Thread: CJ: New 40th Anniversary ART Amps

Addicted to Best!

CJ: New 40th Anniversary ART Amps

Anyone know more about the new 40th Anniversary CJ ART amps?

Name:  conrad_johnson_art_amp.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  19.8 KB

From The Audio Beat: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/con...150_art300.htm

Fortieth-Anniversary Amplifiers from Conrad-Johnson

by The Audio Beat | April 13, 2017

Conrad-Johnson has marked its 40th anniversary with two new amplifiers, both of which use KT150 output tubes, the first time these tubes have been used by the company.

A single pair of KT150s produces 150 watts per channel from the ART150 stereo amplifier ($18,500), while two pairs of the tubes produce 300 watts from each ART300 monoblock ($36,000/pair). In addition to utilizing the KT150 output tubes, the ART150 and ART300 have new input and inverter stages that use 6922s for voltage gain. The amps' main power-supply reservoirs have a more than tenfold increase in total capacitance compared to Conrad-Johnson's earlier ART and ARTSA amplifiers. The 40th-anniversary amps also feature a new regulator circuit for the input-stage power supply.

New styling puts the output tubes behind a clear window spanning the full width of a protective tube cage, while the input tubes are encased in a clear protective block.

As with earlier Conrad-Johnson anniversary electronics, production will be limited: 250 of the ART150 and 125 pairs of the ART300.

© The Audio Beat • Nothing on this site may
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Anyone know more about the new 40th Anniversary CJ ART amps?
    (...)
    It is a turn face in their current ART. They are taking a lot of power from a quartet of KT150's - the ARC REF150 for example uses a quartet of KT150s to get 150W. Also they are returning to the 6922 tube - in the GAT2 they were using PCC88's to replace the 6922's. The ten fold increase in power capacitance suggest they are also changing the type of power capacitors.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT + cj LP275m's, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    It is a turn face in their current ART. They are taking a lot of power from a quartet of KT150's - the ARC REF150 for example uses a quartet of KT150s to get 150W. Also they are returning to the 6922 tube - in the GAT2 they were using PCC88's to replace the 6922's. The ten fold increase in power capacitance suggest they are also changing the type of power capacitors.
    Ayon Orthos uses 10 kt 150 per mono to get 300w triode, 400 pentode
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quite weird for the conservative conrad johnson to be leading edge in using a lot less KT150's than others to produce 150/300 watts of power.

Proof will be in the sound. But no doubt Lew and Conrad have tested reliability of less power tubes to produce more power and also the sound quality vs the magnificent ART 6550/KT120 amps. Paradigm shift indeed for cj.

can't wait for the first review's.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    The 10 fold capacitance increase should provide more headroom and dynamics. Correct?

Addicted to Best!
    Yes no doubt, heading towards a major change for CJ with this one particular tube, and looks like CJ certainly took their time.

I have auditioned an Ayon integrated with KT150's, it was an "overblown" sound driving a pair of Dynaudio's. We then switched over to stats- ML Ethos, Summit-X and the Montis, just to see if stats would reproduce the sound any better. If anything, it was actually worse!
    Ventured back to a Pass Labs combination and preferred that by a huge margin. This was during a demo at the ML dealer's just as I was closing the purchase on the Ethos, last year.

I had a similar experience with some of ARC's new gear, as well as a REF75se fitted with KT150's. Again that sort of fat and over the top artificial hifi sound. It was no doubt very dynamic, thunderous impact, all the transient response required with plenty of slam but it just didn't have that musicality factor. Compared to the KT120, with almost similar specs, I actually prefer the KT120. However, in terms of pure musical bliss and that magical midrange, my overall preference is the EL34.

I am eagerly waiting to audition CJ's new Classic amps- version 2; delivering 120w in EL34 or KT120 config but nothing has arrived in Melbourne as yet. I was told they are waiting to sell off the old stock first, as this makes perfect sense. Apart from that, forget the price! This is for the "top dollar earner" no doubt!
    The starting tags on the Classic 60 and 120 version two's start at 10 grand and go upto 15 grand depending on which tubes you want. The tags on these anniversary amps will be around 45 - 50 grand, let alone the ART amps which are now offered at 38 grand.

So, yes I will be the one very keen chappy to audition this, since I have a long term relationship with CJ. Having said that, we just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary last Sat, and since that is also a somewhat "longish" relationship, if I want it to continue "happily ever after," I don't think I will be heading towards CJ's new line up! I'd probably get me butt kicked to a galaxy far far away...

Having said that, the boss did allow a small peek towards the Classic 120 (in EL34 version) just for curiosity, and to keep me looking eager... after all 16 years of marriage, sometimes the enthusiasm drops a tad...

As for now, she reckons the CAV45 is more than adequate! Oh well, I guess she's right. It's 11:15pm, I've got the next 2 days off, so now I'm heading towards that musical bliss, might as well just sit down and enjoy the music!

For those lucky chaps and fellow audiophiles who get a chance to audition these beauties, please do let us know. Looks pretty cool especially with the clear cage, nice touch.
    Cheers, RJ

Member Sponsor Senior Member Marcus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    can't wait for the first review's.
    I think Myles Astor will be the first to review ART300. You can already read his first impressions on AN.

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...s-in-the-house
    Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT S2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Interconnects: Cardas Clear Beyond & Clear Rev1; Speaker cables: Cardas Clear Beyond; Power cords: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty;Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik (SMT);

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    I think Myles Astor will be the first to review ART300. You can already read his first impressions on AN.

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...s-in-the-house
    Fantastic! Thanks for posting...very, very promising!
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove