New Playback Designs Dream Series DAC and Digital Transport

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
1. The link is broken.
2. It seems the pics shows XOs (crystal oscilators) not MEMS.

So far, all the papers I was able to finds show that XO have much lower phase noise than MEMS. Which makes sense, as MEMS oscillators utilize a Phase Locked Loop (PLL) design with a MEMS resonator being phase locked to a VCO in an M/N synthesizer loop. The phase noise level of the MEMS oscillators is the result of the combined effects of the PLL loop bandwidth, selectivity of the VCO, and Q of the primary resonator. The quartz resonator (XO) device is operating at the output frequency and does not have the added noise signals of the PLL in the output.

The higher levels of phase noise demonstrate that MEMS oscillators are not an equivalent technology. Current communications and data transmission applications will very likely have problems with jitter at the levels indicated in the Agilent test system.

http://www.pletronics.com/getfile.php?id=401

1. Phase noise and phase jitter
We considered three frequencies (40MHz, 100MHz and 156.25 MHz) and compared Crystal oscillators to MEMS oscillators of the same frequencies. The Laboratory measurements demonstrate that the phase noise is much better with the Crystal oscillator than the MEMS oscillator for all frequencies.

http://geyer-electronic.de/fileadmi...of_Crystal_Oscillator_and_MEMS_Oscillator.pdf

Anyway, I would like to learn Andreas Koch rationele for using MEMS.

I just corrected the link. Your first quote is now eight years old, MEMs performance improved a lot since 2009. Anyway the key in the MEMs performance seems to be phase noise due to mechanical susceptibility, an hot subject in WBF.

IMHO, at this level of performance common technical parameters are usually of little value and should be regarded with great care - theoretically they result in inaudible differences.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have always felt that innocent comments such as that made by Adam can sometimes vilify something. I know nothing about MEMS oscillators let alone other types so his comment piqued my attention.

Hence my last call to Andreas re Adam's post. His reply......

"Our oscillators are not PLL based, so this does not apply".

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That indeed may be true. I have found this:

These pMEMS resonators can have a native frequency of up to about 100 MHz. When packaged with a phase-locked loop (PLL) multiplier and synthesizer circuitry, they can deliver almost any frequency from 50 MHz to up to 625 MHz with a frequency accuracy of ±50/25 ppm.

http://beta.electronicdesign.com/co...=redirect&utm_referrer=https://www.google.pl/

I have no dog in this fight. Just trying to understand the new tech and certain design choices made be Mr. Koch.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
MEMs are NOT 'more accurate' than OSCs as they have higher phase noise, particularly higher close-in phase noise - the result of which is considered to be detrimental to soundstage as it causes a blurring of tones - a frequency modulation effect.

The one area that MEMs has advantages Vs OSCs is in vibrational susceptibility - OSCs are GENERALLY more susceptible to disturbances from vibrations than SOME MEMs. Methods to shield OSCs from vibrational disturbance can be taken to reduce this susceptibility, however

Don't know what the auditory perception will be of the interplay of these factors?

AFAIK, MEMS use a PLL as part of their design - it's within their silicon

Last edited:

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
From here:
Random vibration induces phase noise at low offsets from the carrier frequency, as shown by the difference between the blue (no vibration) and red (with vibration) curves in Figure 8. Although the ILSI MMD MEMS oscillator exhibits higher close-in phase noise when tested in a quiet environment, adding random vibration does not significantly increase the phase noise. In contrast, both SAW-based devices showed dramatic increase in phase noise under random vibration. This level of degradation can be detrimental to systems sensitive to close-in phase noise and shows how devices in real-world conditions may perform differently from datasheet specifications.​
f8-2.jpg

Yes, this looks impressive but if you look at the phase noise - the left hand side of the MEMs plot shows phase noise of -40dB @10Hz - a standard oscillator will have about -90dB@10Hz - a good oscillator about -120dB@10Hz. So before vibrational disturbances this MEMS (which is apparently one of the least susceptible to vibrational disturbances) is already 50dB worse than a standard clock & 80dB worse than a good clock - does ordinary vibration from music playback affect oscillators by introducing 50 to 80dB of noise - I doubt it?

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Heard the new Dream DAC prototype at AXPONA today. It reminds me of the 5-series sound, just better. Steve, I think you'll like this DAC.

Steve Williams

Heard the new Dream DAC prototype at AXPONA today. It reminds me of the 5-series sound, just better. Steve, I think you'll like this DAC.

Thanks for the update Chris. I've known Andreas for almost 20 years. This DAC really appeals to me as it will do what it is I am seeking. Plus I would say Andreas knows DSD.

My MPS-5 is back for the upgrade. I should have it back end of this week.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for the update Chris. I've known Andreas for almost 20 years. This DAC really appeals to me as it will do what it is I am seeking. Plus I would say Andreas knows DSD.

My MPS-5 is back for the upgrade. I should have it back end of this week.

Hi Steve,

Did you get your MPS-5 back from the upgrade? How does it sound compared to the MPS-5 prior to the upgrade?
Thanks,

VPN

Steve Williams

Hi Steve,

Did you get your MPS-5 back from the upgrade? How does it sound compared to the MPS-5 prior to the upgrade?
Thanks,

VPN

Yes

I did receive it back and it has been upgraded to all the latest caps and firmware

TBH it sounds darn good when I use it with the USB Xlll Box

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi Steve

Any more thoughts on the clock upgrade now it's been in a few days ?

Steve Williams

Hi Steve

Any more thoughts on the clock upgrade now it's been in a few days ?

TBH I am away now in St Petersburg Russia for a week and then off to the north of Italy for another week so I have not done any critical listening. I won't be home until July 3

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
TBH I am away now in St Petersburg Russia for a week and then off to the north of Italy for another week so I have not done any critical listening. I won't be home until July 3

safe travels and enjoy...from beluga to barolo!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

Hopefully with the travel ban back in place they will let you back in Lol

Do you have bona fide interests in USA ;)

Safe travels :)

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
safe travels and enjoy...from beluga to barolo!

excellent suggestions...
I live near the Barolo region; a magnificent wine but usually it's perfect during the winter seasons in addition to meat.
enjoy your travel ... be prepared since in north Italy we have an unusual hot-period...
best
Marco

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
excellent suggestions...
I live near the Barolo region; a magnificent wine but usually it's perfect during the winter seasons in addition to meat.
enjoy your travel ... be prepared since in north Italy we have an unusual hot-period...
best
Marco

You must be a true expert! Barolo 2001 and 2010...good years in my [very] limited experience.

Steve Williams

We leave Castello di Guarene today for Hotel La Palma in Stresa on Lake maggiore for 2 days and then a final night in Sorisa before we fly back home on Tuesday

Two days ago we toured Emilio Artere winery in Barolo and yesterday we toured all day in Barbaresco with dinner at a Michelin star restaurant

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing