Taking a sagacious walk into the Wilson family From many years of ESL life

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think the new Alexx is a killer speaker...and would agree with MF's review. I think it is a step-up over his current Alex XLF's and at a much lower price point...nice. However, here we are not talking of $109K speakers...or even $50K speakers. instead, the OP has asked about the older model Sophia and Sasha. These can be sourced, as Keith stated for +- $5K!!

The OP seems to have made up his mind that these two are the only candidates. If he has heard them then great...if not, then an audition in his system would seem to be wise. Older Krell and a Focal titanium tweet are not my idea of fun...but that's just me, LOL.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The thought now is Fremer's latest in Stereophile where he stated the Alex (and Wamm)is the best Wilson speaker made and is superior to his XLF.

I have yet not read the full review, just glimpsed it and the conclusions. Unfortunately I had to disagree a lot with this conclusion several months ago. I waited sometime before getting the XLF as I had great hope in the Alex, at half the price of the XLF. However, after a significant number of listening sessions, several of them alternatively in the same large room, I had no doubts - the XLF has a scale, easiness and grandeur that do not exist in the Alex. Even with chamber music I always preferred the bigger speaker, particularly as I like to listen typically at 12 - 13 feet from the speakers.

Surely no speaker will sound as the real, but for my taste the XLF brings me much closer to what I experience in a performance, with people playing on a stage.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
I think the new Alexx is a killer speaker...and would agree with MF's review. I think it is a step-up over his current Alex XLF's and at a much lower price point...nice. However, here we are not talking of $109K speakers...or even $50K speakers. instead, the OP has asked about the older model Sophia and Sasha. These can be sourced, as Keith stated for +- $5K!!

The OP seems to have made up his mind that these two are the only candidates. If he has heard them then great...if not, then an audition in his system would seem to be wise. Older Krell and a Focal titanium tweet are not my idea of fun...but that's just me, LOL.

Really.. I have had 4 Krell amps in variance to the FPB series to Evo and was in agreance with you ! This one I went out on a blind limb (as it was local and fair) and got this older KSA 100s and its as stated by many the warmest series and has great bass.. Many say the KSA 50 was as close to a tube amp as it gets..
By the way Im listening to Foacal tweeters now as we speak. Electra 905 with that said harsh krell and its not that bad.. Maybe I need a new set of ears !:rolleyes:

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Chris .........see what Tim and I started (over @ the M/L forum), LOL !

as stated over there my departure from stats and going with Revel was after 35 years with dipoles but I am more than pleased with the change....but, as I said before after listening to the new Logan 13a's I could easily go back !

Dave

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Really.. I have had 4 Krell amps in variance to the FPB series to Evo and was in agreance with you ! This one I went out on a blind limb (as it was local and fair) and got this older KSA 100s and its as stated by many the warmest series and has great bass.. Many say the KSA 50 was as close to a tube amp as it gets..
By the way Im listening to Foacal tweeters now as we speak. Electra 905 with that said harsh krell and its not that bad.. Maybe I need a new set of ears !:rolleyes:

You don't need a new set of ears. But you may be overlooking some of the most inexpensive, easiest tuning adjustment there are; namely, changing AC outlets and Power cables. And I do not mean expensive changes. What power cable and AC outlet are you currently using for your Krell? Most folks don't appreciate just how much variability there is by changing these very simple pieces in one's system.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
I totally agree on cords.. This was a new room and new system .. It wasn't a brand new system but rather one out of desire to do simplify things. I grew tired of every 3 years donating 3k to Krell to fix my KPS25sc when in reality it was old red book technology.. So I decided to go with a dedicated pre amp and the media server rout and will never go back.. Im working on cabling now trying out a few, I dont have any issues with my amp and its tone but am willing to always try new cords .. GOD KNOWS ILL TRY ..

I went back to my old habits with a set of panels and realized ! They are not for me any more. A close friend has these Wilsons that I have listened to for the last few months and the price is right and they throw a wonderful accurate stage.. Are they older? YES ! BUT NOT OBSOLETE !

So they are not MAXXes or Alexias which I have heard many times and found them a tad bassy and stage height was a tad high for me
but it could have been the room and set up ..I never judge a speaker on only one system !

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I totally agree on cords.. This was a new room and new system .. It wasn't a brand new system but rather one out of desire to do simplify things. I grew tired of every 3 years donating 3k to Krell to fix my KPS25sc when in reality it was old red book technology.. So I decided to go with a dedicated pre amp and the media server rout and will never go back.. Im working on cabling now trying out a few, I dont have any issues with my amp and its tone but am willing to always try new cords .. GOD KNOWS ILL TRY ..

I went back to my old habits with a set of panels and realized ! They are not for me any more. A close friend has these Wilsons that I have listened to for the last few months and the price is right and they throw a wonderful accurate stage.. Are they older? YES ! BUT NOT OBSOLETE !

So they are not MAXXes or Alexias which I have heard many times and found them a tad bassy and stage height was a tad high for me
but it could have been the room and set up ..I never judge a speaker on only one system !

If the stage height was too high for you that weren't set for your height. That is the beauty of Wilson speakers

As for the KPS25sc, I owned that piece and of every component I have ever owned that was the only one I regret selling

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
As for the KPS25sc, I owned that piece and of every component I have ever owned that was the only one I regret selling

Steve I tried to take it to my casket with me.. It was to hard to ship it back and forth and 64 new caps. then Power supplies, laser head...Ad nausem
when it worked . NOTHING played redbook better .. That being said the KRC3 is a better pre amp over all. The Connect Im still breaking in as it was new !

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve I tried to take it to my casket with me.. It was to hard to ship it back and forth and 64 new caps. then Power supplies, laser head...Ad nausem
when it worked . NOTHING played redbook better .. That being said the KRC3 is a better pre amp over all. The Connect Im still breaking in as it was new !

I had a KSA 300 and then 3 750mcx amps
KPS25sc
Ref 64 DAC
MD 20 transport

I loved that system

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Agreed, the older series KSA 50 and 100 are some of the best sounding Krells. I have fond memories of the KSA 50.
However, I think the Focal titanium tweet is not a tweet that I would want in my system. When you listen to silk domes or other great tweets...that don't ring, the old Focal design just doesn't hold up. YMMV.:D

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Agreed, the older series KSA 50 and 100 are some of the best sounding Krells. I have fond memories of the KSA 50.
However, I think the Focal titanium tweet is not a tweet that I would want in my system. When you listen to silk domes or other great tweets...that don't ring, the old Focal design just doesn't hold up. YMMV.:D

Apparently Dave thought different ! System synergy. Cables cords and humor! :cool:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Hmmm- Interesting even with Wilson Tube trapping the Magnet in the Focal Tweeter--it still aggravated in your book :eek:

BruceD

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hmmm- Interesting even with Wilson Tube trapping the Magnet in the Focal Tweeter--it still aggravated in your book :eek:

BruceD

Bruce, interestingly I am not the only one to have heard the issue throughout the years. Many other a'philes that I have spoken to have heard exactly the same thing with this tweeter. As much as many would like to ignore the fact that this particular tweeter has a problem ( or coloration ...distortion, or whatever you would like to call it) the fact remains that Wilson finally gave up on the design.
While it may have been implemented in some designs better than in others, the current Wilsons all use the new silk dome tweeter and are all the better for it, imho.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
While it may have been implemented in some designs better than in others, the current Wilsons all use the new silk dome tweeter and are all the better for it, imho.

All current Wilsons use one of the five different versions of the Convergent Synergy Tweeter.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did the Alexia use the CST or the focal tweeter?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That Kps 25sc is a finicky beast, but the JVC pro drive is the best red book transport made ! I have changed all capacitors, laser head 2 times, 3 out of four dac chips, with the fourth being replaced right now. The burr-brown PCM 1704 in the 24/96 dac board has resently become absolute and a bitch to source, good luck to the people with Trinity dacs ! The older 20 bit dac boards have been impossible to find a long time, my brother uses his Kps 25sc as transport only for this reason. The heat from this machine, like many Krell's , kill electronics early. The preamp section is not the most transparent in the world with exaggerated deep bass, but as CD player only into a good preamp it is excellent. I have 2 extra laser heads, and a Victor xl-z900 for spare drive parts. I'm taking this thing with me to the grave, think of it, I will be buried in it's wood crate!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing