Best single box cd/sacd/dac available today?

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Hi All,
Interested in people thoughts on this one.
I have been server based for a while now and am looking to bring back the transport.

Looking at a single box soulution and am not overly concerned if it has USB as I can use a converter which will clean up the signal.

My shortlist so far
TAD D600 or D1000mk2
Esoteric k-01
T+A mp3100hv

I'm sure there's others so appreciate any suggestions.

Leaning toward the TAD units as I already have some TAD components and the build quality and performance is stellar.

Thanks for reading!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not sure why you have excluded the T+A PDP 3000HV - getting a big reputation.
DCS Rossini also very good but needs a DCS clock to be at its best.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Not sure why you have excluded the T+A PDP 3000HV - getting a big reputation.

+1 for T and A HV3000

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia

Hi Barry,

Maybe I minsunderstood the OP, but I think the DCS Rossini has to be discounted as it is not SACD compatible. I think the OP wanted a one box solution for CD and SACD combined with additional digital inputs so I think it would have to be a Puccini Player. But sorry to you and to OP if I did not understand.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have the TAD D600 which replaced an Audio Aero La Source. This is the best single box player that I have ever heard. Highly musical. The build quality is indeed second to none. The lack of USB would be my main beef and the TAD distributor recently confirmed me that there is no plan for an upgrade in that respect. Be aware that the stock umbilicals between the main unit and the power supply are very short. You can however request longer ones at an extra cost when you confirm your order (which I did).

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Hi Barry,

Maybe I minsunderstood the OP, but I think the DCS Rossini has to be discounted as it is not SACD compatible. I think the OP wanted a one box solution for CD and SACD combined with additional digital inputs so I think it would have to be a Puccini Player. But sorry to you and to OP if I did not understand.

You are right I am looking for a single box dac/cd/sacd player.

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
I have the TAD D600 which replaced an Audio Aero La Source. This is the best single box player that I have ever heard. Highly musical. The build quality is indeed second to none. The lack of USB would be my main beef and the TAD distributor recently confirmed me that there is no plan for an upgrade in that respect. Be aware that the stock umbilicals between the main unit and the power supply are very short. You can however request longer ones at an extra cost when you confirm your order (which I did).

Thanks dcc for your input. I am very strongly considering the D600. Even though it has been around for some time I don't see that as a problem.
The UPCG clock in the D600 was also carried over to the D1000 so TAD must be very content with the performance of this technology.

The build quality like you mentioned is so impressive.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,

Thanks Jonathan.
My mistake.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hi All,
Interested in people thoughts on this one.
I have been server based for a while now and am looking to bring back the transport.

Looking at a single box soulution and am not overly concerned if it has USB as I can use a converter which will clean up the signal.

My shortlist so far
TAD D600 or D1000mk2
Esoteric k-01
T+A mp3100hv

I'm sure there's others so appreciate any suggestions.

Leaning toward the TAD units as I already have some TAD components and the build quality and performance is stellar.

Thanks for reading!

I would not rate the K-01. It is very detailed but too cold and brittle IMO compared to other top DACs. It has USB input, but the sound on offer does not reflect it's own build quality. It is also not cheap.

The T+A looks interesting mind....

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I would not rate the K-01. It is very detailed but too cold and brittle IMO compared to other top DACs. It has USB input, but the sound on offer does not reflect it's own build quality. It is also not cheap.

The T+A looks interesting mind....

Great list above for sure....EMMLabs and DCS always come up on the lists as does the top of the line Ayre.

The K-01 and its successor the K-01X are definitely not cold and brittle when the right interconnects, power cord and downstream electronics are utilized.

There is a new top act in town as well...the Esoteric Grandioso K1 has to be heard to be believed. There are cases of users with well-known SOTA brands other than Esoteric moving to it, saying they are glad they did...and that's before any break-in of any substantial number of hours has been done.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Great list above for sure....EMMLabs and DCS always come up on the lists as does the top of the line Ayre.

The K-01 and its successor the K-01X are definitely not cold and brittle when the right interconnects, power cord and downstream electronics are utilized.

There is a new top act in town as well...the Esoteric Grandioso K1 has to be heard to be believed. There are cases of users with well-known SOTA brands other than Esoteric moving to it, saying they are glad they did...and that's before any break-in of any substantial number of hours has been done.

Not agree. You can get better and more accurate sound for less especially going NOS and R-2R. The Esoteric K-01 is clinical and too 'hifi' for my liking. I have a few friends who have left the brand for that reason, and made a big loss selling.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Not agree. You can get better and more accurate sound for less especially going NOS and R-2R. The Esoteric K-01 is clinical and too 'hifi' for my liking. I have a few friends who have left the brand for that reason, and made a big loss selling.

Astrostar,

That is the great thing about this hobby and all the different choices out there is that everyone's preferences can be accommodated with one of the great product lines out there. The K-01X has a brand new more smooth, more R2R-sounding DAC and the Grandioso K1 more so; they are not the only fine choice out there to be certain, there are definitely quite a few. Have a great evening!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Astrostar,

That is the great thing about this hobby and all the different choices out there is that everyone's preferences can be accommodated with one of the great product lines out there. The K-01X has a brand new more smooth, more R2R-sounding DAC and the Grandioso K1 more so; they are not the only fine choice out there to be certain, there are definitely quite a few. Have a great evening!

Thank you. You have endorsed my listening conclusions. TBH I would also add, if you want 'more R-2R sounding, why not buy just that, a good R-2R DAC? And for much less than the Esoteric.

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
You should seriously consider the T+A PDP 3000 HV also. I have had mine for three weeks now and having chosen it over six others (separates included), I can unequivocally exalt its dynamics, timbral neutrality\linearity, spectral balance, spatial resolution and transparency, and an unforced presentation\articulation.

Cheers, Kostas.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you. You have endorsed my listening conclusions. TBH I would also add, if you want 'more R-2R sounding, why not buy just that, a good R-2R DAC? And for much less than the Esoteric.

Astrostar,

I prefer the build quality, appearance, sound quality/profile of my Esoteric P-02/D-02 and in the future, perhaps the 4-box stack or single-box K1. Have a great evening, thanks for the feedback!

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
I wasn't aware of the new K1. Definitely add it to the list :)

To reiterate I am not looking for a DAC. I have a nice one already :)

Looking for a all in one, Cheers guys

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
You should seriously consider the T+A PDP 3000 HV also. I have had mine for three weeks now and having chosen it over six others (separates included), I can unequivocally exalt its dynamics, timbral neutrality\linearity, spectral balance, spatial resolution and transparency, and an unforced presentation\articulation.

Cheers, Kostas.

I am looking to hear T+A next week. Glad you are finding it so rewarding :D
What gear are you partnering with it if I may?

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Hello Bobbi,

The Martin Logan CLXs constitute the epicentre of my system. The PDP 3000 HV is connected to a Leben dedicated Linestage via Zen Wave D4 interconnects, and then to a Pass Labs XA30.8 amplifier via High Fidelity interconnects.

Cheers, Kostas.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Hi SC,

I also auditioned the K01 and more recently, the Puccini with clock. Returned both for the same reasons.

What I personally find frustrating is finding the "magic" combination of IC's, PC's, components, etc. that allows the K01 or any other CDP's to "sing".

For that kind of money, it should sound at least "good", if not near optimal, with other respectable hi end audio hardware.

The "need" to build a system around the source component to maximize sound quality is somewhat obscene from my personal perspective.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing