Magico Owners: Do you enjoy Analog, Digital, or Both?

Magico owners, do you enjoy Analog, Digital, or both

• Digital

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Analog - Turntable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Analog - Tape

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Both Analog and Digital

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

caesar

May 30, 2010
Magico owners, do you primarily enjoy digital, analog (turntable?, tape?), or both?

If both, what percent of your time do you listen to each format?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You seem pretty obsessed with Magico lately. As if there's something wrong the "doctor needs to diagnose".

caesar

May 30, 2010
You seem pretty obsessed with Magico lately. As if there's something wrong the "doctor needs to diagnose".

Not sure the reason for the personal comments, but an alternate explanation is that I tend to follow all of the happenings in the industry, as it explains where things may be headed.

Magico and Wilson tend to be the industry leaders, so there is a proportionally higher focus on those brands - than on gear that gets made once or twice a year by the designer for their family member.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I tend to listen to more analog than digital - at least when I have the choice. My Magicos are so clean and free of artifacts that vinyl just sounds glorious - all the detail without any of the glare or hardness.

That said, I enjoy both.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I tend to listen to more analog than digital - at least when I have the choice. My Magicos are so clean and free of artifacts that vinyl just sounds glorious - all the detail without any of the glare or hardness.

That said, I enjoy both.

Vinyl sounds glorious, period. Not sure it matters if you have Apogees, Magicos, Wilson or horns

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Vinyl sounds glorious, period. Not sure it matters if you have Apogees, Magicos, Wilson or horns
+1

Caesar, perhaps a better question to ask would be...do Magico owners prefer music or are they more interested in sound? Of course, one could ask that of all--or most A'philes :D

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I would rather listen to music than fondle it. :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

That said, I enjoy both.

I think you mean something other than artifact since speakers can't add unwanted information while working right, only change existing information. For example if a DAC added a sound to the music that wasn't a change to the signal itself, that would be an artifact. The only way a speaker can do that is if something touches something it wasn't suppose to, like if a driver's spider went bad so the VC was scratching against it. Sorry to "pick on you" Floyd, but the word artifact is getting thrown around too much these days, and basically never correctly. It's important we are able to discuss things together with the same language.

Instead I'd suggest saying you're Magico speakers are able to cleaning reproduce the glory of vinyl without any loss of composure. That's partly due to your nice amplifiers too!

Amen. I can't help but love it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

That said, I enjoy both.

If the Magico's are clean and free from artifacts good digital should sound "glorious" ...

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I think you mean something other than artifact since speakers can't add unwanted information while working right, only change existing information. For example if a DAC added a sound to the music that wasn't a change to the signal itself, that would be an artifact. The only way a speaker can do that is if something touches something it wasn't suppose to, like if a driver's spider went bad so the VC was scratching against it. Sorry to "pick on you" Floyd, but the word artifact is getting thrown around too much these days, and basically never correctly. It's important we are able to discuss things together with the same language.

Instead I'd suggest saying you're Magico speakers are able to cleaning reproduce the glory of vinyl without any loss of composure. That's partly due to your nice amplifiers too!

Amen. I can't help but love it.

Folsom, by artifacts I did mean the addition of sound. For example, if there is ringing or driver breakup that is audible in a speaker system, that is additive.

But I do agree, the word artifact is often misused and I'm sure I'm guilty of that as well.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
If the Magico's are clean and free from artifacts good digital should sound "glorious" ...

Just not AS glorious. :)

This is of course, just my opinion and influenced by current electronics in use.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

However rude that may sound, I think Al is right.

Caesar is starting Magico related threads all the time. IMO it is either an obsession, or, he takes a weird pleasure from starting heated up discussions py posting provocative questions.

His actions can be desribed as nothing else but trolling.

An Internet Troll:

In Internet slang, a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
However rude that may sound, I think Al is right.

Caesar is starting Magico related threads all the time. IMO it is either an obsession, or, he takes a weird pleasure from starting heated up discussions py posting provocative questions.

His actions can be desribed as nothing else but trolling.

An Internet Troll:

In Internet slang, a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.

I often disagree with Caesar - he knows about it - but I can not see any trolling in this thread. He started a thread similar to many he was started with other brands, and users have often participated, agreeing or disagreeing.

IMHO Magico and Wilson users must be prepared to accept being the focus of the attention of many audiophiles and the seed of many threads - it is the price of success! If he starts a similar thread on Wilson speakers and digital I will happily participate.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
He may have started threads about other brands, but nowhere close to Magico. In fact, the # of threads started about all the major speaker brands combined, outweight the # of Magico threads. I did a quick search entering random speaker manufacturers names that came to my mind. Here is what I got:

Wilson – 3
Martin Logan – 2
Raidho – 2
Kharma – 1
Rockport – 0
ATC - 0
Evolution Acoustics – 0
Avalon – 0
Audio Note – 0
Sonus faber - 0
Vandersteen – 0
B&W – 0
Monitor audio – 0
Tidal – 0
Soundlab – 0
Ascendo – 0
Gauder Acoustics – 0
Living Voice – 0
Paradigm – 0
Hansen Audio – 0
Focal – 0
Cabasse – 0
Traiangle – 0
Magnepan – 0
Harbeth – 0
Avantgarde – 0
Acapella - 0
Marten Design - 0

and Magico ... 8 inflammatory threads (!)

If that is not an obsession, than I do not know, what it is. And it is not that Magico owners got offended - I have noticed all that, simply 'cos owners - more often than others - tend to notice things related to the brands they own. It is natural. But Al is not a Magico owner, so clearly Caesar's obsession become obvious to more people than just Magico owners.

The guy is neither an owner, nor someone interested in buying sth, who wants to do some research. All that he wants is to stir the pot and to create a heated discussion - which is a very definition of a forum troll.

Last edited:

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
If that is not an obsession, than I do not know what it is. And it is not Magico owners got offended - I have noticed that as the owners tend to notice things related to the brands they own more often, than others. It is natural. But Al is not a Magico owner so his obsession become obvious to everyone to see.

The guy is neither an owner, nor someone interested in buying sth who wants to discuss stuff. All he want is to stir the pot and create a heated discussion

Caesar has done nothing more than point out that Magico owners just aren't as smart as most others.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Simple: both produce music and that's why I have a system... to listen to music.

For my favorites, I usually have analog and digital versions and enjoy hearing the different presentation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing