Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stillpoints vs Magico Pods? Anyone compare? Sonic differences?

Stillpoints vs Magico Pods? Anyone compare? Sonic differences?

Looks like Magico is getting into the footers business, trying to take away some business from the reigning king, Stillpoints. Marketing and other BS aside, has anyone compared these in the same system or under same components?

What are the Sonic differences?

Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Looks like Magico is getting into the footers business, trying to take away some business from the reigning king, Stillpoints. Marketing and other BS aside, has anyone compared these in the same system or under same components?

Caesar, what makes you think that Magico is getting into the footers business? Is there any information that these M or S pods will be marketed for use beyond specific Magico speakers? I think the QPods were marketed for use under electronics, but I have seen very little user feedback. I'd love to try them.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

Read the stereophile review of your amp, he also uses your preamp, and see what he uses for isolating the preamp
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Read the stereophile review of your amp, he also uses your preamp, and see what he uses for isolating the preamp
    Help us out, Bonzo.
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Thanks - I am well aware that the Shun Mooks could easily kill both of these products, as there are many claims of Stillpoints revealing too much "fake detail".

Yet I am always curious as to where the industry is going, whether I like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Caesar, what makes you think that Magico is getting into the footers business? Is there any information that these M or S pods will be marketed for use beyond specific Magico speakers? I think the QPods were marketed for use under electronics, but I have seen very little user feedback. I'd love to try them.
    "Sterile" Jon Valin has a new blog out about the magico footers on the TAS website. Here's a quote: "..Though I don’t yet know this for a fact, the MPODs may have the same astonishingly salubrious effect on any very heavy loudspeaker or component placed atop them. I’ll let you know about this as time goes by and I have the opportunity to try them under different, non-Magico items..."

Additionally, Fremer has been using some: "...Magico QPOD3: $1310 (set of 3), Magico QPOD4: $1680 (set of 4)
    Comprising a complex sandwich of CNC-turned stainless steel, oxygen-free copper, black-anodized aluminum, and a blue elastomer damping material, Magico's beautifully made, luxuriously packaged QPod footers are designed to convert vibrational energy into heat. With three QPods supporting his Ypsilon VPS-100 phono preamp, MF noted smoother vocal sibilants, improved soundstage depth, and better-controlled bass. "Now I don't think I can do without the stupid things." (Vol.35 No.6)...."

"Sterile" Jon Valin has a new blog out about the magico footers on the TAS website. Here's a quote: "..Though I don’t yet know this for a fact, the MPODs may have the same astonishingly salubrious effect on any very heavy loudspeaker or component placed atop them. I’ll let you know about this as time goes by and I have the opportunity to try them under different, non-Magico items..."

Additionally, Fremer has been using some: "...Magico QPOD3: $1310 (set of 3), Magico QPOD4: $1680 (set of 4)
    Comprising a complex sandwich of CNC-turned stainless steel, oxygen-free copper, black-anodized aluminum, and a blue elastomer damping material, Magico's beautifully made, luxuriously packaged QPod footers are designed to convert vibrational energy into heat. With three QPods supporting his Ypsilon VPS-100 phono preamp, MF noted smoother vocal sibilants, improved soundstage depth, and better-controlled bass. "Now I don't think I can do without the stupid things." (Vol.35 No.6)...."
    Yes, I read the TAS blog about the MPods a couple of days ago. I've heard the M Pros with/without the MPods. They made quite a difference in that particular system and the owner is very pleased to own the footers. But Valin seems to be speculating. Magico designed an audio rack a couple of years ago too. I hope these footers make it to more Magico models, but I think it is too early to assume they will be marketed to owners of other brands. Time should tell.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    "...Magico QPOD3: $1310 (set of 3), Magico QPOD4: $1680 (set of 4)
    Comprising a complex sandwich of CNC-turned stainless steel, oxygen-free copper, black-anodized aluminum, and a blue elastomer damping material,
    The sandwich Magico is using appears to be in principle almost exactly what I came up with roughly 10 years ago for my speakers, sans the copper; the blue material appears to be the same EAR Isodamp (in C-25 configuration/thickness in my case) that I use (see signature below), and I can tell you they hit the nail in the head, if the results are what I get. I actually had forgotten what impact they made in my speakers, so around Christmas I took one of them off of it, and couldn't listen for more than 5 minutes w/o them. I discovered Isodamp by chance while reading up on aerospace engines, and apparently that may have been the primary application back then; right now, its use is widespread. I had a thread about this years ago, and someone pointed out that the material leaves a mark on the surface it rests on, and it does, so I use an additional granite piece under it. It really works, and I expect the QPods to also work really well. The copper probably takes the solution to a higher level, as copper is soft.
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

I have seen the QPods at Magico's factory. They encourage demos from dealers. I'm curious if the design goal is to isolate, to drain, or do a combination of the two. It seems the MPods provide a coupling of the speaker to the floor, yet they also seem to draw away vibrational energy from the speaker and convert it to heat before it reaches the floor. When I heard the effect of the MPods under the MPro speaker, the effect was obvious. The floor was much less excited with the MPods in place, the sound became more resolving and focused. Clarity improved as well as bass impact, and the floor vibrated much less than before. I would think that they would be more effective on a suspended floor, wood or concrete, than on a concrete slab on grade, which would tend to flex much less.

I wonder if the QPods are more effective on a metal shelf or rack that has a lot of mass as opposed to a relatively light wooden shelf or platform like an HRS that has elastomers within it. I'd like to try the QPods under a component and compare it to my air isolation Townshend Seismic Sinks. I bet the sound would change, perhaps dramatically.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Help us out, Bonzo.
    Sorry. Just got back from a brilliant Mahler 7. What tuba and trombone, LSO was brilliant.

Caesar uses this CAT+Kraft combo http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...wQUj5crIqGq.97
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast