Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Discrete Ladder DAC price implosion

Hehehe

So, anyone heard some of these ultra cheap discrete DACs yet? I am dead curious if they are close to say the TotalDAC or Aqua Formula, or are just poorly and cheaply implemented Chinese CXXP.
    Mac Mini Server with 12V DC Upton Audio MMK Mod and LPS feed , SSD and 16 GIG RAM, Audirvana V3 & Tital | Audio Note UK DAC 5 Special V2 (with Duelund Copper caps on line stage) | Passive pre-amplifier | Plinius SA-103 150W Class A / AB switchable | Zingali Client Name EVO 1.2 Horn Hybrids | Velodyne DD10 Sub | DIY KGSShv Carbon Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier | Stax SR-009 2016 | PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator | Dedicated Mains | AMR DP-777 DAC & Stax SR007A 2015 for second HP system.

Yes,Ultra Cheap ,Ultra Neutral(R2r ladder) and powered 5 independent ultracapacitor stages.

Quote Originally Posted by hurka View Post
    Yes,Ultra Cheap ,Ultra Neutral(R2r ladder) and powered 5 independent ultracapacitor stages.
    Which DAC? Any comparisons?
    Mac Mini Server with 12V DC Upton Audio MMK Mod and LPS feed , SSD and 16 GIG RAM, Audirvana V3 & Tital | Audio Note UK DAC 5 Special V2 (with Duelund Copper caps on line stage) | Passive pre-amplifier | Plinius SA-103 150W Class A / AB switchable | Zingali Client Name EVO 1.2 Horn Hybrids | Velodyne DD10 Sub | DIY KGSShv Carbon Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier | Stax SR-009 2016 | PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator | Dedicated Mains | AMR DP-777 DAC & Stax SR007A 2015 for second HP system.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Metrum Pavane or Adagio DACs, which are sub-$10,000 and are full 24-bit resolution - not just in theory (not that you could hear the dynamic range inherent in 24 bits).

It's interesting to note that the Adagio is said to be equal or beat the Aqua Formula, and I wouldn't doubt it. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/metrum3/1.html

I heard the original Metrum Pavane about 2 years ago and it beat the Yggy soundly, only being edged out by the Chord DAVE. However, now the Pavane is Level 3, and one can be had new for only $5629 + shipping. The Adagio, with built in preamp is $6259 plus shipping.

I have a Lampizator Golden Gate that I'm getting rid of for rat cheap, to either get the Pavane or the Adagio. In other words, being better than the one I heard 2 years ago...? Okay, I'm in. That's what I would call an "implosion."

LoL.

Make sure you audition them side by side and not get swayed by 6 moons poetry. I have a GG too and its miles ahead of the Pavane r most any other Dac I have heard, including the DAVE which I like.

6moons has no appreciation for quality DSD and that alone makes me dismiss them. I adore quality dSD and PC also, BTW. I dont like the YGGY from my time listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    LoL.

Make sure you audition them side by side and not get swayed by 6 moons poetry. I have a GG too and its miles ahead of the Pavane r most any other Dac I have heard, including the DAVE which I like.

6moons has no appreciation for quality DSD and that alone makes me dismiss them. I adore quality dSD and PC also, BTW. I dont like the YGGY from my time listening to it.
    Well, I don't have the R2R with my GG. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in their architecture since they basically told me it was a toss-up. Hmmmm...

At any rate, I guess I'm like 6moons in that my appreciation for DSD is only as good as the DSD master, inasmuch as I've heard crap ass DSD masters and good ones, too. If the master was done in PCM, first, as it's often the case, and then upsampled to DSD, I'm going to go for the PCM every time.

I have to admit, though, that the 100D tubes that came with the GG are some pretty fast tubes.

I have had both and also first gen R2R and now with firmware update. PCM is da bomb now and with much less gain than before, so I can use Kr242 tube now. Also got the superclocks/DSD512 and general refresh. ..Totally pleased!!! No reason to look at any other Dac.

RBCD upsampled to 512 c an be so amazing on the right tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
    Well, I don't have the R2R with my GG. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in their architecture since they basically told me it was a toss-up. Hmmmm...

At any rate, I guess I'm like 6moons in that my appreciation for DSD is only as good as the DSD master, inasmuch as I've heard crap ass DSD masters and good ones, too. If the master was done in PCM, first, as it's often the case, and then upsampled to DSD, I'm going to go for the PCM every time.

I have to admit, though, that the 100D tubes that came with the GG are some pretty fast tubes.
    I have TONS of DSD...lots not even available in PCM. Yes quality matters, but a vinyl rip I have of Satchmo tells me that sometimes PCM takes a back seat...other times no, of course.

Lampi guys have their favourites but to me R2R wins hands down.

I HATE the psvane 101d tubes, cheap and expensive ones both. I had some weak vintage WE 101ds and those were way better. I have a pair of the expensive ones lightly used for sale, if you are expensive...i will do half price, so $350 shipping included.

Kr242 and Lampi anniv mesh gloves are my favourites. i hear that EML mesh PX4 is dynamite too.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post

Feel free to change, just do a proper side by side compare before instead of going by reviews...
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast