What system ?

ross93

Apr 19, 2017
I am in the process of refurbishing a bar/restaurant in Derby. I was thinking of installing commercial sound system in my premises which are as follows :
Floor area 15 X 10 meters open plan-3 floors with a ceiling height of 9 meters in the open area and 3 meters in the remaining areas. There are four different zones.
I am looking for a system that delivers clear crisp back ground music but at the same time the ability to elevate the sound level for eventual parties.
I cannot insert ceiling speakers as the decor of the bar does not allow the use of the latter. Being a complete novice and with so many options on the market I feel lost.
I realize is is a little orthodox but could you kindly advise me just on a general base what package would best suit my needs.
Kindest Regards

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I am in the process of refurbishing a bar/restaurant in Derby. I was thinking of installing commercial sound system in my premises which are as follows :
Floor area 15 X 10 meters open plan-3 floors with a ceiling height of 9 meters in the open area and 3 meters in the remaining areas. There are four different zones.
I am looking for a system that delivers clear crisp back ground music but at the same time the ability to elevate the sound level for eventual parties.
I cannot insert ceiling speakers as the decor of the bar does not allow the use of the latter. Being a complete novice and with so many options on the market I feel lost.
I realize is is a little orthodox but could you kindly advise me just on a general base what package would best suit my needs.
Kindest Regards

Naim Mu-So Qb will be good for your needs.

https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-qb

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Naim Mu-So Qb will be good for your needs.

https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-qb

The Naim Mu-So Qb will not go loud enough to fill that room, probably not for background music and certainly not for parties. High-end audio products tend not to be ideal for commercial spaces, as the substandard sound (in high-end audio respects) of the $500,000+ "best in the world" system at Spiritland in London demonstrates. I would advise the OP to get opinions from a forum focused on pro sound.

While I'm no expert on pro sound, I would note that I recently dined at the restaurant Yauatcha in Soho, and its audio system is the best I've heard in a restaurant. That system includes Compact series loudspeakers manufactured by Funktion One. I could not see which amplifiers were used with those speakers. Likely not coincidentally, Funktion One also manufactures the speakers used in the best system I've heard in a club environment, at Berghain in Berlin.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
What's the budget?

I'd have Duke Lejeune make speakers for any place I cared about. He understands acoustics enough to do it. I'm sure he could come up with something that'd be pretty darn nice, and can configure boxes well enough to suite needs.

The other most key factor IMO is some power conditioning for the equipment so that it's more pleasant to hear. I've actually looked into providing that for restaurants etc to some degree. But I haven't done a trial run yet.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
The Naim Mu-So Qb will not go loud enough to fill that room, probably not for background music and certainly not for parties.

I do not agree with you. You may use more than one Mu-So:
You can also combine multiple Mu-so Qb for the ultimate multiroom experience. Simply sync the units to play the same song beat-for-beat in up to five rooms.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
I do not agree with you. You may use more than one Mu-So:
You can also combine multiple Mu-so Qb for the ultimate multiroom experience. Simply sync the units to play the same song beat-for-beat in up to five rooms.

A shiny and relatively fragile £649 glorified boombox, of which you would need several to provide background music in a restaurant and which, in any event, would be incapable in any quantity of playing music at party levels in a restaurant, is not an appropriate choice. Robust pro audio gear is required, even as it may lack audiophile cred on WBF.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Given that it is multizone, the ceiling variances are extreme and that the system will be called on to do various things, my recommendation is to get a professional commercial installer.

If you want something that is not permanent and sort of discreet, then you should be looking at pro line sources. They are made by many companies now like Bose, H&K, Turbosound and Renkus-Heinz. The line source format helps keep levels more even with just the one pair. The profiles are slim and they are capable of going loud and can even be used with live musicians.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing