What amplifiers work best with Rockports? What have you heard?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Also, does anyone know what amplifiers Andy Payor uses during R&D? Thanks

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I've heard Arrakis with 2 pair of Siegfrieds which are superb. I also heard the Aviors at RMAF a few years back with Absolare amps, I believe. Different models, different rooms, different sources but if I had to guesstimate the amp flavor - the VTLs have muscle along with finesse with less tube qualities. The Absolare much more tubeyness and less bass control. Both have excellent midrange and highs, excellent spacial cues and dimension.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Also, does anyone know what amplifiers Andy Payor uses during R&D? Thanks

Andy Payor uses Gryphon, though i have seen his website use CJ and VTL as well from his photos. today, you see Gryphon amplification and preamplification on his website. I have also spoken with him, and he definitely uses Gryphon a lot during design, testing and auditioning.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Andy Payor uses Gryphon, though i have seen his website use CJ and VTL as well from his photos. today, you see Gryphon amplification and preamplification on his website. I have also spoken with him, and he definitely uses Gryphon a lot during design, testing and auditioning.

Like I said ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
"Works best" is completely subjective...
Best I've heard was Boulder. They seem to LOVE the extra wattage. Curious how a pair of D'Agostinos would do on them...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Andy switched from VTL to Gryphon. I would imagine that any amplifier manufacturer would be ecstatic to get an endorsement like that from Andy.

I like the VTLs on my friend's Arrakis speakers. I have never heard Gryphon on Arrakis. Two different flavors of amazing -- of that I am certain!

When I -- somewhat sheepishly -- told Flemming I would be driving the Pendragons with 350 watt VTLs he was not horrified.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In HK Rockport shows with VTL. Great sound every time.

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
ASR Emitter 1 & 2, Ypsilon Aeliusmkii+pst100, Absolare set and push pull, Gryphon antileon, mephisto, colesseum, Ongaku, Kagura etc. All of them works beatifully on their own way. What are you really looking for ?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've heard Rockports on BAT (tube and SS) and Vitus at Newport for many years (member here cakeaudio does a great setup) as well as the Cygnus on Boulder at this year's RMAF. BAT SS was my favorite setup between these options and an easy recommendation.

Ironic that Andy uses Gryphon which of course isn't distributed here? Or does he sell it direct.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree Cake Audio does a great set-up.

I know that there are no direct sales of Gryphon products in the USA.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I use a Boulder 2060 to drive a pair of Rockport Aquila. Its an exceptionally good match.

I was told that Andy Payor recently switched to Boulder amplification.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I ran my Rockies with Jadis JA100 Monos--smooth non fatiguing sound--Ok bass--little syrupy possibly but enjoyable--

lacked real grunt when demanded but Aprt living precluded any lease breaking episodes :D

Wish I could recommend fully the Jadis gears but after Power Transformer failures and having to change out blown R150 Resistors across the Tubes:mad:

with heavy heart ,inspite of the sublime smoothness---I'm afraid the answer is no:(

BruceD

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I would imagine Payor gets all manner of high end amplifiers to try out. I don't think stating a specific preference would serve him well in general. If I manufactured speakers, I wouldn't endorse a particular amp but would display them with as many different amps as possible as long as the amps were generally suitable to the speakers' power and impedance requirements.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
To add to the mix, I heard he uses Doshi 180 mono's.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I use Nagra HD monos with Aviors. In my smaller room, I don't feel I'm missing much.

Dave

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Two SS amps I like are Wells Audio, which has a nice tube sound, and Merrill Audio which is very fast and detailed. The only other SS amps that challenge these are D'Agostino.

If you want tube, go with single-tube output SET, like the Arte Forma. 30W DC-coupled monoblocks, so no caps in the signal path. Great iron too. Just needs the right tubes, and I can help with selecting these.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
My Aviors sing beautifully with my pair of 150wpc SET amps

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing