Feb 26, 2014
London
Amir doesn't go to live as too many coughs and claps

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Let me get us back to what Ron post:

I am 100% with him. Who else is?

Welcome back amirm. I thought you had left to spend more time on the science forum. Do you care to respond to any of the posts that were directed to you?

I agree with Ron also, but perhaps not 100%. That is very absolute. I agree that we should continue to audition components, continue to pursue tweaks, and continue to listen for significant or subtle differences. Perhaps I could be more realistic, circumspect and skeptical about my and your expressed conclusions. We don't always attempt to do the best we can, but many of us do try. Intellectual honest is a bit tougher to judge in others, and in ourselves. I do realize that I fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
At Axpona there was a grand piano in the lobby of the hotel. As we were getting close to it one of the manufacturer reps sat there and started to play a nice Elton John tune. We walked up to the Piano and enjoyed him doing so. Until he sang that is. :D

Here is the thing: if anyone's stereo reproduced that piano sound the way it was, they would cut off their wrists and jump out of the tallest building they could. :) Take Leif and VSA where he says he had a giant soundstage. The live piano had none of that. Heck, it was not even "stereo"! :) It was rather dull sound resembling nothing of the audiophile recordings we cherish where tremendous amount of post processing is applied to make it sound like what we want Piano to sound like, not what it is in real life. Our preferences have shaped the recorded music to something that is its own art form, separate and distinct from life.

So no, you don't learn a thing from listening to live piano a million times and then listening to someone else's performance on a recording from audiophile perspective. We hide behind such false pretences to make our opinion count more should we be situated that way. It has no logical or physical reality to match it as likeable as the theory is. Or else, musicians would clean our clocks good and have the best audio systems. Which they do not.

amir, Are you claiming that the sound of that live piano, even in a controlled blind test, would resemble absolutely nothing of the (piano) recordings we cherish? If so, how can you identify the sound of a piano on a single one of your CDs? Was there really absolutely NO RESEMBLANCE between the live piano and a recorded piano? Do you mean like a gunshot not resembling the sound of a kitten purring? Surely, this is not an accurate statement.

With all due respect, you should get out more and hear a variety of live instruments, including pianos, in a variety of settings. You will learn that various instruments (and different pianos) sound different from each other, and that there is no absolute sound. But most or all pianos do resemble each other and they are identifiable on most recordings. Without ever having heard a real piano, you would have no basis for knowing whether or not your system remotely resembles the sound of a real piano. I bet, even blindfolded, you could identify the sound of a piano on your audio system, if you wanted to. But perhaps you think that all pianos do sound alike, just like all cables sound alike, and those of us who hear differences are deluding ourselves.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
He's not claiming anything Peter just yanking everyone's chain!

david

amir, Are you claiming that the sound of that live piano, even in a controlled blind test, would resemble absolutely nothing of the (piano) recordings we cherish? If so, how can you identify the sound of a piano on a single one of your CDs? Was there really absolutely NO RESEMBLANCE between the live piano and a recorded piano? Do you mean like a gunshot not resembling the sound of a kitten purring? Surely, this is not an accurate statement.

With all due respect, you should get out more and hear a variety of live instruments, including pianos, in a variety of settings. You will learn that various instruments (and different pianos) sound different from each other, and that there is no absolute sound. But most or all pianos do resemble each other and they are identifiable on most recordings. Without ever having heard a real piano, you would have no basis for knowing whether or not your system remotely resembles the sound of a real piano. I bet, even blindfolded, you could identify the sound of a piano on your audio system, if you wanted to. But perhaps you think that all pianos do sound alike, just like all cables sound alike, and those of us who hear differences are deluding ourselves.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The members (crew) could rent one of those if they would, and sail all the seas listening to the waves and stop @ all world's ports for live music adventures.

Wouldn't it be nice... :b

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The members (crew) could rent one of those if they would, and sail all the seas listening to the waves and stop @ all world's ports for live music adventures.

Wouldn't it be nice... :b

Ahoy Mate....I'm ready for paradise....beautiful Clipper

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
Gregadd said:
The problem with most blind tests is that there is no prior attempt to assure there is a trait present in sample A that is missing in sample B.

Why would you need to assure that? The purpose of the test is not to confirm THAT there is a difference, the purpose is to determine IF there is one. Should you really “need” assurance for whatever reason, go and measure or do a sighted test first, the latter for those “audiophiles who walk blindly expecting to discern a difference when in fact there is none”.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Why would you need to assure that? The purpose of the test is not to confirm THAT there is a difference, the purpose is to determine IF there is one. Should you really “need” assurance for whatever reason, go and measure or do a sighted test first, the latter for those “audiophiles who walk blindly expecting to discern a difference when in fact there is none”.

Is that any better than audiophiles who walk blindly expecting to discern no difference when in fact there was one? ;)

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Is that any better than audiophiles who walk blindly expecting to discern no difference when in fact there was one? ;)

You mean people like Klaus who are not even aware of their biases & ABX testing only reinforces their biases - they're so duped by it that they feel compelled to try duping everyone else in their evangelical fervour.

OR deflect when they do hear a difference as Klaus has done!!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Stehno, I think it is really pretty simple and I am sorry that you seem disturbed by my friend's view and think it is dogmatic. My friend was basically telling me that if someone is attempting to describe the quality of audio equipment or pass a quality judgement on a system, and he has never listened to live music, amplified, or unamplified, then my friend does not pay "MUCH" attention to the guy's opinion. I presume it is because he lacks experience with live music. This is not the same as claiming that one who listens to a lot of live music has the ability, knowledge and experience to judge the quality of an audio system or component, but that at least he has some experience with how a real violin, guitar, drum or voice sounds and can therefore refer to his memory of that sound when making a judgement about the sound of a particular component or system. Though it is certainly no guarantee of his ability to judge the quality of a system, he at least has some starting point, or reference, that the guy who has never heard live music does not have.

I just think that someone who has heard the sound of a live piano is more able to judge if the sound of a system resembles the sound of a live piano more than someone who has never heard that live instrument. Do you really think that that is a dogmatic position and harmful to the cause of increasing knowledge about audio reproduction?

FWIW, I am the one who made those comments to Peter and others - if one doesn't have exposure to live music, then I don't pay that MUCH attention to what they are saying, plain and simple. Some of these people still make valid arguments sometimes, others know science well, others know recordings and performances quite well, but at the end of the day, for me the subject of this hobby is live music and how to reproduce it with electronics and recordings. I still enjoy reading various peoples' comments.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I see no mutually exclusive purpose here. It can be used to discover or confirm the existence of a difference.
The point is we ought to be sure the test is capable of revealing a musical difference. For example if we claim device A is less fatigueing we ought to listen long enough for fatigue to set in.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
At Axpona there was a grand piano in the lobby of the hotel. As we were getting close to it one of the manufacturer reps sat there and started to play a nice Elton John tune. We walked up to the Piano and enjoyed him doing so. Until he sang that is. :D

Here is the thing: if anyone's stereo reproduced that piano sound the way it was, they would cut off their wrists and jump out of the tallest building they could. :) Take Leif and VSA where he says he had a giant soundstage. The live piano had none of that. Heck, it was not even "stereo"! :) It was rather dull sound resembling nothing of the audiophile recordings we cherish where tremendous amount of post processing is applied to make it sound like what we want Piano to sound like, not what it is in real life. Our preferences have shaped the recorded music to something that is its own art form, separate and distinct from life.

So no, you don't learn a thing from listening to live piano a million times and then listening to someone else's performance on a recording from audiophile perspective. We hide behind such false pretences to make our opinion count more should we be situated that way. It has no logical or physical reality to match it as likeable as the theory is. Or else, musicians would clean our clocks good and have the best audio systems. Which they do not.

Like it or not live music is and must remain our standard. Otherwise we are just chasing our collective tail. That is the fatal flaw of the scientific/measurement approach. Perfect measures don't produce musical results.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Live music is for me also a vital reference... but sure it is not necessarily an absolute reference for those others who listen to music purely for it's sonic beauty or whatever other attribute floats their boat. We are all actively shaping our sounds for our own needs when putting gear together.

Systems that can be very natural with sensational coherence, tonality, presence and dynamics (my main preferences in attributes) aren't then by default necessarily going to be great at every type of music either. Some music lovers might have other goals than purely just the faithful recreation of any original event whether it is acoustic or amplified and synthesised.

That's why we really just have to be our own judges about what is indeed best. To each our own ultimate listening happy place.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Like it or not live music is and must remain our standard. Otherwise we are just chasing our tail. That is the fatal flaw of the scientific/measurement approach. Perfect measures don't produce musical results.
c

Simply put? Amen.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The last blind test I participated in I was asked to rank my preference of three kinds of vodka. They were sipped pure from freshly poured shot glasses, all room temp. I ranked them consistently every time. Now imagine if unwanted variables are introduced maybe something as seemingly trivial as the shape of the glass or the temperature of the vodka. Would that have skewed results? If they had been mixed into cocktails instead of pure, would I be able to tell any differences at all? This is what real controls are. They need to be rigid. If you can't or won't do it that way, don't bother. A test you can't trust is just as bad as ears you can't trust.

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
Gregadd said:
Originally Posted by KlausR.
"Why would you need to assure that? The purpose of the test is not to confirm THAT there is a difference, the purpose is to determine IF there is one."

The point is we ought to be sure the test is capable of revealing a musical difference.

Some questions: 1. Why would the fact that a listening test is done blind conceal real differences? 2. How do you know that differences are real and not imaginary? 3. What test is appropriate to determine real differences?

If you say that any difference heard by a panel of audiophile listeners in sighted tests is real without any doubt and the panel fails to reliably hear this difference in a blind test, would you blame the blind test as such?

For example if we claim device A is less fatigueing we ought to listen long enough for fatigue to set in.

If you think that the test procedure should be adapted to match particular needs then just do it. When amateur audiophiles are constituting the test panel there should be no budget constraints.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some questions: 1. Why would the fact that a listening test is done blind conceal real differences?(...)

Again, it is not the absence of knowledge that conceals the differences, it is the practical conditions in which you realize the test.

Also again, if people cared for positive tests they would know about it since long. But objectivists usually prefer to ignore this subject. Did you ever subjected yourself to a proper positive test?

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
microstrip said:
Again, it is not the absence of knowledge that conceals the differences, it is the practical conditions in which you realize the test.

What conditions exactly?

Also again, if people cared for positive tests they would know about it since long. But objectivists usually prefer to ignore this subject. Did you ever subjected yourself to a proper positive test?

What is a positive test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing