My spirits have been lifted

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits in my front door entrance ...awaiting uncrating..tomorrow should be exciting....

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Congratulations Rodney !!!! Now try get some sleep :)..... Looking forward to see the roll out documented tomorrow . All the best .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You better have yr spirits lifted Rodney
Because your back may tell you otherwise tmrw LOL
The best of British luck

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Nice, if I wasn't embarking on my high efficiency horn journey these were at my top of considerations :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good luck with the unpacking!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Congrat's Rodney. Enjoy!

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow congrats. Take care moving them into position

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have a month to decide whether I want to keep the spirits or my G1's .. so both speakers are going to be on castors .. I will wheel one set away when playing the other
I was listening to the G1's last night and wondering how much better it can get than that....
I will report back ..
None of this 100hours of break in nonsense .. a day or 2 with me thrashing the speakers and they *will* be broken in..luckily my room is soundproof
The speaker colour is copper .. however I dont know the exact shade used .. so also on tenterhooks to find out

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Wow. I was looking at the manufacturer's website - they have a very interesting slideshow showing the development of the speaker and the manufacturing of the prototypes. There is always something special about any speaker that goes to these sorts of lengths to design a cabinet that isn't actually "there".

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I have a month to decide whether I want to keep the spirits or my G1's .. so both speakers are going to be on castors .. I will wheel one set away when playing the other
I was listening to the G1's last night and wondering how much better it can get than that....
I will report back ..
None of this 100hours of break in nonsense .. a day or 2 with me thrashing the speakers and they *will* be broken in..luckily my room is soundproof
The speaker colour is copper .. however I dont know the exact shade used .. so also on tenterhooks to find out

For the room dimensions I was planning the lower height of mid/tweeter made them closer to ear level. That was the great benefit for me.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
up and singing , despite the compromised placement and fresh out the box , they already sound wonderful

Pics dont do the colour justice , its a richer colour than the photos provide
The Xover box can be spiked , I need to put castors on it so when I drag the speakers around the box follows
They go where the G1s stand when I do the comparison..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Rodney

for me the biggest improvement over the two speakers is that the tweeter is lower on the Spirit and creates a more believable soundstage as to where the singer's mouth is. I always felt the G1 imaged too high. The Spirit has fixed this

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
IMHO, I have just not found this the case in real world setups including my room. I can see where some would feel the image is slightly higher than other speakers. but if you think about it when you go to a live event the good seats have you looking up and the cheap seats have you looking down :D

Rodney

for me the biggest improvement over the two speakers is that the tweeter is lower on the Spirit and creates a more believable soundstage as to where the singer's mouth is. I always felt the G1 imaged too high. The Spirit has fixed this

Steve Williams

IMHO, I have just not found this the case in real world setups including my room. I can see where some would feel the image is slightly higher than other speakers. but if you think about it when you go to a live event the good seats have you looking up and the cheap seats have you looking down :D

we will have to agree to disagree but whenever I heard the speaker at Philip's house the vocal presentations were unrealistically high. It wasn't until we talked Philip into putting the rear spikes on the speaker so that it tilted ever so slightly downwards that the problem was ameliorated.

IMHO the G2 and G3 image better than the original G1. As I said I believe Dickey realized this and lowered the drivers

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
If you ever make it back to Dallas I would love to have you over for a listen Steve.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
up and singing , despite the compromised placement and fresh out the box , they already sound wonderful

Pics dont do the colour justice , its a richer colour than the photos provide
The Xover box can be spiked , I need to put castors on it so when I drag the speakers around the box follows
(...)

They look great, congratulations. The color seems to blend perfectly with your room - a very positive listening bias IMHO! :)

It seems strange to me that Lawrence Dickey went for an external crossover - as far as I remember he was not a tweak person considering passive components or crossovers. May be he is also considering an active crossover, like in the original Nautilus ...

Steve Williams

Thanks Scott. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the G1 as Philip and I are almost neighbors. If there wasn't a problem how do you explain that Dickey created a new and better G1 Spirit flagship with the tweeter level now several inches lower than the G1

I still feel that the G2 and G3 image better than the original G1. The Spirit has dealt with that issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing