Magnets in Audio: How Do They Work?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
If we are such deeply dedicated audiophiles, who really would like to know what to spend our money upon, I think it's incumbent on those who have the capability to set up some tests to prove/disprove some of this stuff themselves. While the tests may not be perfect in "scientific rigor", they are still a step toward understanding....certainly far better than us just sitting here on our forum and spouting all sorts of unverifiable things. Mike Lavigne, certainly a devout audiophile, has participated in many listening tests because he has a great drive to know more about why and how things act as they do. I hope that more of us follow this example and help push the art of music to blend successfully with the science of audio reproduction and acoustics. There really aren't "two camps", there's just the hassle of trying to bridge the gap with terminology and desire for progress.

Understand that I'm not poking at anyone with these statements. I'd just like to see a more proactive approach here, which could catapult our forum ahead of the other "repetitive discussion" forums. We certainly have some blue-chip minds here!

Lee

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The OP has no doubt that they work and are an improvement in his system. He has the devotion and dedication to understand more and asked for insight. Dismissing the audibility of the effect because there is no supporting data does not contribute to progress.

I'd just like to see a more proactive approach here, which could catapult our forum ahead of the other "repetitive discussion" forums. We certainly have some blue-chip minds here!

I just put a large neodymium magnet next to the power cord on my phono stage (most sensitive piece of equipment to power cord changes), and there was no effect I could hear. Then a pile of ferrite magnets, and still no difference.

But this does not mean that magnets have no effect, it only means that what I have done with magnets have no effect in my system detectable to my ear/brain.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Thanks, Gary! This is exactly what I was saying. Try this stuff out if possible. Personally, I'm in no position to say that something does or doesn't work. Independent testing, with statistically significant consensus, should imply that there is an effect worth detailed scientific study. There are far too many interactions between EMI, noise, etc. for us to make singular statements regarding small effects such as described. Yet, the possibility of the existence of effects should drive us to find out more.

Lee

Gedlee

WBF Technical Expert
Jul 21, 2010
Novi, MI
As a corollary to this discussion, what is the general opinion on the use of ferrite chokes on cabling to reduce/eliminate RFI?

Lee

If you have analog components with long leads, or known RFI problems, then these would be a good idea since the VHF stuff could cause problems. But if you are like me and only run external signals that are either digital or high level signals (speaker leads) then the chance of any RFI problems is quite minimal. If they did exist then it would be quite noticable as an unstable digital signal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As a corollary to this discussion, what is the general opinion on the use of ferrite chokes on cabling to reduce/eliminate RFI?

Lee

As ferrite chokes are used to filter RFI, this means they are reducing the bandwidth and probably can increase jitter in digital systems.
When used in analog systems using unbalanced systems, as cables are non ideal and the ground wires also have some inductance, the they can both solve or increase RFI problems.
There is some consensus that they generally degrade audio performance in high-end systems.

hendad

Mar 13, 2011
If we are such deeply dedicated audiophiles, who really would like to know what to spend our money upon, I think it's incumbent on those who have the capability to set up some tests to prove/disprove some of this stuff themselves. While the tests may not be perfect in "scientific rigor", they are still a step toward understanding....certainly far better than us just sitting here on our forum and spouting all sorts of unverifiable things. Mike Lavigne, certainly a devout audiophile, has participated in many listening tests because he has a great drive to know more about why and how things act as they do. I hope that more of us follow this example and help push the art of music to blend successfully with the science of audio reproduction and acoustics. There really aren't "two camps", there's just the hassle of trying to bridge the gap with terminology and desire for progress.

Understand that I'm not poking at anyone with these statements. I'd just like to see a more proactive approach here, which could catapult our forum ahead of the other "repetitive discussion" forums. We certainly have some blue-chip minds here!

Lee

Hi, all. I am interested in the potential negative impact of magnets on audio and so was pleased to come across this thread. I am wondering if any of the blue-chips have any insight to offer regarding my particular application. I am considering using neodymium magnets to affix removable back panels to the back of an AV cabinet, maybe 4 or 6 (2 to 3 per side edge), about 3/8" diameter, 3/8" tall - a bit like the end of a pencil. The tops would protrude a tiny bit off the face of the panel and attach to metal on the cabinet. They would possibly come within a few inches of wires/cables and be behind amps, pre-amps, power conditions, receivers, and the like. I know a speaker company uses the same magnets to attach grills to the fronts of speakers. Thanks very much in advance for any insight.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No direct insight but a suggestion. Take a magnet and instead of it being a few inches away, put it right next to the cable. Then listen to your music. If you can't detect anything then surely moving it away reduce the effect, not increase it.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I know a speaker company uses the same magnets to attach grills to the fronts of speakers. Thanks very much in advance for any insight.

Don't know if you are referring to us, but we use neo magnets to hold grills to the front of my speakers. I had two pairs of cabinets built - one with and one without the neo magnets. The two pairs sounded absolutely identical. We even found that magnets and LPs made no difference here:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2701-Reviewing-the-Furutec-Demag

I think you're safe with the magnets on the AV cabinet.... but try what Amir suggested anyway. Do a couple of different configurations - one magnet, two magnets with opposite poles (attract) on both sides of a wire, the two magnets with the same poles (repel) on both sides of a wire. The two interconnects that may have the greatest effect (smallest signal) will be the tonearm cable followed by the preamp cable.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
1. The effect is far too small to matter for practical audio circuits. (I suppose that will start a debate...)
2. The effect is directional, so technically it would help in one direction of current flow and hurt in the other. Audio signals alternate in polarity...
3. After years of research and more putting it into practice, GMR is used in some disk drives and other (relatively esoteric) areas. So, it is useful in practice, for some applications, but see (1).

hendad

Mar 13, 2011
Hi, Gay. No, was not referring to your company, but the fact that you also use the neo magnets tells me it's an acceptable practice. Thanks for your input. Thanks to the others as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing