Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stillpoints vs Magico Pods? Anyone compare? Sonic differences?

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    The sandwich Magico is using appears to be in principle almost exactly what I came up with roughly 10 years ago for my speakers, sans the copper; the blue material appears to be the same EAR Isodamp (in C-25 configuration/thickness in my case) that I use (see signature below), and I can tell you they hit the nail in the head, if the results are what I get. I actually had forgotten what impact they made in my speakers, so around Christmas I took one of them off of it, and couldn't listen for more than 5 minutes w/o them. I discovered Isodamp by chance while reading up on aerospace engines, and apparently that may have been the primary application back then; right now, its use is widespread. I had a thread about this years ago, and someone pointed out that the material leaves a mark on the surface it rests on, and it does, so I use an additional granite piece under it. It really works, and I expect the QPods to also work really well. The copper probably takes the solution to a higher level, as copper is soft.
    Confirmation that Magico is indeed using EAR Isodamp and other details here http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-mpod/ - compression is the key here to get the material to work best. In addition to the speakers, I use it under my turntable's feet.
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    Confirmation that Magico is indeed using EAR Isodamp and other details here http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-mpod/ - compression is the key here to get the material to work best. In addition to the speakers, I use it under my turntable's feet.
    And a mention of our old friend Al Moulton from Goodwins. I'm looking forward to Valin's M3 review.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

We can all get caught up in the excitement of a perceived improvement and here Jonathan Valin is making some big claims and having a fairly big push into the boundaries of the hyper boleee, but one thing really stood out... that JV says the M3s have a much less aggressive treble with the new mpods installed. So the M3 in stock form therefore has an aggressive treble??

I love JV's writing style in general though I am at times not so much a lover of the formula applied in his findings. However his descriptions are usually great communication but any use of the word aggressive in discussing the M3s upper regions here does seem completely out of place. For us mere mortals a simple slip but seemingly out of place for a real wordsmith like JV.
    Magnepan 20.7 - Shindo - Sanders - Sotm Ultra - Chord - Shunyata Cyclops & Z Anaconda and Python PCs - Wireworld Platinum Eclipse SCs, ICs, USB, jumpers - Stillpoint Ultra 5s throughout the system.

A few years ago I did extensive comparisons of the Magico Q-pods with all the Stillpoints variations available at that time. Under electronics and power conditioner I found the Stillpoints to be consistently less natural sounding than the Q-pods in all sonic aspects. Multiple applications of Stillpoints in my system always tended to result in a forward presentation. This was observed only in the context of my listening preferences which encompassed a wide variety of orchestral, chamber, and choral selections as well as 50s to 60s acoustic jazz.
    Stillpoints may be king of the hill in the marketplace but IMHO certainly not performance-wise. Especially since fo.q introduced the HEM-25 footer as a strong competitor to the Q-pod in the last couple of years. Both employ interesting and valid approaches to dissipate vibrational energy as heat, though the HEM-25 is the only footer in the industry I'm aware of that relies on the piezoelectric effect.
    http://www.soundstageultra.com/index...ote-insulators

Have any members experience of replacing factory or aftermarket footers with Magico QPods under transducers, in particular heavy floor standing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Have any members experience of replacing factory or aftermarket footers with Magico QPods under transducers, in particular heavy floor standing ?
    The Qpods are only recommended for fairly lightweight components, not much more than 50 lbs

You may be thinking of Mpods

No no, twas the single Qpods I was cogitating over, having read a comment from Magico that they do not recommend the use of the Q's under Magico speakers, however other brand speakers may benefit from their application, no mention made with regard to maximum load bearing so 50 lbs would not cut it for my requirements.

Thank you for the information miniguy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12