Montreal Audio Fest 2017

PierreB

Jan 15, 2011
Rimouski, Quebec
Thanks Pierre
Were there any systems that particularly impressed you?

Yes, there is one and it's not the biggest.
It's the one fron ANK (Audio Note Kit). 2 monoblocks EL34 with the Line 5 Mentor Pre-Amplifier and the Dac 5.1. The monitors come from A/S if my memories are correct but not sure.
The sound was so natural. Sure you don't have the base of a Sopra 3 or the Bryston Model T but I love it. All the kit cost about 17 000$CAN.

P1040377.JPG

P1040378.JPG

P1040462.JPG

P1040463.JPG

P1040464.JPG

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Many folks do have a different arm. When the table first hit the market the Black Beauty didn't exist.

It's a strange arm. You can't adjust overhang or horizontal alignment much at all. You adjust azimuth with the VTF weight so it's hard to do one without affecting the other. The philosophy behind it is that a minimalist approach pays dividends in sonics and that one doesn't change cartridges often.

That said, it certainly sounds good, although I haven't compared another arm on the Kronos.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Many folks do have a different arm. When the table first hit the market the Black Beauty didn't exist.

It's a strange arm. You can't adjust overhang or horizontal alignment much at all. You adjust azimuth with the VTF weight so it's hard to do one without affecting the other. The philosophy behind it is that a minimalist approach pays dividends in sonics and that one doesn't change cartridges often.

That said, it certainly sounds good, although I haven't compared another arm on the Kronos.

Ian

I know many people (you included)who have that combo. Im just wondering why not another arm?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian

I know many people (you included)who have that combo. Im just wondering why not another arm?

The combo is popular because the Black Beauty is marketed as the best match for the turntable - sort of like why owners of Lamm amplifiers often have the Lamm preamp. ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The combo is popular because the Black Beauty is marketed as the best match for the turntable - sort of like why owners of Lamm amplifiers often have the Lamm preamp. ;)

well not really as Lamm makes both

it was this comment

It's a strange arm. You can't adjust overhang or horizontal alignment much at all. You adjust azimuth with the VTF weight so it's hard to do one without affecting the other.

that all other owners also make which gets me wondering

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes, there is one and it's not the biggest.
It's the one fron ANK (Audio Note Kit). 2 monoblocks EL34 with the Line 5 Mentor Pre-Amplifier and the Dac 5.1. The monitors come from A/S if my memories are correct but not sure.
The sound was so natural. Sure you don't have the base of a Sopra 3 or the Bryston Model T but I love it. All the kit cost about 17 000$CAN.

View attachment 31880

View attachment 31881

View attachment 31882

View attachment 31883

View attachment 31884

Thanks Pierre
That is interesting.
I notice that system is hooked up to an Entreq Olympus Tellus which is one of the Entreq range that I have in my system and with which I am very pleased.
I hesitate to attribute that system's sonic virtues to the Olympus but I am sure it played a useful role.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've never seen the Kronos demoed with any arm except the Black Beauty which it seems every owner of the table also owns. Does anyone have a different arm on their Kronos

On their Kronos Pros, Jvs (Jim) and Detlof have the Graham and the SME v12 respectively.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing