New Playback Designs Dream Series DAC and Digital Transport

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Reviews and what I've seen on various forums have been very positive, but Playback Designs' website shows only three US dealers, all in the midwest. If they want to sell more in the US, they need a good distributor to help build the brand, someone like Philip O'Hanlon, On a Higher Note.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Reviews and what I've seen on various forums have been very positive, but Playback Designs' website shows only three US dealers, all in the midwest. If they want to sell more in the US, they need a good distributor to help build the brand, someone like Philip O'Hanlon, On a Higher Note.
I have discussed the marketing by the company with Gary Katayama who is a dealer (Audiophile Zone in Los Osos, CA) not listed on the website. I told him he was not on the website several weeks ago and he emailed Andreas Koch but still not listed. Frankly, they aren't much different than many hi-end audio companies. The efforts are in engineering and production, which is fine with me. I have had my MPT8/MPD8 for about 4-5 years now and still IMO the best DAC at any price.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Fact is that Andreas Koch & co are working hard to keep up with the global demand. The wish for additional partners are most certainly limited at this point in time, where the need to scale up the production would increase significantly with a larger network of representatives. I’m getting the sense that they choose partners very carefully without any rush to grow faster than needed. Quality, performance and good relationships comes first. The way it should be.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
The OP was wondering why the thread died even though the products were excellent. I surmised that it was due to lack of market presence. Choosing controlled growth over overextending one's resources in pursuit of growth is good. However, I also think it's important to achieve for some sort of 'critical mass' size in order to provide product support and residual values commensurate premium client expectations.

Reactions: F208Frank

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Andreas Koch also seems to be quite the gentleman based on small sample size. I told him I spent my son's college funds to buy his MPS-X and MPD-8. He thought i was joking.

I was not.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
I'm looking for streaming recommendations for the MPS-8. I'll be using this with a Pass INT-25 amp and Pure Audio Project Trio15-Coax10 speakers. The MPS-X looks interesting but I'd like to spend less - is the MPS-X a substantial improvement compared to the Stream X2?

I have a second system with SF Electa Amator III speakers and a Boulder 866 amp, and it would be nice to have the option to use the same streamer with either system, if possible. I don't want to do Roon, and I'd like to keep things as simple possible with either Tidal or Qobuz.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I'm looking for streaming recommendations for the MPS-8. I'll be using this with a Pass INT-25 amp and Pure Audio Project Trio15-Coax10 speakers. The MPS-X looks interesting but I'd like to spend less - is the MPS-X a substantial improvement compared to the Stream X2?

I have a second system with SF Electa Amator III speakers and a Boulder 866 amp, and it would be nice to have the option to use the same streamer with either system, if possible. I don't want to do Roon, and I'd like to keep things as simple possible with either Tidal or Qobuz.

If streaming is of high priority and you want a unit in level with your SOTA MPS-8 CD/DAC, there are no short tracks I'm afraid. The MPS-X would be the obvious choice. If this is out of reach, I would look at the Aurender N200, Lumin U2 or InnuOS PULSE which are all within the $5000-$8000 bracket.

Hope that helps.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: Rumpole

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andreas Koch also seems to be quite the gentleman based on small sample size. I told him I spent my son's college funds to buy his MPS-X and MPD-8. He thought i was joking.

I was not.
Education is wasted on the young.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing