Magico SPOD's

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
I have the Q3's, which we love, and would welcome comments from anyone who is considering these devices for their Magicos. Design differs from the MPods (price as well) but I suspect that Magico has done their homework on this. Thoughts?
WDW

kzhtoo

Nov 27, 2014
IMG_2294.JPG
I have them on my S3 mk1. The improvement is immediate and obvious. More bass articulation, midrange clarity and focus. Superb improvement option for Magico speakers.

Reactions: Protegimus

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
View attachment 31878
I have them on my S3 mk1. The improvement is immediate and obvious. More bass articulation, midrange clarity and focus. Superb improvement option for Magico speakers.

Once I get over the bad news next week regarding my tax debt, I will be ordering them. If the tax isn't too bad (I wish) then I will also get two Shunyata Denali 2000 for my amps. There always seems to be another level to reach. :)

Reactions: Protegimus

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Once I get over the bad news next week regarding my tax debt, I will be ordering them. If the tax isn't too bad (I wish) then I will also get two Shunyata Denali 2000 for my amps. There always seems to be another level to reach. :)

From the posts above, sounds like I will need to place the order...thanks, WDW

cjf

Nov 19, 2012

Hello,

Can you provide some more details on how you were able to mount these to your S3 Mk1's in place of the normally included factory spikes.

I also own S3 MK1's but the outrigger/spike combo on mine are not removable unless I wanted to take the outriggers out to the garage and start prying/cranking and heating them up to separate the turn up/down knobs from the Spike threads.

Also curious what the price of these are?

Interested in hearing more about what was involved in installing them..Thanks

kzhtoo

Nov 27, 2014
Magico will provide new out triggers for S3 mk1 (and S1 mk1). You will have to order SPOD PLUS, which is $200 more than normal SPOD.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
A local fellow Magico S3 Mk II owner swears by a less expensive alternative: IsoAcoustics GAIA Is for speakers up to 220 lbs or 100 kg. Price US$600 per qty 4.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have the Q3's, which we love, and would welcome comments from anyone who is considering these devices for their Magicos. Design differs from the MPods (price as well) but I suspect that Magico has done their homework on this. Thoughts?
WDW

I bought a set of SPODS for my Magico Q3s about six weeks ago from my local dealer, Goodwin's High End. My results are consistent with what others have written. I was making a lot of changes to my system at the time, so I did not do a serious direct comparison over time with the stock footers. However, I will say that I noticed an immediate improvement in bass articulation, and overall clarity to the sound upon installing them. Not artificial, hifi sounding, or enhanced in any way, just a cleaner, more natural sound. I would not describe it as more focused per se, because that implies imaging or a tightening of the sound in a uniform way. Loose bass strings, background instruments, layering, all remained, but the timbre seemed to become more accurate. I think the sound just became slightly less distorted.

I heard only improvements and noticed no areas in which the sound worsened. Sound quality just went up a notch. It is fairly difficult to describe. They seem expensive for what they are, but the improvement in sound is similar to making a slight preamp upgrade or adding a less colored phono cable or power cord. The sound did not change much in character, it just became a bit cleaner and easier to hear into the music.

I would have liked some instructions and a user manual. Installation is fairly straight forward, but I would like to know for instance if the top should be snug against the bottom of the speaker. (I assume it should be). Also, do the nuts need to be tightened snuggly against the bottom of the constrained layers? I used a 3/4" wrench to turn the nut and raise each corner to level the speaker, but then I found that I could not loosen the nut to lock down the threaded spike, so I had to remove the spike section and with pliers loosen the nut, and then start the process all over again. This was difficult and a bit frustrating. It is also difficult to turn the spikes for leveling without the help of the tightened nut, so installation and leveling were not as easy as I had expected, especially tipping such a heavy speaker by oneself while adjusting the heights of the spikes for level.

I also think the SPODS settle over time as I noticed the sound improved a bit over the first few days as the quite heavy (250 lbs) Q3 cabinet seemed to compress the various layers of the footer. I say this because the whole assembly became tighter and more difficult to loosen and unscrew from the bottom of the cabinet a few days later.

Anyway, a very worthwhile upgrade, IMO, for the Q3 speaker.

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6390.jpg

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Got my Spod installed, the improvements are almost day and night to me.
3E75B217-ACBF-4A3C-B28A-5C908FB37310.jpeg C8A3B1B6-9D2D-4933-9B90-A0E370D9783C.jpeg

Reactions: gds7368

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing