Phono for LOMC or cartridge for phonostage

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this - it does sound like a bargain. David is the same Jensen you were referring to?

For this price I might get it to hear what it does to the sound of my A95 through my CAT phono.

It's a great tool to have in the house. Imagine paying $3k for one...like Ypsilon ? If Lamm felt it was good enough for their signature line, it is good enough for me. It is very hard to tell the difference between the outboard Jensen and the one built into my Lamm LP1 Sig. You need to have a phono cable type RCA with a ground. I use a NOS SME cable between the SUT and the phono stage MM inputs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-SM...468047?hash=item56974b168f:g:fYcAAOSwo4pYg31n

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 111

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It's a great tool to have in the house. Imagine paying $3k for one...like Ypsilon ? If Lamm felt it was good enough for their signature line, it is good enough for me. It is very hard to tell the difference between the outboard Jensen and the one built into my Lamm LP1 Sig. You need to have a phono cable type RCA with a ground. I use a NOS SME cable between the SUT and the phono stage MM inputs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-SM...468047?hash=item56974b168f:g:fYcAAOSwo4pYg31n

Thanks. Btw, the new Ypsilon SUTs are 7k!!!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Isn't the phono cable that comes with my SME 3012R made by Van Den Hul?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
How are silvercores, any compares?

Hey Bonzo,

Not a personal one, no. I have a friend who imports and distributes Keith Aschenbrenner's Auditorium 23 Homage T1 and got in the entry-level 1:10 Silvercore in to try. It wasn't really a fair contest, but they liked the Silvercore. Oswalds Mill Audio distributes Silvercore in the States, though that may or may not be much of a recommendation depending on your view. Slagle winds stuff for Silbatone, so if it's good enough for them, it should be more than adequate for someone like me. Again, I think each SUT is its own thing, but if I was to spend money on a SUT I'd want it wound for my cart by someone who knew that inside and outside of primary and secondary windings better than I simply 'cause I happened to read a bunch of stuff on the interwebs.

853guy

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I use this (Jensen Transformers) with a Lyra Olympos SL mono cart, .15mV output, plugged into the MM input of my phonostage(s). +32dB. It's the same transformer that is direct coupled in my Lamm LP1 Sig phono stage for the hi gain MC selection. Dead quiet, neutral sounding and a real sonic bargain.(...)

As far as I know the transformers used by Lamm are the top Jensen's MC transformers - the MC2RR uses the lower grade, much cheaper ones.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
That link was a very interesting read 853guy. Thanks for sharing that

It was quite an effort to copy and paste that link. But you're worth it Steve!*

Be well,

853guy

*P.S. For those not familiar with the word usage there, yes, it was sarcasm, and yes, it was intended to be received in good-natured humour.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Bonzo,

Not a personal one, no. I have a friend who imports and distributes Keith Aschenbrenner's Auditorium 23 Homage T1 and got in the entry-level 1:10 Silvercore in to try. It wasn't really a fair contest, but they liked the Silvercore. Oswalds Mill Audio distributes Silvercore in the States, though that may or may not be much of a recommendation depending on your view. Slagle winds stuff for Silbatone, so if it's good enough for them, it should be more than adequate for someone like me. Again, I think each SUT is its own thing, but if I was to spend money on a SUT I'd want it wound for my cart by someone who knew that inside and outside of primary and secondary windings better than I simply 'cause I happened to read a bunch of stuff on the interwebs.

853guy

Ok, so was auditorium homage that much better? And I expect silvercore would have above entry level. He hangs out with Silbatone guys too though I don't know if he winds stuff for them

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this - it does sound like a bargain. David is the same Jensen you were referring to?

For this price I might get it to hear what it does to the sound of my A95 through my CAT phono.

It's the same one Ian and you should try the Ortofon with your A95 as well. I have demo units PM me if you want to try.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
As far as I know the transformers used by Lamm are the top Jensen's MC transformers - the MC2RR uses the lower grade, much cheaper ones.

Slightly different Micro but not lower grade. I compared the Jensen to many exotic ones and you don't give up anything in SQ but of course there's always the issue of synergy. Overall I find the Jensen more universal than any of the other ones I have, both with vintage & modern cartridges.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Slightly different Micro but not lower grade. I compared the Jensen to many exotic ones and you don't give up anything in SQ but of course there's always the issue of synergy. Overall I find the Jensen more universal than any of the other ones I have, both with vintage & modern cartridges.

david

David,

Do you prefer the 34/44 DX to the 346AXT's or 347AXT's?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Ok, so was auditorium homage that much better? And I expect silvercore would have above entry level. He hangs out with Silbatone guys too though I don't know if he winds stuff for them

I think it was the entry level Silvercore one, so at ten times the price, yes. Not much of a surprise, right? He also distributes EMT carts and SPUs so, again, very specific requirements for both. The hi-fi business being what it is, there could be a thousand reasons they decided not to distribute it, none of them related to ultimate sound quality.

Slagle makes the silver-wired autoformer volume controls for Silbatone's upper-tier stuff. Joe Roberts says they tried everything (and I have no reason to doubt that they did) and the Slagleformers came up trumps.

853guy

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Dear Dan,

You have me a bit confused. You are feeding the output of the Io into a line stage preamp?

I am feeding the Io Signature into a preamp. I have the Io with the direct output. No volume control on my Io. When I was researching this is what Albert Porter had thought was his take, that Io direct to preamp was better for him.

I can attenuate the sound in 5 different gain settings for the output.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

Do you prefer the 34/44 DX to the 346AXT's or 347AXT's?

I think you already know the answer Micro; it depends! Cartridge/system synergy is the final arbiter not everyone can use the the lower out put versions of the 346 &347 AXT or the 34k-DX.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Jack has used Silvercore with his Valvet. Hopefully he reads this and reports

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am feeding the Io Signature into a preamp. I have the Io with the direct output. No volume control on my Io. When I was researching this is what Albert Porter had thought was his take, that Io direct to preamp was better for him.

I can attenuate the sound in 5 different gain settings for the output.

I understand. Thank you.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Isn't the phono cable that comes with my SME 3012R made by Van Den Hul?

I don't know. David referred me to the ebayer from Switzerland who had quite a few NOS pairs for sale with gold plated connectors. It is branded SME. Maybe David knows the back story. I bought 2 pair last summer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing