Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring basics - microphone/computer questions

Measuring basics - microphone/computer questions

From what I can see Jim Smith first determines the seating position that'll be out of room nodes, then places speakers for maximum musicality. My Wilson setup guy has not done this step in the past, but he is still able to get amazing sound in any room. Since I've done the big remodel, I have several feet fore/aft that I can move the listening position and want to avoid nodal peaks. Obviously half-way between the front and rear wall would not be the correct spot!

In my room I have computer/DAC. The computer is a custom built small profile fanless design with SSHD. There is no room to add a sound card, I am forced to use the onboard Realtek drivers with a microphone. The computer has a ASUS Gryphon Z97 Socket 1150 Intel mobo.

Can I just get a calibrated USB microphone, load software like Room EQ Wizard, play some pink noise or test frequencies, and be good to go for taking basic measurements? (Most of what I've read says I'd need a dedicated soundcard?) There would of course be some assigning of inputs to get things right, yes?
    óBob Vineyard, aka bobvin

My system: Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), AMG v12 turntable, dCS Rossini DAC, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Bump

My system: Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), AMG v12 turntable, dCS Rossini DAC, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    I used a $10 app for my iPhone from the app store

It's called Spectrum Analyzer from ONYX Apps
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    I used a $10 app for my iPhone from the app store

It's called Spectrum Analyzer from ONYX Apps
    Steve, just looked this up. Do you use a special mic for better results? It is hard to tell how accurate it is. Can you tell us a little bit about how you use it and how helpful it is in your system?
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Steve, just looked this up. Do you use a special mic for better results? It is hard to tell how accurate it is. Can you tell us a little bit about how you use it and how helpful it is in your system?
    Hi Peter

I never used any mic other than that on my iPhone. I used it to give me an idea of how my room measured at the listening position as well as when I made any changes in the room. I'm sure others will say it isn't accurate or that there are better and more accurate to which I agree. As I said it gives me an idea of how my room measures when I play some pink noise
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Member Sponsor Senior Member Barry's Avatar
    << Can I just get a calibrated mike....?>>

Yes, use REW and you will need a mic. REW downloads are at Home Theater Shack website. Amir posted some helpful starting tips here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ht=Room+wizard or go to HTS website here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Takes a little learning time but once you get the hang of it, it's well worth it. For speaker set up a laser distance meter is invaluable.

Have fun and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    From what I can see Jim Smith first determines the seating position that'll be out of room nodes, then places speakers for maximum musicality. My Wilson setup guy has not done this step in the past, but he is still able to get amazing sound in any room. Since I've done the big remodel, I have several feet fore/aft that I can move the listening position and want to avoid nodal peaks. Obviously half-way between the front and rear wall would not be the correct spot!

In my room I have computer/DAC. The computer is a custom built small profile fanless design with SSHD. There is no room to add a sound card, I am forced to use the onboard Realtek drivers with a microphone. The computer has a ASUS Gryphon Z97 Socket 1150 Intel mobo.

Can I just get a calibrated USB microphone, load software like Room EQ Wizard, play some pink noise or test frequencies, and be good to go for taking basic measurements? (Most of what I've read says I'd need a dedicated soundcard?) There would of course be some assigning of inputs to get things right, yes?

You should be able to clearly hear the difference in your seat position and if you can't or it's all the same why bother with measurements? Just move the chair and your head back & forth and pick the spot you like best.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post

Can I just get a calibrated USB microphone, load software like Room EQ Wizard, play some pink noise or test frequencies, and be good to go for taking basic measurements?
    Yes, but, REW will work best if it is able to send its own test tones (logarithmic sweep) to the system.

What outputs do you have?

You could use Optical/Coax, USB, or HDMI digitally, or an analog output (which might be noisy, depending on circumstances).

I use an on-motherboard Optical out for the test tones and a UMIK-1 for capture.

I find it quite useful.
    I'll be back later...

System: Equitech 1.5RQ - OpenDRC-DI w/AcourateDRC - DAC2 - Krell KCT and FPB 350mcx - MartinLogan reQuest

Quote Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
    Yes, but, REW will work best if it is able to send its own test tones (logarithmic sweep) to the system.

What outputs do you have?

You could use Optical/Coax, USB, or HDMI digitally, or an analog output (which might be noisy, depending on circumstances).

I use an on-motherboard Optical out for the test tones and a UMIK-1 for capture.

I find it quite useful.
    What do you send the optical out to? I send digital out to my DAC via USB. (Fogive my ignorance please.)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Hi Bob,

My only tip would be to be careful with the sweeps, when doing the measurements, as some tweeters will not like that much energy going through them very quickly. Give it a minute or two between sweeps just to be on the safe side... And of course, mind the volume

cheers,
    Alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast