TAD R1s and CR1s: Jumper to bottom or top???

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Last year, my dealer was planning his move to another location at the same time I was thinking about putting together a second system. I asked him what he would recommend, particularly with older components that could be had at lower cost. He surprised me with suggesting his pair of TAD CM-1's, speakers that I had been impressed with maybe 10 years ago when I first heard them in his set up. Andrew Jones had built a small number of these speakers as prototypes for his CR-1's. They basically had the same speaker design, but have beautiful cabinetry that turned out to be too expensive to go into the CR-1's. The price was right. However, he could not find the jumpers that came with the speaker and just fashioned a pair that worked out of stranded copper.

Now that I have found this thread, I would like to try the diagonal placement of the speaker wires and get better jumpers. I see that AQ has three levels of jumpers, all solid wire - for $30, $230, and $550 (solid copper, functionally perfect copper, and silver). There are others that were mentioned, so some recommendations please. If the $30 pair is fine, then I don't mind going cheap - but if the others or ones you all suggest are better, I can go higher.

Thanks, Larry
Hi Larry,

I’m using the AQ Jupiter jumpers. They work fine for me.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I prefer using spades on both SC and jumpers. Spade on spade similar to one cable versus spade + banana where connection broken by binding post.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I prefer using spades on both SC and jumpers. Spade on spade similar to one cable versus spade + banana where connection broken by binding post.
Thanks. Do you have a preferred jumper?

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Thanks. Do you have a preferred jumper?
I'm using Enklein David SC and had them made me David jumpers last Christmas. Before Enklein, was using High Fidelity CT-1 jumpers.

With your Avantgarde speakers, try Duelund DCA12awga before spending more money.

Reactions: Stef

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'm using Enklein David SC and had them made me David jumpers last Christmas. Before Enklein, was using High Fidelity CT-1 jumpers.

With your Avantgarde speakers, try Duelund DCA12awga before spending more money.
Thanks. These jumpers are for my TAD CM-1 speakers (the prototypes for the CR-1). They are in my second system. Larry

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
ASTRO - can you post some pictures of the CM1? I can't seem to find any and would love to see them.

Audioquest does make biwire cables that have one pair of spades one end and 2 pairs on the other. They have to be ordered custom. While I did get to hear their previous top 2 audioquest speaker cables in my system, neither was the biwire option. I liked the top one (I think was Wel signature) for around $30k retail much more than the one below that.

I experimented a bit with and Without jumpers when i first got my CR-1’s years ago, and found I liked it without, but that was long ago and the system has evolved. I currently use a quad wire setup, with 2 cables running from each of my BHK300 binding posts, running separately to the CST, woofer, separate super tweeter and powered subs.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Here is the TD CM-1. Beautiful finish. I think the curvatures made it difficult to produce in quantity. Larry

Attachments

• TAD CM1 Back.JPG
    TAD CM1 Back.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 34
  • TAD CM1 Front.JPG
    TAD CM1 Front.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: RdW

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Astro, thanks for the naked pics.... Seriously though, there was no grill on the concentric drivers, or you took them off? I would consider running mine with a more open
grill, but not no grill at all since the beryllium is so easily cracked!

They must sound amazing! It looks like the cabinets are stacked layers (maybe Birch?) like Andrew’s first prototype for TAD? I read here the reference prototype cabinets were prone to failure, but maybe in the CM1 case it wasnt an issue. Seems like Alon Wolf took the stacked layers of birch concept for his mini that launched his company!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Astro, thanks for the naked pics.... Seriously though, there was no grill on the concentric drivers, or you took them off? I would consider running mine with a more open
grill, but not no grill at all since the beryllium is so easily cracked!

They must sound amazing! It looks like the cabinets are stacked layers (maybe Birch?) like Andrew’s first prototype for TAD? I read here the reference prototype cabinets were prone to failure, but maybe in the CM1 case it wasnt an issue. Seems like Alon Wolf took the stacked layers of birch concept for his mini that launched his company!
Grills on the bottom, but not the top. I understand he built about 10 pairs of the CM-1's. I don't know about any failures, since this pair is the only one I know. My dealer was TAD dealer and has continued to work with Andrew since he left for ELAC. I remember around 2010 he had some small Pioneer in wall speakers that he said Andrew had designed - I guess a precursor of the work he has done for ELAC.

sam1000

Sep 3, 2018
I tried couple of jumpers with CR-1s. The one that made significant improvement for me was a demo pair of Siltech DC from a dealer. I bought the demo pair.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing