The Lost City of Z

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Just wondering if anyone's seen this yet...?

I haven't managed to catch it at the cinema yet, but I really love James Gray, and think We Own the Night and The Yards were minor American classics. In fact, he and Todd Field would be two of my all-time favourite contemporary American directors, despite the relative under-appreciation their films receive in box-office receipts.

Also shot by Darius Khondji whom I have similar affection for.

853guy

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The book is going to be very heard to match much less beat. Well, that's usually the case anyway. Since the book is a short one, I say go for the book instead :)

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
The book is going to be very heard to match much less beat. Well, that's usually the case anyway. Since the book is a short one, I say go for the book instead :)

Hi Jack,

I tend not to compare across art forms - a book is a book and a film is a film, even when the film in question is based on a book - so I generally approach them independently and appreciate them for what they are, rather than what they're not. In fact I often find films that are adapted too-literally from a book tend to be hobbled creatively and lack some of the qualities that make cinema "cinema".

But to each his own.

Be well!

853guy

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That would be a film I want to see...the beautiful Amazon jungle.

In searching some I stumbled on a Wall Street Journal review by Joe Morgenstern. But I couldn't access the review without subscribing...bummer!
? https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lo...on-is-unexplored-territory-1492118370?tesla=y
His review is one of the most negative ones because according to this critic the film doesn't show the passion and obsession that the book does.

Here's another short review where they don't ask you to subscribe (pay) for reading:
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-lost-city-of-z-review/

Advanced civilizations from the jungles of the past are not hard to find in comparison to the world we live in today. IMO :b
But yes, I want to see the cinematography plus I love 'The Yards' and 'We Own the Night' and 'The Immigrant'.
I didn't see 'Two Lovers', and I've seen 'Little Odessa' long ago with fading memory.

James Gray, the director, is about "atmosphere" and raw reality, and I agree that the two films you mentioned are underrated.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jack,

I tend not to compare across art forms - a book is a book and a film is a film, even when the film in question is based on a book - so I generally approach them independently and appreciate them for what they are, rather than what they're not. In fact I often find films that are adapted too-literally from a book tend to be hobbled creatively and lack some of the qualities that make cinema "cinema".

But to each his own.

Be well!

853guy

It's really a very compelling story. For me it was the backdrop being how little we'd known about the world at that time. Absolutely fascinating. I hope this comes through in the movie. Context is everything in period pieces :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Saw the movie this weekend and am a big fan of the book.

Overall, I thought the reviews were really off on this one - Morganstern had it right. None of the fascination of the book and the lead is weak. The WW1 scene really drags out the movie and I didn't even find the choreography terribly good (it was a muted, out of focus palette at times in the jungle).

It's not a terrible movie, but a better rental. Z is a 'B'

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing