Paul McGowan Blog Post "Music or Kit" -- With Video

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Paul posted this today on his popular blog. I repeat it here in its entirety with Paul's link to a wonderful video:

Music or kit?

Do Audiophiles live for music or gear? It’s a classic question, one asked at every juncture of our wonderful endeavor.

I think the answer is both but certainly, some lean one direction, while others in the opposite.

Arnie Nudell sent me a link a great BBC archive film on this very subject and it is a hoot. Produced in 1959, you absolutely have to watch this.

http://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/852128571120381954

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Paul posted this today on his popular blog. I repeat it here in its entirety with Paul's link to a wonderful video:

Music or kit?

Do Audiophiles live for music or gear? It’s a classic question, one asked at every juncture of our wonderful endeavor.

I think the answer is both but certainly, some lean one direction, while others in the opposite.

Arnie Nudell sent me a link a great BBC archive film on this very subject and it is a hoot. Produced in 1959, you absolutely have to watch this.

Thanks Ron. A must see for all audiophiles.... INteresting that "audiophilia" was perceived as a "condition"... almost a pathology.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Music or kit?

Loved it, thanks Ron! Like they say, the more things change the more they remain the same.
david

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ha!--Indeed funny Video and so correct of the times-- 1959 I was in London at Art School--the scenes --the "Duffle Coat" as worn by some of the gentleman perusing the windows-- the windows could be

Laskys or Comet in the Tottenham Court Road--the golden Mile of Hifi stores in WC London-the Leak Variscope amps/etc, Tannoy Corner Horns--the scene with the group listening to the Stereo--can relate to that --ha!

Foggy winter days, Desert Island Discs/ the Archers-London was about to go swinging into the pop revolution

great days and memories! :D

Thanks indeed for the link Ron

BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, abs fantastic
Frantz, so you DON'T think audiophilia is a pathology? LOL
What was great about that video, was not so much that we recognise the "pioneers" in audiophilia, but that at least then it wasn't as selfish a habit as it is today
Audio shops and record stores burgeoned and were chock full of people communicating and buying, people getting together to listen to music and gear and, God forbid, actually talking to each other LOL
The age of the listener on his own in a darkened room being angry on forum boards hadn't dawned yet

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thanks Ron. A must see for all audiophiles.... INteresting that "audiophilia" was perceived as a "condition"... almost a pathology.

Who are we kidding?

It is! ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'd rather have this pathology than the one that leads you to following yr team thru thick and thin, all weathers, hours on the road, dodgy hotels and food, for the 10% (if that) where you go home truly happy
No doubt had I followed N London's (previously) most successful football team on Gold Season ticket, all over the UK, all over Europe, I'd have spent more than I have in this crazy hobby, and had just a sliver of the happiness that a deep connection to music they superior audio brings
Roll on the therapy

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Don't forget neurosis....;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paranoia, neurosis, OCD, Spectrum behaviour etc etc
Pick yr poison

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I, like a lot of Brits in their 50s and older, are massive Python fans
They really tapped into the truly class-based eccentricities that were laid bare in the 60s as society liberalised
No doubt footage like this is ripe for ironic **** taking

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I'd rather have this pathology than the one that leads you to following yr team thru thick and thin, all weathers, hours on the road, dodgy hotels and food, for the 10% (if that) where you go home truly happy
No doubt had I followed N London's (previously) most successful football team on Gold Season ticket, all over the UK, all over Europe, I'd have spent more than I have in this crazy hobby, and had just a sliver of the happiness that a deep connection to music they superior audio brings
Roll on the therapy

I guess the success of that "other" team in North London must really be depressing! :cool:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Love that 1959 BBC video. Are we obsessed with our gear? I would have said "no" except the Garrard table shown at the end of that clip now goes for about $40,000 in a fancy Artisan Fidelity base! Hmmm.....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Joe, you read my mind!
Woolwich Arsenal have always been the priciest soccer team to follow, prob in the whole world
My audio spend prob equates to following them scrape into Top Four and flatter to deceive in Europe
Put it this way, I'd rather have spent this sum in 100% enjoyment of music than to torture myself losing big time to Bayern this year

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marty, how can you say we're not obsessed w our gear?
The time we spend choosing it, cash buying it, worry we generate thinking about the next best thing, is the very definition of obsession
My take on the film was that obv such obsession existed 60 years ago as well, but it was a shared obsession w friends, invited over to homes to share in the music, and in visiting record shops in a more rounded social behaviour pattern
Now, we tend to listen on the whole alone and secluded, and in the age of steaming, don't even have to go out and meet other human beings as yet another piece of music is chosen on streaming w'out even leaving the room
I'm actually really sore about the death of shops, including bricks and mortar audio stores, but esp bookstores and record shops, and this film reiterated this point

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Joe, you read my mind!
Woolwich Arsenal have always been the priciest soccer team to follow, prob in the whole world
My audio spend prob equates to following them scrape into Top Four and flatter to deceive in Europe
Put it this way, I'd rather have spent this sum in 100% enjoyment of music than to torture myself losing big time to Bayern this year

I have been to matches at the Emirates. Very expensive. I went up to White Hart Lane two weeks ago to see it one last time. Will really miss that ground although it looks like the new place will be pretty swell, avoiding the issues with the Emirates.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm as conflicted on the weird obsession of this hobby as any others, but the pure joy we get from a deeper enjoyment of music that entails from our spends and attention to detail puts the kind of sadomasochistic torture an Arsenal fan goes thru for the same crazy financial outlay to shame
This video cheered me up no end, but has also left me w a truly bittersweet feeling

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm as conflicted on the weird obsession of this hobby as any others, but the pure joy we get from a deeper enjoyment of music that entails from our spends and attention to detail puts the kind of sadomasochistic torture an Arsenal fan goes thru for the same crazy financial outlay to shame
This video cheered me up no end, but has also left me w a truly bittersweet feeling

The hobby has its own character different from politics, sports, or cars. When two groups generally debate over politics, things can get heated, and they can often end disliking each other. In sports, debates usually lead to bonding. People defend their players and debate on stats and become buddies (except for England football fans). In audio, it's a mix. Some debating ends up like politics. Some like sports.

With cars, when people buy, they usually know what they are buying for. Some buy for status, some for mileage, some because they need to fit in a large family on a regular basis. But in audio, some might buy for status and say they bought for mileage.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty, how can you say we're not obsessed w our gear?
The time we spend choosing it, cash buying it, worry we generate thinking about the next best thing, is the very definition of obsession
My take on the film was that obv such obsession existed 60 years ago as well, but it was a shared obsession w friends, invited over to homes to share in the music, and in visiting record shops in a more rounded social behaviour pattern
Now, we tend to listen on the whole alone and secluded, and in the age of steaming, don't even have to go out and meet other human beings as yet another piece of music is chosen on streaming w'out even leaving the room
I'm actually really sore about the death of shops, including bricks and mortar audio stores, but esp bookstores and record shops, and this film reiterated this point

Yeah, I guess you got me!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing