will high power trip my fuse?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If I have a class A 300w amp, will it trip my power in a London flat if it doubles down to 2400w * 1 ohm? Of course here the class A drops to below 37.5, I think (300/2, 150/2, 75/2)

Assuming normal from the wall power

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If I have a class A 300w amp, will it trip my power in a London flat if it doubles down to 2400w * 1 ohm? Of course here the class A drops to below 37.5, I think (300/2, 150/2, 75/2)

Assuming normal from the wall power

I doubt it. The only question I would have are they dedicated lines? I have two monoblocks with 25 amp breakers fed with two 20 amp circuits and have never tripped the line breakers. Though my speakers are about 94 db sensitivity.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
If you're using a standard 13A fuse in your plug then you'll be certainly be "close" at a nominal wall voltage of 230V (even though London voltage is often closer to 240) since I=P/V=2400/230=10.4A.

If the amp is actually outputting 2400W into 1 ohm, then the chances are it's sucking a fair bit more than that from the wall as no amps are 100% efficient. So yeah, it probably will blow a fuse in your plug at those levels. Will it trip the fuseboard? Probably not if its a 20A circuit, although I wouldn't be boiling a kettle in your listening room at the same time. FWIW I regularly blew 5A fuses in my power cables with a Krell KSA 80, although that was due to a switch-on surge.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well I could get a 30a set up here, if I could get an electrician to do it fuseless.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
First, how many pure Class A amps do you know?

You can always change your breaker to a higher amperage.

david

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Before you would change the size of breaker,consult a electrician. The size of the wiring dictates the limit of the breaker size. In the U.S. #10 wire can be used for a 30 amp breaker

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Be interested to know which amp you have in mind . 300 w Pure Class A , would be one monster .

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If you're using a standard 13A fuse in your plug then you'll be certainly be "close" at a nominal wall voltage of 230V (even though London voltage is often closer to 240) since I=P/V=2400/230=10.4A.

If the amp is actually outputting 2400W into 1 ohm, then the chances are it's sucking a fair bit more than that from the wall as no amps are 100% efficient. So yeah, it probably will blow a fuse in your plug at those levels. Will it trip the fuseboard? Probably not if its a 20A circuit, although I wouldn't be boiling a kettle in your listening room at the same time. FWIW I regularly blew 5A fuses in my power cables with a Krell KSA 80, although that was due to a switch-on surge.

If his amp is putting out 2400w then it's drawing a lot more than that. I'd say it's thermally limited sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far before it hits that much output for more than a blip of whatever juice the capacitors can hold. Class A output can easily be as bad as 1 to 10. That's 1w for 10w spent. It's basically impossible for mortal sized heatsinks to allow that to happen long enough to trip a breaker. Plus his transformer will have a thermal meltdown.

Whatever the manufacturer says your amp is rated at, use that. Any manufacturer worried about tripping a breaker will add a soft-start to the amp since a dead-turn-on is the only time it draws as much current as possible since the caps are all the way drained and thermal limiting isn't an issue.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Be interested to know which amp you have in mind . 300 w Pure Class A , would be one monster .

Symphonic line Kraft, used. The options in terms of 1 ohm ability and budget are that, Krell old FPB, Gryphon colosseum. All used

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
News to me too, Guillaume. I take back my earlier comments.

However, all this has me wondering how I managed to blow fuses in 3 or 4 power cables over the summer. Maybe just as well I no longer have that old Krell!

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
A Class 'A' amplifier outputting 2400 audio Watts will require some very large fuses and a large air conditioning system.

Why not get a "Kill-a-Watt" (or similar) AC line meter and measure what's really happening?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Symphonic line Kraft, used. The options in terms of 1 ohm ability and budget are that, Krell old FPB, Gryphon colosseum. All used

Of course you know that these amps aren't Pure Class A designs, they operate in Class A only at 8 ohms and it's Class AB at anything less. Given your choice of speakers 4 ohms is already a stretch :)! Also given the chassis size and operating temperatures of two of these amps I'm highly suspicious of their 300 watt Class A claims even at 8 ohms, that's why I asked earlier about the amps.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Of course you know that these amps aren't Pure Class A designs, they operate in Class A only at 8 ohms and it's Class AB at anything less. Given your choice of speakers 4 ohms is already a stretch :)! Also given the chassis size and operating temperatures of two of these amps I'm highly suspicious of their 300 watt Class A claims even at 8 ohms, that's why I asked earlier about the amps.

david

Yes, which is in my first post I said the class A at 1 ohm will be 37.5, as it keeps halving

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing