With the A9, Sony is no longer just firing warning shots at Canon and Nikon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Move over Canon and Nikon. This is the new kid on the block. From everything I have read this new Sony camera out performs the Canon 5D Mk 4 and is the real deal as it is so, loaded with features

by Jaron Schneider

http://www.imaging-resource.com/art...onger-firing-warning-shots-at-canon-and-nikon

Nikon has already moved over for Sony, it's in no.2 spot. This is a very good year for new cameras, including the Sony we have the new M10, Fuji GFX 50S :D! and the Hasselblad X1D.

david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Move over Canon and Nikon. This is the new kid on the block. From everything I have read this new Sony camera out performs the Canon 5D Mk 4 and is the real deal as it is so, loaded with features

by Jaron Schneider

http://www.imaging-resource.com/art...onger-firing-warning-shots-at-canon-and-nikon

it's all about the lenses.

bodies come and go. they are all so good now, it comes down to which lens family you are committed to.......or anticipate being committed to.

and the type of photography you do. I wish I was good enough at it for the body to matter that much. I'm not.

Steve Williams

it's all about the lenses.

bodies come and go. they are all so good now, it comes down to which lens family you are committed to.......or anticipate being committed to.

and the type of photography you do. I wish I was good enough at it for the body to matter that much. I'm not.

Body matters Mike but I also agree about what family of lenses to which you commit. If you have all Canon lenses and want this Sony camera all you need is a lens adapter

Steve Williams

Nikon has already moved over for Sony, it's in no.2 spot. This is a very good year for new cameras, including the Sony we have the new M10, Fuji GFX 50S :D! and the Hasselblad X1D.

david

That new Hasselblad mirrorless looks very interesting. I'm seeing prices on it from $8995 to $13,995

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Body matters Mike but I also agree about what family of lenses to which you commit. If you have all Canon lenses and want this Sony camera all you need is a lens adapter

a lens adapter only gets you so far. it does not replace what 'system bodies' can do to optimize types of photography.

if you are an action photographer (sports, wildlife, kids) then speed (at low ambient light) and long lens optimization is going to be at least equal to ultimate resolution or sensor performance....as well as use with tele-converters.

the Sony body is not going to be competitive with the best Canon bodies for those type uses.

there are lots of other uses where it's advantages might help. again; most of us folks are the likely limitation, not the camera body, to the result.

Steve Williams

I'm happy with my Canon EOS 1Dx Mk. 2. Full Pro lense line up from 600mm f/4 to 16-35 f/2.8.
I'm not changing...

Christian I know you're not a wee lad :) but how are you wrt holding that camera without a tripod

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian I know you're not a wee lad :) but how are you wrt holding that camera without a tripod

I use a tripod when I shoot birds with the 600mm. The biggest carbon fiber gitzo. Here's a recent shot with my 7Dmk2 100-400L IS ver 2 combo. Effective reach 640mm and its hand holdable for wildlife, birds and other action subjects.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 122

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

my 1DX with the f4 400mm DO II is fine hand held. my f4 500mm II can be hand held for limited periods, but is better on a monopod, or tripod. and typically, you are using tele's with those lenses so you are trying to get a reasonable percentage of keepers.

the lens for hand held is the f3.8-4.5L 100-400 II, which is the perfect hand held very sharp and fast lens when the light is good.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That new Hasselblad mirrorless looks very interesting. I'm seeing prices on it from $8995 to $13,995

I'm a Fuji fan, seriously thinking of getting one but as Mike L. mentioned the money is in the lenses and I'm already heavily invested in Hassy & Contax lenses.

david

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
A colleague of mine has the new Sony system and is selling all his Canon equipment!

I feel a bit like a dinosaur with my Nikon camera but I love my lenses.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

Hi Steve, long time no chat :) In theory you can mount a Canon lens on a Sony body via an adapter. But in practice, you will find the lens will behave so flaky that you shouldn't bother. Remember, Canon lenses have electronic apertures, electronic focusing, and some have image stabilization. If the lens is unhappy with the adapter, it might misbehave. Many Sony users complain of AF that doesn't work, some lenses lose aperture control, etc. There is a list somewhere of what lenses are compatible, which I can't seem to find at the moment.

In any case, Sony is now pushing out native lenses for the E-mount fairly quickly. Before long, the E-mount system will be competitive with Canon and Nikon.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I’m sticking with my Canon kit. If were to stray into a realm of a different perspective, manual focus , Leica M10 and a few M lenses would fit the bill nicely.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing