Phono for LOMC or cartridge for phonostage

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What would you guys do, if you liked a LOMC, would you get a SUT and phono, or if you liked a phone like Aesthetix IO Sig, get a higher output cartridge instead of the LOMC so that the IO exhibits less noise

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd get a phono that can play high and low and never have to worry after that.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What would you guys do, if you liked a LOMC, would you get a SUT and phono, or if you liked a phone like Aesthetix IO Sig, get a higher output cartridge instead of the LOMC so that the IO exhibits less noise

I've heard the IO Sig with a Koetsu Coralstone and a Air Tight supreme at a buddies. With the right tubes...it can do .2mv very well.

I do suspect life is easier however with a .5mv...lots of good options out there (Lyra and ClearAudio for example). I would not put a SUT in front of the IO...part of its charm is all tube.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've heard the IO Sig with a Koetsu Coralstone and a Air Tight supreme at a buddies. With the right tubes...it can do .2mv very well.

I do suspect life is easier however with a .5mv...lots of good options out there (Lyra and ClearAudio for example). I would not put a SUT in front of the IO...part of its charm is all tube.

Yes so you could use a Lyra Etna into a IO. But if you liked the Zyx Uni P more, would you still go with an IO or take another phonostage, or what is more important, keep the IO and go Zyx Uni P (for example), or the Jan Allaerts you had which I think is quite low output?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes so you could use a Lyra Etna into a IO. But if you liked the Zyx Uni P more, would you still go with an IO or take another phonostage, or what is more important, keep the IO and go Zyx Uni P (for example), or the Jan Allaerts you had which I think is quite low output?

If you have a Io already, I'd keep it. It's not a weak link-pretty good phono stage. I'd match a cartridge to the Io...The Allaerts is barely .2mv...although a wonderful sounding cartridge. That's my 2cents

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm with Jack. I'd get a good phono stage capable of handling a full range of cartridges. I would not want a phono stage that would restrict my future choices in cartridges. However, I don't have experience with SUTs nor really super LOMC. I happen to like low impedance, high output MC cartridges like my AirTight and MSL. Both have 1 ohm internal impedance and 0.4 and 0.5 mV output voltage respectively.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is the same kind of decision one makes for speakers, do you get a sensitive easy to drive pair or go with something that needs a power plant to come to life? That choice also determines which phono you can/must buy now don't compound restrictions with a phono lacking enough gain for your system.

SUTs are a whole another subject, it's a personality altering tool like any other component it can be used to great effect or to the detriment of your sound.

david

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

Hey Bonzo,

Like the others have hinted... it depends on what your ultimate priorities are.

Me? I'd buy whatever phono-pre I preferred for its overall attributes, and look at commissioning SUT's specifically for individual carts that proved problematic. That way, I'd keep myself from being boxed in to a limited number of carts, and without forsaking the phono-pre's crucial role in working with the rest of the system.

I don't believe a well-designed and bespoke SUT to be as nearly as limiting as a factor as a cart that asks for too much from a pre, but my experience is limited to only a few carts and SUTs. Each cart would need to be evaluated on its own terms with the pre in question.

Best,

853guy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is the same kind of decision one makes for speakers, do you get a sensitive easy to drive pair or go with something that needs a power plant to come to life? That choice also determines which phono you can/must buy now don't compound restrictions with a phono lacking enough gain for your system.

SUTs are a whole another subject, it's a personality altering tool like any other component it can be used to great effect or to the detriment of your sound.

david

So what good SUTs for Ortofon a95, Zyx type carts?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

My phono, the Lamm LP1 Signature has two MC inputs, the first designed for low output MC (under 0.2 mv) and the second input designed for MC above 0.2 mv. There is also a 3rd input for MM carts as well as allowing for different SUT's

Best of all worlds. When I visited ddk he was using many vintage SUT's for me to hear

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
So what good SUTs for Ortofon a95, Zyx type carts?

Ortofon's own ST-80 works great with the A95 & other Ortofon cartridges as does Jensen. Each SUT will give you a different flavor and I like both!

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ortofon's own ST-80 works great with the A95 & other Ortofon cartridges as does Jensen. Each SUT will give you a different flavor and I like both!

david

So you don't lose any Lamm magic if you put these ahead of the Lamm?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Not at all!

david

Edit- Of course it's a given that for best results the SUT should match the cartridge and experimentation is needed but in this case I have the experience.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The OP presents a question that I am pondering right now. My current tube based phono stage limits me to cartridges that are appx 0.35 mv or above. So, many cartridges are out...However, there are still some excellent choices available and the difference in cost to me by dumping my current phono stage ( which also happens to be part of my preamp..a CAT) is not one that I am going to consider ( well, you know this hobby....probably not going to:rolleyes:). Also, just because a cartridge has very low output, doesn't in my books automatically insure that it sounds better than its higher output brethren. Plus, I really like my current tube based phono stage....with the rolled in NOS tubes, its going to be tremendously hard to better.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
i am using the Io with a Lyra Kleos. I'm using attn setting 4 and I am always at or below 50% volume in my Spectral preamp. Any new cartridges will likley be low output 0.2 tp 0.3 and I have no noise concerns.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The OP presents a question that I am pondering right now. My current tube based phono stage limits me to cartridges that are appx 0.35 mv or above. So, many cartridges are out...However, there are still some excellent choices available and the difference in cost to me by dumping my current phono stage ( which also happens to be part of my preamp..a CAT) is not one that I am going to consider ( well, you know this hobby....probably not going to:rolleyes:). Also, just because a cartridge has very low output, doesn't in my books automatically insure that it sounds better than its higher output brethren. Plus, I really like my current tube based phono stage....with the rolled in NOS tubes, its going to be tremendously hard to better.

I use this (Jensen Transformers) with a Lyra Olympos SL mono cart, .15mV output, plugged into the MM input of my phonostage(s). +32dB. It's the same transformer that is direct coupled in my Lamm LP1 Sig phono stage for the hi gain MC selection. Dead quiet, neutral sounding and a real sonic bargain.
http://www.cs1.net/products/jensen_transformers/MC-2RR.htm

Attachments

• MC-2RR.jpg
    MC-2RR.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Nope. While not a member of the Lamm Signature club, I've had great results with my Koetsu and My Sonic Labs SUTs into the MM of my LP2 and LP2.1s.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
i am using the Io with a Lyra Kleos. I'm using attn setting 4 and I am always at or below 50% volume in my Spectral preamp. Any new cartridges will likley be low output 0.2 tp 0.3 and I have no noise concerns.

Dear Dan,

You have me a bit confused. You are feeding the output of the Io into a line stage preamp?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I use this (Jensen Transformers) with a Lyra Olympos SL mono cart, .15mV output, plugged into the MM input of my phonostage(s). +32dB. It's the same transformer that is direct coupled in my Lamm LP1 Sig phono stage for the hi gain MC selection. Dead quiet, neutral sounding and a real sonic bargain.
http://www.cs1.net/products/jensen_transformers/MC-2RR.htm

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this - it does sound like a bargain. David is the same Jensen you were referring to?

For this price I might get it to hear what it does to the sound of my A95 through my CAT phono.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing