Wadia 12 Dac or Rega dac

Buzz

Apr 8, 2017
Good day,

I would like your hear your experience with either the WADIA 12 DAC or REGA DAC.
And what would be your choice?

Thank you

Buzz

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't have experience with the Rega DAC, but the Wadia 12 was great. I had it for 20 years. Strong points: dynamics, liveliness and drama, as well as neutrality. Resolution was pretty good, but no match for my current Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC, which also excels in the areas mentioned.

In terms of liveliness, drama and neutrality it easily beat in my system modern alternatives like NAD M51 and Hegel DAC25. Warm and full sounding recordings are reproduced as such, colder or thinner sounding ones also (just like on the Berkeley). It doesn't pretty up things, which I like. I don't want all recordings to acquire a boring sameness. -- Bass is very precise, but on the leaner side of things, compared to modern DACs.

Caveat: mine was upgraded with a Wadia 860 opamp. More silence between the notes. I don't know how the stock Wadia 12 would compare to modern alternatives, but it still would have the positive attributes I just described.

You can get an old Wadia 12 very cheap these days.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You are probably aware that the Wadia 12 only decodes Redbook CD (max sampling input rate 48 kHz). To me it didn't matter since I am not interested in hi-res.

Or did you mean the modern Wadia 121 DAC? Then of course you can forget my above write-up ;)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Good day,

I would like your hear your experience with either the WADIA 12 DAC or REGA DAC.
And what would be your choice?

Thank you

Buzz

I would look more at a Wadia 9 or 15, which both had BB PCM63Ks inside. The Wadia 12 used either AD1864 (ok) or AD1865 (also pretty good). It seems the later ones had the AD1865 and if you want a 12 then that would be the right one to take.

Buzz

Apr 8, 2017
I don't have experience with the Rega DAC, but the Wadia 12 was great. I had it for 20 years. Strong points: dynamics, liveliness and drama, as well as neutrality. Resolution was pretty good, but no match for my current Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC, which also excels in the areas mentioned.

In terms of liveliness, drama and neutrality it easily beat in my system modern alternatives like NAD M51 and Hegel DAC25. Warm and full sounding recordings are reproduced as such, colder or thinner sounding ones also (just like on the Berkeley). It doesn't pretty up things, which I like. I don't want all recordings to acquire a boring sameness. -- Bass is very precise, but on the leaner side of things, compared to modern DACs.

Caveat: mine was upgraded with a Wadia 860 opamp. More silence between the notes. I don't know how the stock Wadia 12 would compare to modern alternatives, but it still would have the positive attributes I just described.

You can get an old Wadia 12 very cheap these days.

Thanks, Thats useful info.
I got the Wadia 12 in a heritage from a family member. I really like the sound but I was not sure if to keep using my Rega or switch

Buzz

Apr 8, 2017
Thanks, Thats useful info.
I got the Wadia 12 in a heritage from a family member. I really like the sound but I was not sure if to keep using my Rega or switch.
I will look to see about the AD1865

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing