Expert Pro Upgrade - Is it worth it?

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
I received the following email yesterday from Devialet about the end of the possibility of upgrading an Expert unit to an Expert Pro unit:

The Expert Pro upgrade is is a major hardware and software Upgrade pushing the boundaries of audiophile pleasure, improving performance at all power levels.
  • New motherboard with all Devialet key-technology components.
  • New Class-A amp.
  • New Magic Wire® (Digital-Analog conversion).
  • New power supply.
  • New Class-D amp.
  • New architecture, Devialet OS ready.
  • New firmware.
  • New Devialet OS board, which will be offered to you for free as soon as it is this year.

On 15th May 2017, the Expert Pro Upgrade will come to an end.

I bought a Devialet 120 approximately a month before the upgrade program was announced, and I'm a little annoyed to be asked for another ~$4,000 to upgrade the unit. An odd element of the upgrade is that, though the upgrade program ends May 15, the new digital board is not ready and will be provided later.

Do any members have a view about the improvement in moving from Expert to Expert Pro? I am, admittedly, skeptical, given my bad experiences with the AIR driver and the fact that the upgrade will include the new digital board at an undetermined time in the future.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
your upgrade of the 120 becomes the 220 pro .. 100w extra per side as well as all the other goodies like a better phono stage and preamp output..I would do it
Im going to ug my d premiers to 2 x 250pros which gives me a 1000 pro system .. Im not worried by the "scare" tactics re 15th may..Im sure the ug program will extend beyond that

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
your upgrade of the 120 becomes the 220 pro .. 100w extra per side as well as all the other goodies like a better phono stage and preamp output..I would do it
Im going to ug my d premiers to 2 x 250pros which gives me a 1000 pro system .. Im not worried by the "scare" tactics re 15th may..Im sure the ug program will extend beyond that

Many thanks for your perspective, Rodney. Do you have any definitive information about extension of the upgrade program?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I dont have anything in writing .. but my 4-5 year old d premiers are STILL upgradeable to 250pros .. I skipped an upgrade to D250's and it costs me the same as doing a d250 to 250pro ... So I think the 15 may thing is not written in stone

HHdutch

Mar 12, 2017
I have owned D-Premiers for a few years. I never bothered to upgrade, since I was happy with their performance.
The question is, what you are missing at this moment, and will the upgrade bring you that.
In stead of upgrading, I saved my money and invested in an Absolare amp. This after many happy years with the Premiers.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
What do I get?
SAM, USB, Ethernet , possibly a functional streamer board , an extra kilowatt, my faulty remote repaired , a new 5 year warrantee , the latest DSP boards , copper bottom , better thermal management etc.. no idea of improved SQ or whether its all worth Eu7000?
I just upgraded my speakers.. so might as well go all in and do the amps...maybe....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What do I get?
SAM, USB, Ethernet , possibly a functional streamer board , an extra kilowatt, my faulty remote repaired , a new 5 year warrantee , the latest DSP boards , copper bottom , better thermal management etc.. no idea of improved SQ or whether its all worth Eu7000?
I just upgraded my speakers.. so might as well go all in and do the amps...maybe....

Forget about the gimmicks - you will get a much better sounding amplifier. IMHO the difference in SQ is not small.

HHdutch

Mar 12, 2017
So how you liking the Absolare amp? Did you get the integrated?

I got the integrated Signature. I am very happy with it. It is realy making music.
As far as finance is concerned. A Devialet 1000 Pro cost more than an Absolare integrated Passion.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing