MBL at AXPONA

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
I attended AXPONA 2017 in Chicago yesterday. There were some good-sounding rooms, some not so good. To me, the MBL room was one of the rooms that particularly stood out. When I entered, the room was packed and it was one of the large conference room.

At AXPONA, people tend to come and go from the rooms fairly quickly, often leaving in the middle of songs, sometimes during their first song. And there tends to be quite a bit of talking during songs. But the MBL room had staying power. The sound was engaging and emotionally involving. When the second song ended, I noticed the room was dead quiet, no one had left, and no one was moving. People were still absorbed in and engaged by the last song.

When I went home and told my wife about it, she said, "Isn't that why you audiophiles go to these things? Isn't that what you're looking for?" Yes. Yes it is.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Jeremy always puts on a great show, especially using awesome source material!!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Agreed. I attended the show too and felt that the MBL room was one of the best sounding presentations of the show. Yes, Bruce, the source material was great. Probably your work!

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
That room presented some unique challenges this year.
The entire rear wall was draped in a 1/4" thick velvet wall to wall, ceiling to floor drape that was literally sucking the life outta the music.

We contemplated taking it down but then the opposite issue presented itself, behind the drape was a glass dry erase marker board that ran the width of the room, super reflective.
Lucky we had the acoustic wings room treatments that we could roll in behind the speakers to push the sound back at the room instead of being sucked into that velvet vortex behind the speakers!

Just an iPhone video I shot in the room for grins....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here are some pictures I took:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing