Taking a sagacious walk into the Wilson family From many years of ESL life

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Bruce, interestingly I am not the only one to have heard the issue throughout the years. Many other a'philes that I have spoken to have heard exactly the same thing with this tweeter. As much as many would like to ignore the fact that this particular tweeter has a problem ( or coloration ...distortion, or whatever you would like to call it) the fact remains that Wilson finally gave up on the design.
While it may have been implemented in some designs better than in others, the current Wilsons all use the new silk dome tweeter and are all the better for it, imho.

Yes I tend to agree Davey--But I secretly still enjoyed my time with my original WATT3 Pup2's--

boy that had some drive!

BruceD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bruce, interestingly I am not the only one to have heard the issue throughout the years. Many other a'philes that I have spoken to have heard exactly the same thing with this tweeter. As much as many would like to ignore the fact that this particular tweeter has a problem ( or coloration ...distortion, or whatever you would like to call it) the fact remains that Wilson finally gave up on the design.
While it may have been implemented in some designs better than in others, the current Wilsons all use the new silk dome tweeter and are all the better for it, imho.

All designs have compromises and audio designers are permanently evolving - just because a designer changes his choices does not prove anything. IMHO we can not separate the tweeter from the whole speaker - a tweeter that is balanced in a speaker can sound like having coloration or problems in others. I owned Wilson V and VII's, and never had such problems, although I knew that some other combinations of equipment and cables could produce it. I listen regularly to Wilson speakers with the old titanium tweeters and they still sound great.

However, I must say I also prefer the balance of the new Wilson speakers with their silk domes, particularly as they give me access to a much wider range of equipment. But IMHO what counts is the implementation and the final results, not the materials.

And yes, IMHO the high-end is the sublime art of balancing coloration, even when it is minimal.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
I have several speakers with HIGHLY regarded Scan Speak Silk tweeters.. Some to soft sounding. I even have a Audax Soft Ti tweeter that is outstanding. It was rarely used in production as it was expensive and Ti seems to have a ghost rumor about them.. It replaced a silk tweeter and blows it away by many ears who have compared .
When done right TI can sound pristine clean.. A bit more presence but real..

That being said, IF Wilson offered a silk replacement upgrade I WOULD try as I don't discount any attempt at better sound !
I used different cables and found great success with them.. There are no absolutes in this hobby just frustrating solutions !

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
That Kps 25sc is a finicky beast, but the JVC pro drive is the best red book transport made ! I have changed all capacitors, laser head 2 times, 3 out of four dac chips, with the fourth being replaced right now. The burr-brown PCM 1704 in the 24/96 dac board has resently become absolute and a bitch to source, good luck to the people with Trinity dacs ! The older 20 bit dac boards have been impossible to find a long time, my brother uses his Kps 25sc as transport only for this reason. The heat from this machine, like many Krell's , kill electronics early. The preamp section is not the most transparent in the world with exaggerated deep bass, but as CD player only into a good preamp it is excellent. I have 2 extra laser heads, and a Victor xl-z900 for spare drive parts. I'm taking this thing with me to the grave, think of it, I will be buried in it's wood crate!

100% agree.. There is way to much going on inside one box.. Its a OVEN in there.. I got to know the old service manager at Krell who now does his own work.. He iterated the same as you said.. But when it worked it was pure sex. That clear lexan lid smoothly lowering and the opaque dimmer.. It was a hard divorce !

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
..That being said, IF Wilson offered a silk replacement upgrade I WOULD try as I don't discount any attempt at better sound !

Even if it were desirable on a Sophia 1, replacing the tweeter would not be a drop in. It would require redesigning the crossover.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

The Sophia 1 wasn't bright as many other Wilson speakers were at the time. I know several people who chose them over the more expensive W/P 7.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
OK after a long night of listening to the Sophia on average amps and pre amps that are not thought to be soft yet not harsh, I cant attest that the Sophia will reside in my room in a week.. They are so forgiving and throw a wonder full deep wide stage and the tweeters never barked at me at all.. We switched sources and cables and you really can tune this speaker easily.. I am looking forward to joining the Wilson family after long term ESL use.. I got to adjust them in a room that was size like mine and they shined with their purple vengeance with amazing sounds.. They are a deep black purple that is stunning..

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm really looking forward to hearing the Alexx at Axpona (with dCS and D'Agostino electronics!).

I haven't heard a Wilson since I owned the Alexia a few years ago. Curious as to what progress they've made addressing flaws of earlier models.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
I heard them at a dealer here with Progression Mono blocks.. Yes they sounded good but I think the room was a tad small and caused the mid bass to over power it. Not to mention I had to tell the sales cat to turn off the twin Thor's .. It was the highest stage I ever heard .. I would have liked the stage a tad lower .

Again its personal set up and rooms ! Ill be there listening to the Magico that I have yet to hear any..

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
DR Joey ! Are we still known as (the kid) .. Old face from the panel days ! Yes I have been really wanting to get a new sound .. I love the detail and control I am hearing..I know the Sophia is not the new kid on the block. I still like what Im hearing and its a good size for my room .. God knows I have suffered with huge towers in my room for
years..

Axpona is this weekend so I will also get a ear full of candy

Hahaha.... good to hear from you Chris! Also posted on your thread on MLO.

Good ol days... it's too bad we moved on.

I enjoy Wilsons, perhaps one day I will join the fold.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
OK after a long night of listening to the Sophia on average amps and pre amps that are not thought to be soft yet not harsh, I cant attest that the Sophia will reside in my room in a week.. They are so forgiving and throw a wonder full deep wide stage and the tweeters never barked at me at all.. We switched sources and cables and you really can tune this speaker easily.. I am looking forward to joining the Wilson family after long term ESL use.. I got to adjust them in a room that was size like mine and they shined with their purple vengeance with amazing sounds.. They are a deep black purple that is stunning..

Superb.... make sure to post pics. Email me as well, lets communicate off line. It's been too long.

PM me and I'll send you my email.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What? I work at Wilson.

Meta, why does this surprise you? I purchased them from an authorized Wilson dealer for a project that I am no longer going to pursue. They may be rare as a sole pair of XLF tweeters for sale, but surely this isn't earth shattering information as I'm sure others can acquire them from legitimate Wilson service dealers. Even if that weren't the case, my understanding is that they may soon be commercially released by the manufacturer, SB Acoustics. In any event, if you know anyone that wants them at a very low price, please let me know.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Meta, why does this surprise you? I purchased them from an authorized Wilson dealer for a project that I am no longer going to pursue. They may be rare as a sole pair of XLF tweeters for sale, but surely this isn't earth shattering information as I'm sure others can acquire them from legitimate Wilson service dealers. Even if that weren't the case, my understanding is that they may soon be commercially released by the manufacturer, SB Acoustics. In any event, if you know anyone that wants them at a very low price, please let me know.

The surprise is that you were able to purchase them. There is no legitimate purchase of the tweeter for "projects." Should be easy to sell though if that's your goal.

A replacement tweeter is a swap out and requires a speaker serial number so that we can match them. Just out of curiosity what color is the cup on the rear of the motor?

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
The surprise is that you were able to purchase them. There is no legitimate purchase of the tweeter for "projects." Should be easy to sell though if that's your goal.

A replacement tweeter is a swap out and requires a speaker serial number so that we can match them. Just out of curiosity what color is the cup on the rear of the motor?

Having had distributors my self its hard to police the friend of a friend who works there and may have ordered something proprietary in false pretenses.. Like you mentioned. You cant stuff a Rolls Merlin in a Chevy Corsica and get the same as a Bentley performance !

I will be picking up my Sophia's next week.. Almandine Black I was told by Trent.. 2005 build ! Im excited to join the Wilson Family !

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Having had distributors my self its hard to police the friend of a friend who works there and may have ordered something proprietary in false pretenses.. Like you mentioned. You cant stuff a Rolls Merlin in a Chevy Corsica and get the same as a Bentley performance !

I will be picking up my Sophia's next week.. Almandine Black I was told by Trent.. 2005 build ! Im excited to join the Wilson Family !

That is correct. We trust our dealers and distributors to respect agreements. Sometimes it doesn't happen which is disappointing.

Welcome! I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get them dialed in.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
The Sophia 1 wasn't bright as many other Wilson speakers were at the time. I know several people who chose them over the more expensive W/P 7.

When I assembled my 5.1 system I used WP/7's in the front and Sophia in the rear channels. I could hear a slight difference, not a huge change as some would like to make it out to be. I sold the WP/7's and now Maxx 3's are in the fronts. The Maxx 3's are perfect in my room. I still own the Sophia's!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing