Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What amplifiers work best with Rockports? What have you heard?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I've heard Rockports on BAT (tube and SS) and Vitus at Newport for many years (member here cakeaudio does a great setup) as well as the Cygnus on Boulder at this year's RMAF. BAT SS was my favorite setup between these options and an easy recommendation.

Ironic that Andy uses Gryphon which of course isn't distributed here? Or does he sell it direct.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    I agree Cake Audio does a great set-up.

I know that there are no direct sales of Gryphon products in the USA.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! lasercd's Avatar
    I use a Boulder 2060 to drive a pair of Rockport Aquila. Its an exceptionally good match.

I was told that Andy Payor recently switched to Boulder amplification.
    Ken Golden
    The Laser's Edge
    www.lasercd.com
    www.lasersedgegroup.com

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    I ran my Rockies with Jadis JA100 Monos--smooth non fatiguing sound--Ok bass--little syrupy possibly but enjoyable--

lacked real grunt when demanded but Aprt living precluded any lease breaking episodes

Wish I could recommend fully the Jadis gears but after Power Transformer failures and having to change out blown R150 Resistors across the Tubes

with heavy heart ,inspite of the sublime smoothness---I'm afraid the answer is no

BruceD

I would imagine Payor gets all manner of high end amplifiers to try out. I don't think stating a specific preference would serve him well in general. If I manufactured speakers, I wouldn't endorse a particular amp but would display them with as many different amps as possible as long as the amps were generally suitable to the speakers' power and impedance requirements.
    SME 30/2 Turntable, Da Vinci Grandezza Tonearm, Benz MC-3 Cartridge, Allnic HT 3000 head amp, Allnic H-3000 Phono, Allnic L 5000 preamp, Accuphase F 25, Analysis Audio Epsilon Speaker/foil tweeters in four way active crossover Amplification: Sony TAN 8550 VFET amp (26 DHT preamp driver)350-7000hz, Yamaha B-2 VFET amplifier (26 DHT preamp driver)80-350hz , 45 SET tube amp 7000Hz to infinity Hz, Yamaha RX Z9 plus Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000 preamp processor 9.4 surround sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12