Footer Upgrades - How many do you really need to get the most out of the upgrade?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
When I used Nordost Sort Kone's I would find the optimal number to be anywhere from 5-6 to make the most benefit out of the upgrade. With the StillPoints 4-5 depending on the devices (preamp needing the 5).

Curious to know how many you use for your electronics and/or speakers?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
when I used SP's I had 4 under my speakers and 3 under my components

Did you try more than what you ended up with using as a final number of footers?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On my smaller speakers I use CMS RiZE footers. They improve the treble and upper midrange by removing some hardness at peaks and give a bit more definition on bass by giving cleaner extension. All in all the tonal balance is maintained but the sound has more ease compared to spikes. My electronics in my bedroom come with their own vibration footers attached and they work well by themselves. I'm not sure exactly what they are but they look like Milleniums.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
On my smaller speakers I use CMS RiZE footers. They improve the treble and upper midrange by removing some hardness at peaks and give a bit more definition on bass by giving cleaner extension. All in all the tonal balance is maintained but the sound has more ease compared to spikes. My electronics in my bedroom come with their own vibration footers attached and they work well by themselves. I'm not sure exactly what they are but they look like Milleniums.

Is it safe to assume that you are using 4 footers on each speaker?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I used 4 of the Stillpoints under each speaker and they seemed to improve the sound. About six weeks later I removed them and the sound again sounded better. They are gone.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Is it safe to assume that you are using 4 footers on each speaker?

Hi,

Yes I do. They are bolted on where the spikes were. They can be ordered with adapter bolts. In my case M8 size.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I used 4 of the Stillpoints under each speaker and they seemed to improve the sound. About six weeks later I removed them and the sound again sounded better. They are gone.

Interesting. Did you use the Ultra 5's or another type of footer? Was this on carpet or hardwood?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Same experience here I was impressed also with Stillpoints(4 under each speaker) --decided to change to same setup using some Harmonix footers I had kept . The Stillpoints were sold off immediately :(

BruceD

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

I did the same. prefer the stk Wilson spikes.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

+1 on the RIZE Footers

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
When I used Nordost Sort Kone's I would find the optimal number to be anywhere from 5-6 to make the most benefit out of the upgrade. With the StillPoints 4-5 depending on the devices (preamp needing the 5).

Curious to know how many you use for your electronics and/or speakers?

For maximum benefit, never more than 3 units per speaker, component, or rack if at all possible. For the record, I do not adhere to anything remotely related to the vibration isolation methodology. Nevertheless, if you can hear a difference with 4, I'll bet dollars-to-donuts you'll here a bit more of a difference with 3.

Remember that 3 points make a plane and 4 points lead to instability ie rocking motion. You want the component in question to be entirely stable against whatever it's resting on.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Not expecting that so many with null results using footers in their systems especially Stillpoints users. Keep the feedback coming this is very interesting

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Three Ultra 5s on my speakers, four on my amp, four and three Ultra SSs on sources
Awaiting 4 Wave Kinetics A10-U8s to experiment with.
Initially motivated by ML to try with my Entreq boxes - see Entreq Tellus thread - but will probably start with the CD player and turntable

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
Has anyone tried the Gaia footers? I will be moving into a brand new home and hate the thought of poking holes in new carpet. The padded carpet is over concrete. Previously I have found spiking superior to simple disk "isolation" regardless of the speaker design. I have never tried footers of a more complex design.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Three Ultra 5s on my speakers, four on my amp, four and three Ultra SSs on sources
Awaiting 4 Wave Kinetics A10-U8s to experiment with.
Initially motivated by ML to try with my Entreq boxes - see Entreq Tellus thread - but will probably start with the CD player and turntable

Have you tried removing them recently as others have done to see if it make any noticeable difference?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
No or at least not yet.
When the four Wave Kinetics A10-U8s I have on order arrive, hopefully very soon, I'll experiment and see how it goes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing