Does everything in Munich sound like Magico/ Spectral? Anything tonally rich or not European taste?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Just like we had a discussion on the meaning of seamless, we can now have one on the meaning of fast.

I don't think "no hangover from bass distortion to make them sound "slow" " is fast, because then any DRCed system is fast. Well, as a matter of fact, Marty's spectral+pipedreams+JL Gothams+DRC is still the fastest system I heard, causing realism through macro impact, speed, and jumps. Trios with bass horns are darn fast too. For me micro fast is how each not continuously and swiftly follows the other note, creating micro impact. Macro fast is speed slams and jumps and bass thumps. Stats and ribbons move pretty fast. With cones, I can hear drivers taking their own time, especially in the midbass and bass

1. Marty's Pipedreams are no horns. Yet you claimed:

The horns Brad mentions in his article, especially tune audio Anima and universum are faster than cones. Cones are slooow.

2. Subwoofers are usually cones. Many horn systems are mated with cone subs. So the question becomes, how does this gel with your above statement: "With cones, I can hear drivers taking their own time, especially in the midbass and bass".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
1. Marty's Pipedreams are no horns. Yet you claimed:

2. Subwoofers are usually cones. Many horn systems are mated with cone subs. So the question becomes, how does this gel with your above statement: "With cones, I can hear drivers taking their own time, especially in the midbass and bass".

Yes I know they are no horns and what subs are. Pipes are line sources. And when I say cones you know what I mean, I.am not referring to subs or signing off on a technically perfect document like a lawyer. Trio bass horns are no cones, and I don't like horns with closed cabinet bass

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes I know they are no horns and what subs are. Pipes are line sources. And when I say cones you know what I mean, I.am not referring to subs or signing off on a technically perfect document like a lawyer. Trio bass horns are no cones, and I don't like horns with closed cabinet bass

Just to be clear.. those basshorns are horn-loaded cones .. It may be time to stop reinforcing those myths through repetition but ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just to be clear.. those basshorns are horn-loaded cones .. It may be time to stop reinforcing those myths through repetition but ...

By cones the general reference is to closed cabinet speakers - boxes. Not subs, not open bass horns like trios. Not line arrays. In fact, I would exempt MTP D'appolito too as those are rare cone designs - unless you want me to speciify in every post a long list of brands, I think when I say cones it should suffice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Which myths?

AFAIK the horn sound characteristic in bass frequencies is mostly due to the impedance coupling of the tapered sound guide.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Which myths?

AFAIK the horn sound characteristic in bass frequencies is mostly due to the impedance coupling of the tapered sound guide.

The "slooow" cones myth...

Now the Bass horn is a horn loading of CONES drivers. I do know and understand what horn loading do.

and bonzo from your link , description of the basshorns ..

Each Basshorn is driven by two powerful 12 inch long excursion drivers with 600 watts RMS
What do you think those drivers are ?? Cones

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The "slooow" cones myth...

Now the Bass horn is a horn loading of CONES drivers. I do know and understand what horn loading do.

and bonzo from your link , description of the basshorns ..

What do you think those drivers are ?? Cones

Did you read the rest? Which cone speaker do you know of that complete design? Wilson? Magico? Verity? Avalon? Sonus? Blah blah

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Entering the fray: I have never thought of Magico cone speakers as sounding "slooow".

Bonzo, do you hear a difference in cone "speed" between sealed and ported cabinet designs?

I will say Magico sounds faster than Wilson but I prefer Wilson bass to Magico - but then I have not heard the M pro. Or focal bass.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Then maybe it was the Gotham subs I was hearing, plus the spectral speed

Spectral speed cannot compensate for "sloooww" cones ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Spectral speed cannot compensate for "sloooww" cones ;)

Exception then, since I never heard that anywhere else and did not hear those speakers anywhere else either.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Such a long array of cones behaves like a line source. People do not listen to geometric shapes of transducers, they listen to radiation patterns.

Sure, but the geometry will not affect the speed of the cones. If it sounds fast, then the cones are actually fast in their response.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sure, but the geometry will not affect the speed of the cones. If it sounds fast, then the cones are actually fast in their response.

IMHO the subjective concept of "sound quality speed" is not due to the velocity of displacement of the cone. It is much more complex than that. The same speaker unit can be used in "slow" or "fast" sounding speakers. Manufacturers measure speaker cones movement using extremely sensitive laser interferometry techniques - I think we can be sure that they do not select "slow" speaker units.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Did you read the rest? Which cone speaker do you know of that complete design? Wilson? Magico? Verity? Avalon? Sonus? Blah blah

WHat are you talking about here? I am lost ..

Carry on although the AvantGuarde basshorns are horn-loaded cone speakers :D

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
IMHO the subjective concept of "sound quality speed" is not due to the velocity of displacement of the cone. It is much more complex than that. The same speaker unit can be used in "slow" or "fast" sounding speakers. Manufacturers measure speaker cones movement using extremely sensitive laser interferometry techniques - I think we can be sure that they do not select "slow" speaker units.

Sure, but remember, cones are "slooow" ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing