krell evolution 2250E or MC452 for Wilson sophia 3 ?

Dino1979

May 10, 2015
Hi, i want to buy amp for my Sophia 3.
Which amp have more power for attack to Wilson Sophia ?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
and IMO there are better speakers than Wilsons...

sorry matie, just couldn't resist that line. no harm intended, good point though.

To add a few cents, why not a MC452?
I have had the pleasure of having one with my previous Quads for a short while, few years ago when I was out hunting for the so called "perfect amplifier." To me the MC452 is not just another amplifier, nor is it a Krell. Not even a comparison! I sincerely think the legend himself Mr. Dan D will confirm that reference to Krell and what it is now...

The MC452 is a formidable force in amplification, not only can it drive virtually anything out there but is also one solid state device that I find very musical when partnered with a tube preamp. I was using the Conrad Johnson ACT2, the control and smooth drive in full frequency was effortless top to bottom. Disappointing with the Quads though since they don't really do the full spectrum properly, as I later realised when comparing to other stats and panels, for example Martin Logan's.

The MC452 is also the most powerful amp that Mac currently produces in stereo mode, and is actually more powerful in current capacity compared to the MC601 monoblocks. And it is a wonderful match with stats. No issues whatsoever handling the impedence curve of stats, having said that, should be a great match with the Sophia's! That will be one effortless drive, no doubt.
Read more about the MC452 and its "Quad balanced" topology, it's quite amazing at what Mac has done with this particular power amp. There was one special commemorative power amp that Mac put out to honour Mr. S Conderman, it was a tube power amp delivering around 150w of "velvet finesse" with KT88's, wow! was that a stunner! I only got to hear it just once in Spore driving a pair of Apogee Diva's. I couldn't afford one at the time, and it wasn't for sale, belonged to the dealership owner. Sadly both are no longer in production, released on very limited edition run. I can't understand why they do this, so many superb components are offered on limited runs, and that's it! ARC, CJ, Apogee and a host of others do this, and only if you're so lucky you can get hold of one, if not you miss out, dam!

Krell is pretty good, at least in terms of power delivery, will drive well and deliver all what's required but that's about it. To me there was no "musicality" in Krell or any Krell for that matter. When pops had his old Diva's, driven with Krell (class A mono's) and ARC mono's for the mids and highs, although the sound was quite "live" enough, the single one component which added that factor of musicality was the CJ ART preamp. Without the ART pre, it was just thumping sound, dynamic to the core and superb transient attack, that's about it, really!

The preamp will make a big difference indeed but remember that the best designed preamps should not add or subtract anything from the incoming signal, originating from the source. This signal should be presented as pure as possible or at least to the closest to what's on the recording. A great designed preamp will allow for you to hear the actual music and not the preamp. I believe having no preamp is the best route, however when it comes to switching sources, I guess there really is no choice.

If you are searching for power amps within that range of Mac, Krell and so on, just give Plinius a try, you'll be very surprised! Made in New Zealand with plenty of awards and top ratings for even the most highly regarded critiques, the Plinius will not disappoint and it is one superb combination with a tube pre. The best part is that the tube pre doesn't have to be top of line, as the Plinius is so well designed, it does it's job extremely well, which is "amplification!" I had the pleasure of auditioning one with a CJ ET3SE and a Classic 2 pre. Very simple, entry level with no bells and whistles, just an input selector and level control, adjust and enjoy the ride!

Best of luck maties, trust you will find someone thing good for your Sophia's.
Cheers, RJ

Dino1979

May 10, 2015
hi thank you ! i have bought 2250E Krell Evolution finally.
and yes i would like to add tubes for pre.
i see severall matches krell with AR Preamp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing