test
test
test
test
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taking a sagacious walk into the Wilson family From many years of ESL life

OK after a long night of listening to the Sophia on average amps and pre amps that are not thought to be soft yet not harsh, I cant attest that the Sophia will reside in my room in a week.. They are so forgiving and throw a wonder full deep wide stage and the tweeters never barked at me at all.. We switched sources and cables and you really can tune this speaker easily.. I am looking forward to joining the Wilson family after long term ESL use.. I got to adjust them in a room that was size like mine and they shined with their purple vengeance with amazing sounds.. They are a deep black purple that is stunning..

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! MadFloyd's Avatar
    I'm really looking forward to hearing the Alexx at Axpona (with dCS and D'Agostino electronics!).

I haven't heard a Wilson since I owned the Alexia a few years ago. Curious as to what progress they've made addressing flaws of earlier models.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods Amplification: CAT JL7s, preamp TBD, CH Precision P1
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / SCPS-1 / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon / dCS Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna cables / Shunyata Denali 6000T, Sigma Zitron PC's / Furutech outlets
    Misc: Steve Blinn Designs rack & amp stands

I heard them at a dealer here with Progression Mono blocks.. Yes they sounded good but I think the room was a tad small and caused the mid bass to over power it. Not to mention I had to tell the sales cat to turn off the twin Thor's .. It was the highest stage I ever heard .. I would have liked the stage a tad lower .

Again its personal set up and rooms ! Ill be there listening to the Magico that I have yet to hear any..

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.P View Post
    DR Joey ! Are we still known as (the kid) .. Old face from the panel days ! Yes I have been really wanting to get a new sound .. I love the detail and control I am hearing..I know the Sophia is not the new kid on the block. I still like what Im hearing and its a good size for my room .. God knows I have suffered with huge towers in my room for
    years..

Axpona is this weekend so I will also get a ear full of candy
    Hahaha.... good to hear from you Chris! Also posted on your thread on MLO.

Good ol days... it's too bad we moved on.

I enjoy Wilsons, perhaps one day I will join the fold.

OK after a long night of listening to the Sophia on average amps and pre amps that are not thought to be soft yet not harsh, I cant attest that the Sophia will reside in my room in a week.. They are so forgiving and throw a wonder full deep wide stage and the tweeters never barked at me at all.. We switched sources and cables and you really can tune this speaker easily.. I am looking forward to joining the Wilson family after long term ESL use.. I got to adjust them in a room that was size like mine and they shined with their purple vengeance with amazing sounds.. They are a deep black purple that is stunning..
    Superb.... make sure to post pics. Email me as well, lets communicate off line. It's been too long.

PM me and I'll send you my email.

Quote Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
    What? I work at Wilson.
    Meta, why does this surprise you? I purchased them from an authorized Wilson dealer for a project that I am no longer going to pursue. They may be rare as a sole pair of XLF tweeters for sale, but surely this isn't earth shattering information as I'm sure others can acquire them from legitimate Wilson service dealers. Even if that weren't the case, my understanding is that they may soon be commercially released by the manufacturer, SB Acoustics. In any event, if you know anyone that wants them at a very low price, please let me know.

[Industry Expert] Senior Member metaphacts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Meta, why does this surprise you? I purchased them from an authorized Wilson dealer for a project that I am no longer going to pursue. They may be rare as a sole pair of XLF tweeters for sale, but surely this isn't earth shattering information as I'm sure others can acquire them from legitimate Wilson service dealers. Even if that weren't the case, my understanding is that they may soon be commercially released by the manufacturer, SB Acoustics. In any event, if you know anyone that wants them at a very low price, please let me know.
    The surprise is that you were able to purchase them. There is no legitimate purchase of the tweeter for "projects." Should be easy to sell though if that's your goal.

A replacement tweeter is a swap out and requires a speaker serial number so that we can match them. Just out of curiosity what color is the cup on the rear of the motor?
    Wilson Audio

Quote Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
    The surprise is that you were able to purchase them. There is no legitimate purchase of the tweeter for "projects." Should be easy to sell though if that's your goal.

A replacement tweeter is a swap out and requires a speaker serial number so that we can match them. Just out of curiosity what color is the cup on the rear of the motor?
    Having had distributors my self its hard to police the friend of a friend who works there and may have ordered something proprietary in false pretenses.. Like you mentioned. You cant stuff a Rolls Merlin in a Chevy Corsica and get the same as a Bentley performance !

I will be picking up my Sophia's next week.. Almandine Black I was told by Trent.. 2005 build ! Im excited to join the Wilson Family !

[Industry Expert] Senior Member metaphacts's Avatar
    Having had distributors my self its hard to police the friend of a friend who works there and may have ordered something proprietary in false pretenses.. Like you mentioned. You cant stuff a Rolls Merlin in a Chevy Corsica and get the same as a Bentley performance !

I will be picking up my Sophia's next week.. Almandine Black I was told by Trent.. 2005 build ! Im excited to join the Wilson Family !
    That is correct. We trust our dealers and distributors to respect agreements. Sometimes it doesn't happen which is disappointing.

Welcome! I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get them dialed in.
    Wilson Audio

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    The Sophia 1 wasn't bright as many other Wilson speakers were at the time. I know several people who chose them over the more expensive W/P 7.
    When I assembled my 5.1 system I used WP/7's in the front and Sophia in the rear channels. I could hear a slight difference, not a huge change as some would like to make it out to be. I sold the WP/7's and now Maxx 3's are in the fronts. The Maxx 3's are perfect in my room. I still own the Sophia's!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast