Ypisilon /ayre

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Dear friends I recently sold my dart Integrated which I was using as pre with the ayre monos MX R(older version)after selling the dart i got the Ypsilon pst 100 pre and played music thru the AYRE monos though the sound was transparent and natural it was not as musical as the Dart alone can you see any flaw in the setup I had heard great things about the ypsilon.
Is it that the Ayre is not a proper match for the ypsilon did i make a mistake of buying the pst100

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't know about your combination - but I did have a 2 week home audition of Ayre's VX-5 amp and it wasn't as musical, nor 3D as my CTH-8550. YMMV. The "Twenty" seriees may be much better, dont know.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Ayre amps are designed for a true balanced input from the preamp. Not sure if this is part of your issue.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I swapped my Dart NHB pre (model 1) for Ypsilon pst pre and phono stage. I was able to compare them thoroughly, for around a week, at home. The Ypsilons certainly play music in my system so I would be surprised if the pre was a problem. I have not heard any Ayre gear so can't comment on their musical traits, it could be a miss match as dan31 mentioned.

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I swapped my Dart NHB pre (model 1) for Ypsilon pst pre and phono stage. I was able to compare them thoroughly, for around a week, at home. The Ypsilons certainly play music in my system so I would be surprised if the pre was a problem. I have not heard any Ayre gear so can't comment on their musical traits, it could be a miss match as dan31 mentioned.

What is the power amp you are using and the rest of the gear.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing