Thread: Expert Pro Upgrade - Is it worth it?

Expert Pro Upgrade - Is it worth it?

I received the following email yesterday from Devialet about the end of the possibility of upgrading an Expert unit to an Expert Pro unit:

The Expert Pro upgrade is is a major hardware and software Upgrade pushing the boundaries of audiophile pleasure, improving performance at all power levels.
    • New motherboard with all Devialet key-technology components.
    • New Class-A amp.
    • New Magic WireŽ (Digital-Analog conversion).
    • New power supply.
    • New Class-D amp.
    • New architecture, Devialet OS ready.
    • New firmware.
    • New Devialet OS board, which will be offered to you for free as soon as it is this year.

On 15th May 2017, the Expert Pro Upgrade will come to an end.

I bought a Devialet 120 approximately a month before the upgrade program was announced, and I'm a little annoyed to be asked for another ~$4,000 to upgrade the unit. An odd element of the upgrade is that, though the upgrade program ends May 15, the new digital board is not ready and will be provided later.

Do any members have a view about the improvement in moving from Expert to Expert Pro? I am, admittedly, skeptical, given my bad experiences with the AIR driver and the fact that the upgrade will include the new digital board at an undetermined time in the future.

your upgrade of the 120 becomes the 220 pro .. 100w extra per side as well as all the other goodies like a better phono stage and preamp output..I would do it
    Im going to ug my d premiers to 2 x 250pros which gives me a 1000 pro system .. Im not worried by the "scare" tactics re 15th may..Im sure the ug program will extend beyond that
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    your upgrade of the 120 becomes the 220 pro .. 100w extra per side as well as all the other goodies like a better phono stage and preamp output..I would do it
    Im going to ug my d premiers to 2 x 250pros which gives me a 1000 pro system .. Im not worried by the "scare" tactics re 15th may..Im sure the ug program will extend beyond that
    Many thanks for your perspective, Rodney. Do you have any definitive information about extension of the upgrade program?

I dont have anything in writing .. but my 4-5 year old d premiers are STILL upgradeable to 250pros .. I skipped an upgrade to D250's and it costs me the same as doing a d250 to 250pro ... So I think the 15 may thing is not written in stone
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

I have owned D-Premiers for a few years. I never bothered to upgrade, since I was happy with their performance.
    The question is, what you are missing at this moment, and will the upgrade bring you that.
    In stead of upgrading, I saved my money and invested in an Absolare amp. This after many happy years with the Premiers.

So how you liking the Absolare amp? Did you get the integrated?

What do I get?
    SAM, USB, Ethernet , possibly a functional streamer board , an extra kilowatt, my faulty remote repaired , a new 5 year warrantee , the latest DSP boards , copper bottom , better thermal management etc.. no idea of improved SQ or whether its all worth Eu7000?
    I just upgraded my speakers.. so might as well go all in and do the amps...maybe....

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    What do I get?
    SAM, USB, Ethernet , possibly a functional streamer board , an extra kilowatt, my faulty remote repaired , a new 5 year warrantee , the latest DSP boards , copper bottom , better thermal management etc.. no idea of improved SQ or whether its all worth Eu7000?
    I just upgraded my speakers.. so might as well go all in and do the amps...maybe....
    Forget about the gimmicks - you will get a much better sounding amplifier. IMHO the difference in SQ is not small.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, an Audio Research Anniversary preamplifier, TA OPUS MM2, Shunyata Denali/Sigma and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack ...

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    So how you liking the Absolare amp? Did you get the integrated?
    I got the integrated Signature. I am very happy with it. It is realy making music.
    As far as finance is concerned. A Devialet 1000 Pro cost more than an Absolare integrated Passion.
    Last edited by HHdutch; 05-07-2017 at 02:06 PM.

What do I get?
    possibly a functional streamer board . . . no idea of improved SQ or whether its all worth Eu7000?
    With Devialet, one can never be certain about functionality.