Taking a sagacious walk into the Wilson family From many years of ESL life

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Ok ,I am replacing a set of ESL with a set of very nice original Sophia's.. Having heard them in a rather larger room I am hoping for good results

Now I have had ESL for many years and liked the airiness and spatial detail.. However I have been yearning for more detail and pin point sound stage.. I had a chance to do a outstanding deal on these and remove my BIG esl in a not so big L shaped room. I have heard the many newer Wilson's and have been wowed at times and tepid at times.. The room is 12 x 20 x 14 x 20 L shape opening to the 14x20 L side about 9 feet on the right.

The 12x20 is on the left serving as the outside walls. This alcove is dedicated two channel side and the other has my big screen and 7.1 side..
I run a Krell KSA100s and KRC3 to a Krell Connect ..

What are some of your thoughts on room size and amp pairing with the Sophia's.. I did do a test run with My HT front Vandersteen 2ce in that place and they did well so I don't think the Sophia's will over power the room ..

Thoughts???

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok ,I am replacing a set of ESL with a set of very nice original Sophia's.. Having heard them in a rather larger room I am hoping for good results

Now I have had ESL for many years and liked the airiness and spatial detail.. However I have been yearning for more detail and pin point sound stage.. I had a chance to do a outstanding deal on these and remove my BIG esl in a not so big L shaped room. I have heard the many newer Wilson's and have been wowed at times and tepid at times.. The room is 12 x 20 x 14 x 20 L shape opening to the 14x20 L side about 9 feet on the right.

The 12x20 is on the left serving as the outside walls. This alcove is dedicated two channel side and the other has my big screen and 7.1 side..

What are some of your thoughts on room size and amp pairing with the Sophia's.. I did do a test run with My HT front Vandersteen 2ce in that place and they did well so I don't think the Sophia's will over power the room ..

Thoughts???

Hi, if you want to try Wilsons, wait for the newer ones to come into the used market. I think Sabrina, Sasha 2, are both much better than the previous Sophias, Sasha 1s, and Alexias. So if were wowed, as you say, by the newer wilsons, and are trying to find an used Sophia to satisfy the appetite created by the newer ones, that might be a mistake (might because it depends on the tastes, finally). The Krell and Sophia is going to sound extremely forward and bright. Have heard the Sophia with a newer Krell.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
The Krell is a older known KSA 100s and the Sophia's are a local deal.. I DO NOT like NON Dan Krell.. I like them in his room . That being said mine is smaller

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Hi, if you want to try Wilsons, wait for the newer ones to come into the used market. I think Sabrina, Sasha 2, are both much better than the previous Sophias, Sasha 1s, and Alexias. So if were wowed, as you say, by the newer wilsons, and are trying to find an used Sophia to satisfy the appetite created by the newer ones, that might be a mistake (might because it depends on the tastes, finally). The Krell and Sophia is going to sound extremely forward and bright. Have heard the Sophia with a newer Krell.

How is the Sabrina and Sasha 2 better than the Alexia? The Alexia has the CST tweeter and the same midrange driver as the sasha 2 while having a better aspherical propogation adjustability system and better woofers in a staggered configuration... that does not compute.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015

Thoughts???

Welcome to dynamic speakers... I moved away from ESL and I have not looked back.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How is the Sabrina and Sasha 2 better than the Alexia? The Alexia has the CST tweeter and the same midrange driver as the sasha 2 while having a better aspherical propogation adjustability system and better woofers in a staggered configuration... that does not compute.

Not sure, but the Alexia always sounded harsher, and not as well integrated. Heard it many times. The Sasha 2 is more musical, integrated, sounds as one.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
DR Joey ! Are we still known as (the kid) .. Old face from the panel days ! Yes I have been really wanting to get a new sound .. I love the detail and control I am hearing..I know the Sophia is not the new kid on the block. I still like what Im hearing and its a good size for my room .. God knows I have suffered with huge towers in my room for
years..

Axpona is this weekend so I will also get a ear full of candy

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi, if you want to try Wilsons, wait for the newer ones to come into the used market. I think Sabrina, Sasha 2, are both much better than the previous Sophias, Sasha 1s, and Alexias. (...)

Are you being serious? I have owned the Alexia's - IMHO they are overall significantly better than the Sa...'s you refer. But they surely need an adequate space and system.

Edit

Just read the "harsher" and "not well integrated" comment. Mine had that problem only for a few hours when they had a blown middle external resistor after some excessive listening of drums, I solved it easily in ten minutes as they came with spares. The Alexia are just the opposite - sweet sounding and excellently integrated.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you being serious? I have owned the Alexia's - IMHO they are overall significantly better than the Sa...'s you refer. But they surely need an adequate space and system.

Edit

Just read the "harsher" and "not well integrated" comment. Mine had that problem only for a few hours when they had a blown middle external resistor after some excessive listening of drums, I solved it easily in ten minutes as they came with spares. The Alexia are just the opposite - sweet sounding and excellently integrated.

Their midrange seems to be in a different plane to the woofer that sounds disconnected below. The Sasha 2 play more coherently as one speaker

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Their midrange seems to be in a different plane to the woofer that sounds disconnected below. The Sasha 2 play more coherently as one speaker

The positionings of the midrange and tweeter in Alexia are considerably more precisely alignable than Sasha 2.

Misalign them in Alexia and you get the results you describe.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The positionings of the midrange and tweeter in Alexia are considerably more precisely alignable than Sasha 2.

Misalign them in Alexia and you get the results you describe.

Possible, they were not well set up then.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
KSA100 isn't enough for the Sophia and bonzo is right bypass Sophia & Sasha v1 for v2!

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
KSA100 isn't enough for the Sophia and bonzo is right bypass Sophia & Sasha v1 for v2!

david

Well, I can imagine there is also the question of price - most people will agree with the choice of more recent designs - I would prefer the Sabrina to any Sophia model.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well, I can imagine there is also the question of price - most people will agree with the choice of more recent designs - I would prefer the Sabrina to any Sophia model.

There are other choices on the market instead of original Sabrina & Sophia for the same money specially if he's going to stay with the KSA100.

david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree about Sabrina over Sophia.

Also agree about newer versions however the Alexia is clearly the better speaker.

The thought now is Fremer's latest in Stereophile where he stated the Alex (and Wamm)is the best Wilson speaker made and is superior to his XLF.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Well I learned a lot about other Wilson's and their tweeter mid ranges ! I get there is much better than the Sophia's .
That being said, I have a great opportunity to own these for a great deal and to my ears they are revealing and seem to be sized right for my room..

I get that NEW tech is better but that don't make old obsolete.. Like Arny said as the old Terminator " Im old, but not obsolete" !

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Can you elaborate?

Aside from sounding dead and undefined bass Sophia & Sabrina are power hungry and difficult loads, the KSA100 IMO lacks enough juice to drive these speakers. In general I would look at other speakers before these two I'll add Sasha to the pass on list too.

david

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

I would personally pass on Sabrina as it doesn't have a real Wilson cabinet which is arguably the biggest reason to buy Wilson in the first place.

but guys, he's talking about Sophia 1. Used they are like 4-5k.

C.A.P. - you're fine with that amp powerwise. I owned 1s and they were pretty efficient unlike current WA speakers. I ran them with 75 watt BAT tube amps that were excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing