller than G1's yet are the flagships ..
My wifes comment was "I hope these smaller speakers were cheaper than the black ones"

Hello Rodney, many thanks for the feedback. Your room is about 1m wider, 1m longer with slightly lower roof than my room (7x4.9x2.8m) so that is very helpful info for me. Really looking forward to further updates from you. I am sure your wife will be amazed to find out that your new "cheaper" speakers sound so much better than the bigger ones!!!! Happy listening. Cheers

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Hilarious. But only if she really meant it :eek: Perhaps I should find a partner like that. Sounds like I should have no difficulties getting these through the door at $6,000:

http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/2941

From one of my previous posts:

"As every audiophile knows the first thing any audiophile has to come to terms with for any purchase is a budget. In my experience, there are 3 kinds of audiophile budgets; the actual cost, the cost he tells his wife, and the cost he tells his friends. In my case, I have the good fortune to be in a situation where the first two are identical. That does not mean that this comes without some sort of quid pro quo. You can bet your ass that it does. Now, as far as the cost you share with your friends, that is determined by what kind of friends you are referring to. To the friends that come to the house and see some big fancy speakers and electronics that glow nicely in the dark, I always tell them that no matter what piece of gear they point to, the cost is about thousand dollars, tops. Hey, we have to live with these people and that figure doesn’t bend them out of shape very much. Moreover, it computes well with them as they nod quietly and realize it’s more than they spent on their Bose system so it all makes sense, even if they think we’re crazy. (If they only knew!). However, to fellow audiophiles and folks who read blogs such as WTF, there is no need to disclose the cost- you already know it. But still, there has to be a budget."

I will now add this addendum which is obvious. In general, WAF is inversely proportional to the ugliness of the component. Personally, I think the G1 is gorgeous. Not sure what my wife would think. After all, she thinks my Wilson Alexandrias are one of the ugliest creations ever made. You can bet that was one tough sell. I am still paying my quid pro quo for that.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ah, a trip to Cartier in NYC is in order for you, I guess :) Beauty, in exchange for the ugliness you just bought :cool:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
From one of my previous posts:

"As every audiophile knows the first thing any audiophile has to come to terms with for any purchase is a budget. In my experience, there are 3 kinds of audiophile budgets; the actual cost, the cost he tells his wife, and the cost he tells his friends. In my case, I have the good fortune to be in a situation where the first two are identical. That does not mean that this comes without some sort of quid pro quo. You can bet your ass that it does. Now, as far as the cost you share with your friends, that is determined by what kind of friends you are referring to. To the friends that come to the house and see some big fancy speakers and electronics that glow nicely in the dark, I always tell them that no matter what piece of gear they point to, the cost is about thousand dollars, tops. Hey, we have to live with these people and that figure doesn’t bend them out of shape very much. Moreover, it computes well with them as they nod quietly and realize it’s more than they spent on their Bose system so it all makes sense, even if they think we’re crazy. (If they only knew!). However, to fellow audiophiles and folks who read blogs such as WTF, there is no need to disclose the cost- you already know it. But still, there has to be a budget."

I will now add this addendum which is obvious. In general, WAF is inversely proportional to the ugliness of the component. Personally, I think the G1 is gorgeous. Not sure what my wife would think. After all, she thinks my Wilson Alexandrias are one of the ugliest creations ever made. You can bet that was one tough sell. I am still paying my quid pro quo for that.

Marty, can you add a link that WTF blog :D!

david

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Here is what an audiophile pal of mine had to say after listening to the Spirits this afternoon.....

What an experience, and a wonderful EXPERIENCE it is. This speaker is a tour de force and should not be compared to the G1s, as it is an entirely different beast and should be considered in a class of it's own.

Rodney and myself were joking that we should develop a goose bump inducing measuring machine, think along the lines of those old analogue machines with a thousand knobs - they give you a constant supply of goose bumps from head to toe, that's what these speakers do to you. At the same time, the High Glossary of Audio Terms can be thrown out of the door, There is so much RIGHT that these speakers do that there is no need for you to even think in terms of audiophile terms to express what you are hearing.

It is the first time ever, that I could with the greatest of ease make out each instrument, note being played, the specific place that they are in, the textures, colours, values, the softest to the loudest notes of these instruments, including voices, the sense of space, as in width, height and especially depth of the venue/soundstage are all stupendous. And all of that is not etched, nor forced, nor hard on the ear, at any volume and I pushed it to levels that Rodney squealed he had not listened at.

There was hardly any music, that I knew very well, that wasn't a revelation. From Rosa Passos 'Rosa' album(Telarc) [ which is a magical album both for production values and content], the first track 'Duas Contas' with just her voice is amazing. As Rodney opined earlier all the inflections of the artist(s), the nuances in the language[Portugese here], the phrasing, the atmosphere, ambience and sense of the huge space around and behind her is palpable and easily heard. There is absolutely no ways that this is not goose bump inducing.

Take Hamilton de Holanda's [plays 10 string Mandolin] 'Brasilianos' cd where he is accompanied by an acoustic guitar, electric bass, harmonica and drums in an intimate setting [pics are provided in the booklet], the sounds he and his sidekicks produces are exquisite. His mandolin playing kicks butt. The Spirits conveys the sound in a connectable, tangible and emotional way that I have not experienced with the G1s at its best in Rodney's or any other room.

Lastly, another torture track from the many that I played that was memorable to the nth degree, that I have not played for a long while was Stanley Clarke's ' Lord Of The Low Frequencies' from his East River Drive album - this track had many a system in years past go into protection mode. Not here, no matter how loud you turned it up, the music just sounded better and better and you are helpless in the need to control your facial muscles, as you just smile and keep on smiling with the pleasure this induces.

Of all the mental notes I took, and lots of it I did in the beginning, I later just gave up, and if I had to choose one thing that struck me the most, it had to be this : it is the first time in all my years of listening to music that I can say with total conviction, that I can now hear the artist(s) intent for making the music. And the conveying of this process is as natural is it should be when listening to it through this awesome system.

On a sad note and this comes with a warning, to his credit, this is the first time ever, that Rodney put me out of his house! I took no heed of his subtly telling me that he would put a bed up for me in his room, and then he point blank asked me to leave. Guys, you ARE going to find it hard to leave and I think I have set the standard which Rodney now has to factor in when inviting whomever, that he WILL have to ask you to leave! Thanks for a wonderful afternoon Rodney and congratulations on your latest achievement.

This truly is a remarkable speaker and a great achievement, Kudos to Laurence Dickie and team

Reactions: sbo6

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Good catch David. Some Freudian typo I'm sure! The "WTF" blog is what I said when my wife took my to Cartier at Tasos' suggestion.

:cool:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Some Pics

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I love that honey-gold color! Enjoy!

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Vivid will take my G1's as a trade in .. the deal was that i get to play with both sets for a month before I have to decide to take the Spirits or not.. but thats academic now.. these wont leave my room..but I still want to play with both sets just to make 100% sure.. and to some extent get a good handle on just what they are doing compared to the G1's
G1s will most likely go back to the factory for a once over and sold as refurbished.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The snail ones? I dunno , never heard a set .. there is a local guy selling a set , serial no 71 and 72 for around $35k .. sans any of the quad amps you need to drive them ... I wasnt tempted ... however the G1 spirits eclipse anything I *have* heard .. they have a quality that is beyond putting into words .. tho my friend tried
Here are some more comments from him...

I threw every testing piece of music I knew well and this system passed it with so much ease and enjoyment.

With the G1s you were still searching for refinements, with the Spirits music flows forth in an organic and truthful way to recording that it beggars belief. I have never ever enjoyed a system as much as I did yesterday. Period.

I would love to hear a piece of music that will trip this speaker up.

As always, all the conjectures and opinions of them must be put aside until/unless you have listened to them, you will be blown away. Even your expectations will be proven wrong, mine was.

I played The Rite Of Strings which has Al di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Jean-Luc Ponty (violin) and my favorite track is Song to John, this track is the most resolved that I have ever heard.

There is no mistaking the sound, techniques, etc, of each maestro's instrument of choice. This recording is delicious in it's textures and colours these guys create and for many years a staple of mine.

There is a time in the recording when the separation is like night and day and I haven't heard this before, I was seriously gobsmacked with the music. I saw Al di Meola live and this took me as close as I could get to that experience.

You know that feeling of euphoria that you get when something magic, something spectacular has happened or that you experienced, that is how I felt hours later. I want more....

I also played other guitarists :

Ottmar Liebert's 'At Amali's Grove' from his One Guitar album - haunting and stunning with the space around him and his technique captured in all its glory;

Bill Frisell's 'Walking Stick' and ' Tell Your Ma, Tell Your Pa' off his Big Sur album with accompaniment of Jenny Scheinmann (violin), Eyvind Kang (violin), Hank Roberts (cello) and Rudy Royston(drums). I love the tone of Bill Frisell's guitar(s).

Some other music tried, which sounds like pale old vanilla hifi on other systems, not so on the Spirits :

Solo voice : Tuck & Patti's 'Drum' from Learning How To Fly and 'High Heel Shoes' off their Dream album.

'Dance To The Drummer' , title track from Cassandra Wilson; Carmen Souza's ' MSta Li Ma Bo' off her Protegid album, Bobby McFerrin's 'Selim' from Bang Zoom and Susanah McCorkles 'Manha de Carnaval' off her Sabia album ( and many, many audiophile compilation cds) were all memorable.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have heard both the Snails and the G1's. The Snails are an absolutely superb speaker. Brilliant on many fronts and before the advent of the G1's, were my top pick for a large speaker in a large room. The G1's are a more advanced and complete version of the Snails. The G1's have, at least to my ears, a more 'of the same cloth' sound than the Snails. The Snails could at times sound a little bit disjointed....like the tweeter was quicker than the woofer, etc....although this mainly in comparison with the G1's. Since the Spirit's are a major step up over the G1's, I can only imagine how potent the Spirit's must be!!
Rodney, you must have one BIG grin on your face right now....just don't let the better half know the price, LOL.:eek::D:D

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Davey.. I had a whole lot of yank muscle I had collected , I sold a corvette and a Camaro to afford the G1's and have just sold my last 95 corvette to fund the spirit upgrade (as well as the upgrade to my amps , Im going to a Devialet 1000pro system over my D premiers)
What with my heart attack and quad bypass and other issues , the cars were a waste as I hardly drove them.. in fact I dont even drive anymore after some dweeb wrote off my supercharged jag by slamming into me at 100kph from behind..I uber
My wife is aware of what it all cost me .. essentially nothing as I have swapped assets that gave me no real joy to one that does and get garage/parking space back...however she doesnt like the colour of the spirits ... not that it bothers me.... :)

Forget what you have heard with G1's .. the spirits are in a different league.. I am sure that they will be positively reviewed and gushed over by the pro reviewers .. and garnish more "best of " awards...
I swore the G1's were my "exit" speakers.. I broke that oath...and I wont be looking back...enen at their eye watering price of $93 000..I think it's a bargain

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rodney, I hear you re the cars v Spirits
I'm about to drop $30k on my '68 Citroen DS21, cash that could easily get me a Kuzma tt and arm, SGM server and dac, new flagship Zus when launched or alt AG Duos
However, the Cit believe it or not is my daily driver, doing 350-400 miles a week, despite being a year short of it's half centenary
My GF doesn't share in my audio hobby and just loves swanning around in the Cit, and I would have found it nr impossible to sell it to fund more audio when I already have a sound and esp room I'm v happy with
Having spent $70k on the room and power grid, I'm going to sit tight
And have a shiny, as new classic car, before I sign the cheque on any further upgrades
But no doubt if I wasn't driving it at all, or only sporadically, I'd realise a lump sum on it to invest in audio as you're doing

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey.. I had a whole lot of yank muscle I had collected , I sold a corvette and a Camaro to afford the G1's and have just sold my last 95 corvette to fund the spirit upgrade (as well as the upgrade to my amps , Im going to a Devialet 1000pro system over my D premiers)
What with my heart attack and quad bypass and other issues , the cars were a waste as I hardly drove them.. in fact I dont even drive anymore after some dweeb wrote off my supercharged jag by slamming into me at 100kph from behind..I uber
My wife is aware of what it all cost me .. essentially nothing as I have swapped assets that gave me no real joy to one that does and get garage/parking space back...however she doesnt like the colour of the spirits ... not that it bothers me.... :)

Forget what you have heard with G1's .. the spirits are in a different league.. I am sure that they will be positively reviewed and gushed over by the pro reviewers .. and garnish more "best of " awards...
I swore the G1's were my "exit" speakers.. I broke that oath...and I wont be looking back...enen at their eye watering price of $93 000..I think it's a bargain

Rodney, great to hear the better half is on board....you sir are a lucky man!
In my case, I would not be selling any cars to fund audio....but for different reasons.
I'm now a little nervous to hear the Spirit's....after all who needs that much temptation :eek::D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing