FS: Black Sabbath - Vol 4, UK first pressing Vertigo label

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Up for sale is a pretty rare (especially in this condition for the vinyl) UK first pressing of Black Sabbath's Vol 4 on the Vertigo label. Plenty has been written about the Sabbath albums on Vertigo at WBF. This is the first pressing with 1y1, 2y1 matrix and Porky/Pecko in the dead wax of both sides.

I'm pretty damn picky when it comes to surface noise and know the frustrations of buying over graded vinyl from the UK. I guarantee this is the last copy you'll ever need as far as sound quality and surface noise goes.

Jacket- VG, there is a seam split towards the top and some general age wear on both sides. Inside with the booklet is clean.

Visually very clean VG++. Play grades pretty much just like the visual grade, that is to say very quiet even in the blank bands between songs and that low level segment of FX which is just a soft panning guitar. There are 2 tics at the end of Laguna Sunrise and 2 tics at the start of side 1 on Wheels of Confusion. The Porky cut in particular is cut pretty hot so on Supernaut and that sublime end section of side 2 I went through copies that were plagued with IGD, this plays superb. Play graded this on Stax SR-009 headphones.

There is a patch of discoloration on the label photographed below.

Asking $420 plus shipping, which is less than the UK dealers are asking and less than what I paid.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If you are a BS fan, then this is a great LP and well worth the entry price. I own this LP in the Vertigo pressing and its a stunner! hvbias, good luck with the sale.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Thanks guys, will be selling their first album UK first pressing as well once I get a chance to carefully play grade it.

Someone sent me a message asking why I'm selling- I'm actually keeping the vinyl setup just in my secondary house system with Quad ESL57s, these aren't suited for hard rock, so it's just classical/jazz LPs for them. I'm going to a DSP xover system for my main horn system.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing