Phono for LOMC or cartridge for phonostage

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think you already know the answer Micro; it depends! Cartridge/system synergy is the final arbiter not everyone can use the the lower out put versions of the 346 &347 AXT or the 34k-DX.

david

Surely - very few cartridges can use the 34DX. But assuming they are wired for similar (between 1:8 and 1:12) gain do you have any preference?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
So what good SUTs for Ortofon a95, Zyx type carts?

The Expressive Technologies SU-1--now only on the S/H market unfortunately-- but the only SUT I've heard that delivers as promised.Worth the wait till you can find one.

I've owned the much vaunted Auditorium A23 and found it too dark sounding for my taste but comes in second--equal to the Ypsilon--which I would take in pinch over the A23.

YVMV

BD

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Surely - very few cartridges can use the 34DX. But assuming they are wired for similar (between 1:8 and 1:12) gain do you have any preference?

It really depends on the cartridges but I would say that the medium output versions of both 346 & 347 AXT (1:12) are the most universal ones working well with most cartridges and systems, high output (1:24) 347 AXT has some special magic with a few vintage designs like the EMT OFD or the original Newmann DST but medium output version works fine too. Don't dismiss the 34DX it plays real nice with an Ortofon 15SL & early SPUs. The pricing of Jensen SUTs is such that one can afford experimentation.

david

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack has used Silvercore with his Valvet. Hopefully he reads this and reports

Silver Cores come with the Soulphono. Wonderful phono stage for not that much money. :) Mine has 3 pairs. 2 x 1;10 and 1 x 1:20. Tube complement is 1pr 12ax7 and 1 pr 12at7. Power supply is external, SS diode rectified. Very quiet so lots of dynamics albeit tone is more towards classic tube sound not quite to the extent of octal sound however. Full and rich with good speed. Not as quick as Lamm though. Valvet used to have a tube rectified power supply. I found the noise floor went up with tube rectification. The Universal Tube PS was discontinued some years back. The capacitor free SS unit was apparently preferred not just by me and other Valvet owners but by the designer as well. I wish I did have a standalone Silver Core so I could test it into the Lamm LP2.1's MM input. Alas, I can only say they work great in the Valvet Circuit. I also wish I had kept the tube PS as it is a possibility that my rectifiers were simply long in the tooth. Now that KR has been making excellent rectifiers and I have easy access to these.....oh well.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I use this (Jensen Transformers) with a Lyra Olympos SL mono cart, .15mV output, plugged into the MM input of my phonostage(s). +32dB. It's the same transformer that is direct coupled in my Lamm LP1 Sig phono stage for the hi gain MC selection. Dead quiet, neutral sounding and a real sonic bargain.
http://www.cs1.net/products/jensen_transformers/MC-2RR.htm

Thanks, Christian! That's a great link and I will definitely check it out. The price seems more than reasonable. If I can consider a lower output cartridge ( I actually really like the Transfiguration Proteus at 0.2mv) that is certainly a plus.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Thanks, Christian! That's a great link and I will definitely check it out. The price seems more than reasonable. If I can consider a lower output cartridge ( I actually really like the Transfiguration Proteus at 0.2mv) that is certainly a plus.

Transfiguration uses the 3.54cm/s, 1kHz vs the 5cm/sec. so the output of the Protius in actually a little higher around 0.4mV

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am feeding the Io Signature into a preamp. I have the Io with the direct output. No volume control on my Io. When I was researching this is what Albert Porter had thought was his take, that Io direct to preamp was better for him.

I can attenuate the sound in 5 different gain settings for the output.

Dan, have you experimented with different Io gain/attenuator settings and different Spectral preamp gain settings?

For example, how does it sound if you extract all of the gain from the Io, and use the preamp essentially as an attenuator?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Hi Ron,

I am probably attenuating the Io signal at the preamp in my current configuration. I do not have the information on my preamp when it shifts from attenuation to gain. I listen around 50% of the available volume control so I would guess minimal gain if any from the preamp. I checked my Io and it is set at att3 or -12 db of attenuation, ~68 db of gain from the phono. My Kleos has 0.5 mV output.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Transfiguration uses the 3.54cm/s, 1kHz vs the 5cm/sec. so the output of the Protius in actually a little higher around 0.4mV
Wow, that's an eye opener! My Transfiguration dealer was 100% sure that this cartridge would definitely not work with my phono stage, due to the lack of output...
I think Gary Koh has a revised version with a new cantilever, if this is now an option, I will have to make an effort to hear it. Thanks.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Years ago I heard a IO three box all tricked out with good NOS tubes. The owner used a Dynavector XV=1s at 0.3 mv. I did not hear any noise issues at the time. But I will say the thought of all those tubes going and having to find good NOS tubes these days is frightening.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing