James Cameron's 'Avatar' Sequels Get Release Dates

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
'Avatar' Sequels Get Official Release Dates, Beginning in December 2020

Wow, that is a long time from now; some of us won't be here anymore.
And the original 'Avatar' was first released on Dec 18, 2009 (United States) ? Gross revenue: $2.8 billion USD
That's eleven years total between the original and its sequel. That's a good thing that James Cameron is still alive.
______

"The first 'Avatar' sequel will be released in 2020.
James Cameron's hotly anticipated follow-ups to the 2009 fantasy film have been repeatedly delayed but the director has taken to Facebook to announce that "concurrent production on four sequels" has begun and the first movie will be released in 2020, followed by the other three in 20121, 2024 and 2025."

"Obviously, 3D isn't as big of a deal as it was in 2009 and what was now original/unique is now another would-be franchise."
______

So, meanwhile what can we do and watch that is worth it? :b

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
While I am looking forward to this, that is entirely to long. Especially since it is mostly animation. I guess he thinks ticket prices will be much higher by then.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Lol ...It is long. As for ticket prices, I'm sure James has no such thought in his brain. :b

Methinks that by the end of 2020 we might see the rise of free ••• http://movieweb.com/avatar-sequels-glasses-free-3d-james-cameron/

Perhaps that's why Cameron is delaying the sequels ... http://screenrant.com/avatar-2-james-cameron-3d-hfr/

The guy is in no rush, he is a rich innovator/artist/cinema creator/hi-tek with time on his side. ...The sign of true art makers.
Some of us won't be here anymore, but that's ok because millions more are going to replace us.
This is only a guess, only a perspective, only an existing reality.

Anyway the new news came today, and we never know how many more times they can change again till then ...

http://flavorwire.com/604128/james-cameron-has-announced-release-dates-for-his-avatar-sequels
•• http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...els-release-dates-james-cameron-a7696981.html
••• https://www.facebook.com/AvatarMovi...91638611593/10154322293631594/?type=3&theater

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
WOW, its taken this long to steal the script of Pocahontas 2 :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The next one better be better than the last. It can't be any worse, right?

From the eight Star Wars films (franchise) so far the first one - Star Wars (A New Hope) - May 1977, was the real "propulsion" one.
The last two Star Wars; (1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Dec. 2015, and (2) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Dec. 2016 were both in 3D.

Avatar (2009) was the new 3D technology rejuvenated. In 2017 3D has lost his art/sense appeal to give place to 4K that couldn't include it in its Blu-ray standard. But @ the cinema 3D is alive.

James Cameron is a 3D guy, and he's not alone. He doesn't need money, he has already plenty of it and he uses it @ the service of ocean exploration (very important for the planet as our oceans contain the water we can process to make it drinkable for the ten billions of people by the year 2100, and the food @ the bottom), and @ the service of cinema technology, 3D without glasses. Those two things are among James Cameron's passionate pursuits. Water has been one of his fascinations for a long time: The Abyss (1989), and in Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) with the special effects of the T-1000. He is still involved with water, and with 3D, in exploring deeper and experimenting with newer cameras and working with a team of highly skilled computer special effect artists.

Star Wars is HUGE, a huge franchise. Disney is big too, PIXAR, Marvel, Disneyland, ...the full trillion enchilada.
Avatar is also part of Disney's ride. Avatar is the top grossing film of all time, $2.8 billion.

So if you have the innovators/creators/financial Hollywood institutions behind, the sequels have to be bigger, better than ever, more evolved all the way around, and highly profitable as they are @ the precipice of the latest sound and image of technological entertainment/advancement.

But in both cases (Avatar and Star Wars), the originals are the machines that made it all where we are @ today, and beyond to the future of cinema entertainment.
Some Disney executives, team members, ...are very very rich...incredibly rich. The money generated from the best companies is usually reinvested in the development of further improvements beneficial for all; investors, shareholders, workers, ticket buyers, share buyers.

In the cinema industry it reflects on our screens, our immersive moving experience, in sound, the actors/actresses loved by the general public, by all the best efforts and latest and best technologies in filming cameras and in sound recording/mixing reproduction. ...Moving images with moving sounds for best moving emotions in sync.

We have sound in front, @ the sides, behind, above, and vibrating low frequencies under our butts.
We have moving images that are cleaner, deeper, like windows breaking free, and leaving only shattered glass on the floor.
We have more dimensions, going outside the screen, expanding our surroundings.

I truly believe that James Cameron is super highly motivated by the best 3D visual experience for all.
And he also is very passionate on the very best ultra hi-def picture in 4K/8K with the best high dynamic range for the whitest whites and blackest blacks.
And he also pursues the best movements of moving images by being on the latest edge of the best number of frames per second (fps) with his favorite screen aspect ratios.

He is one among other filmmakers from the true creative artistic breed of cinema technological advancements.

In my honest opinion it cannot hurt this industry. We just have to be patient, that's all. I don't really know what's coming up tomorrow...I can only imagine by entering a little the brain mechanism of some of our grand cinema masters.

Avatar is not loved by all the 7.5 billion of people living on our planet today. Titanic (1997) might have more lovers overall.
But the financial aspects speak volume as to what people love globally. And it just happened that Avatar and the two last Star Wars were also presented in 3D in many cinemas across the globe. Even Titanic had a second run after it was presented in 3D.
_____

Extra:

Our eyes and ears are the vision and voice of the future world we decide to live in, today. We have larger, more powerful telescopes to see further and closer to other galaxies, we have bigger, more receptive telescopes to listen to the smallest sounds deeper in space.

We look deeper and listen further for any alien form in space. We look for water (very important for survival) and we listen for any type of communication (language to advance).

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Bob, I didn't mean for you to do all that work!:cool: I loved the first 2 SW films. The rest, not so much. I didn't like Avatar at all and avoid 3 D at all costs.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No sweat Joe, the time I spend here @ researching and sharing is the best cure to the frustrations sometimes flooding other corners of the globe.
I'm @ peace here, that's the main thing. No one is pressuring me, no one is wronging me, no one is assaulting me with disrespect, no one has the incorrect idea/judgement.

I go along for the ride, without any plan. Avatar's sequels we just received the new confirmed release dates now. And we also know that it could change again.
We learn more about James Cameron, about Star Wars, about 3D, about the eyes and ears we built/build on the four corners of our planet...the most gigantic space telescopes.
They are related to films because we use cameras to capture moving images, and to music because we use microphones to record it.

I also like the first two Star Wars. The rest? Only some parts, for the cool action and music (light sabers sound too). :b

Avatar? I enjoyed it, without being in love, more in lust, lost in it's 3D immersion.
I am a 3D fan, no doubt. That's the main reason I started this thread, because I also know that James is big on 3D.
...And few other filmmakers I really like too, some of the very best among my favorites...Lee, Scorsese, Scott, Jackson, del Toro, Cuarón, Burton, Luhrmann, Bay, and Cameron.
And in the times we live in, 3D animation films from Disney (PIXAR), and others like from Dreamworks, ...are the very best way to view them. It is simple mathematics. :b IMAX 3D documentaries; space, sports, nature, arts, ...

Avatar was what first activated me in 3D. I've seen 4K too, but 3D had a bigger impact in my field of view...it's just the way it is, just like Blues music.
Films and music can unite people, as much as it can also separate them. Cars are a signature to our personality. ...Words, physical appearances, clothes, friends, lovers.
Avatar is a love story, and a dilemma from man colonizing merciless. The blue people are like an inferior species of bugs to man; he has to destroy them if they cannot be his slaves, he has to steal their treasures to make sure of his own's annihilation. Avatar represents the uncontrollable pursuit to power, wars.

Anyway we all have our views, and if I would be asked to rate it (for the film only, not technical aspects): 80% ...in that zone.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
New movie screen allows for glasses-free 3-D at a larger scale | Prototype display enables viewers to watch a 3-D movie from any seat in a theater.

I remember posting that short video in the past. Anyway I believe that James Cameron with Avatar's sequels starting in December 2020 is counting on the rising star of the new 3D era, glasses-free. Sure it will start slowly @ the beginning; theaters won't convert just like that. But few of the leaders will, IMO, and things will start from there. This is not thin air from empty space, it's what we cannot escape...the future of the new 3D next generation. Here on the American continent (South, Central and North), 3D is like a giant iceberg travelling slowly the North Atlantic ocean, only exposing its tip, and moving towards the South. ...Nothing very special, except for the people not used to be living on the extreme East Coast.

http://www.boredpanda.com/huge-iceberg-alley-canadian-coast/

______

In China 3D is so popularly huge that some Chinese people are buying tickets that took them a full day to earn. Seriously. And, some wait in very long lines @ the doors of 3D theaters, for a long time.
It's like they want to escape the polluted and restrictive 2D world they live in (the big cities), take off their masks and see the real 3D world onscreen. :b ...Seriously.
http://www.chinahush.com/2010/01/08/avatar-tickets-in-china-most-expensive-in-the-world/
_______

Avatar's sequels are going to be, IMO, revolutionary in the next 3D dimension. They are going to be the open doors to the new frontiers in visual entertainment for the masses, IMO.

- 2012 stats (for inclined people only): http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2012-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-Report.pdf

- An older 2013 article: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/are-3d-movies-over-20130821
_______

* Bonus (only for fun):

_______

Anyway, we have 44 months to play around with expectations etc. till Avatar 2 in 3D @ a theater near us. That is 1,340 days.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing