Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring basics - microphone/computer questions

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Hi Bob,

My only tip would be to be careful with the sweeps, when doing the measurements, as some tweeters will not like that much energy going through them very quickly. Give it a minute or two between sweeps just to be on the safe side... And of course, mind the volume

cheers,
    Alex
    Thanks Alex, good to know. I'm mostly focused on low bass response looking for best spot to place my chair. Are there low frequency sweeps or tone styles to avoid... I would expect you could also damage a woofer?
    óBob Vineyard, aka bobvin

My system: Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), AMG v12 turntable, dCS Rossini DAC, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes (REF 160M's on order), Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Thanks Alex, good to know. I'm mostly focused on low bass response looking for best spot to place my chair. Are there low frequency sweeps or tone styles to avoid... I would expect you could also damage a woofer?
    You shouldn't be using any real power for the sweeps. You should be able to do the sweeps at your listening level or maybe a bit higher. Just use some common sense and you should be fine. One thing to avoid is if your speakers have reflex cabinets don't go to far below the tuning frequency of the cabinet. Bellow the port tuning the output is falling quite quickly. At a couple of watts you won't damage them but you unload the driver and loose any dampening the box provides so the excursion rate can climb quickly. So if they rolloff at 40 hz just keep an eye on the woofer if the sweep runs down to 20hz as an example.

Rob
    I could be arguing in my spare time

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    Hi Bob,

Usually the sweeps are full frequency, to measure response/reverb time in the room, not frequency response. But you can do low frequency sweeps as well! I think generally tweeters heat up faster than woofers, that's why, depending on the volume you're hitting them, and how frequently you do the sweeps, the tweeter might overheat and die...

I agree with Rob's answer below, that you should be careful with the volume. But depending on the size of your room, and how much absorbption and/or background noise you have, you might have to kick it up a notch to get the mic to pick up enough at your listening/measuring position. It's very easy to run that sweep 3-4 times within a few seconds, just to get a baseline, and that might be enough for the tweeter to overheat...
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Air Tight - Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12