Wilson-Benesch Torus versus JL Audio/Paradigm/REL/Seaton/Velodyne/Etc.?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone compared directly in a familiar system the Wilson-Benesch Torus to another well-known subwoofer?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anyone compared directly in a familiar system the Wilson-Benesch Torus to another well-known subwoofer?

Comparing subs will be tough as it will depend on set up skills. If I was to buy a sub I would buy the JLs just so that I could get Marty to help dial-in over the phone. Alternatively if you can get someone like Mark Seaton to help, then buy Seaton subs. I doubt at this level you will be able to plonk down a sub without spending considerable time setting them up right

Reactions: infinitely baffled

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Try Mihalis on AGon? He has very positive things to say about these and uses them in a 2nd system with Magico Minis

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had a Krell Master reference and i never listen a sub better than this,200 kg about of weight with 2 15" woofer with 7 cm max excursion and 6.000 watt of power.

I used with a monovia Audiotekne CB,cut at 40/50 hz,very impressive

To find this second hand can be a bargain

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Many of us have heard a subwoofer we liked.

Did you ever compare directly the Krell subwoofer to the W-B Torus subwoofer?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
No because i had Krell 15 years ago,but i remember very well his performance.

I know very well Torus because my friend in Milan is Italian distributor of WB.
Also Bonzo listened
I listen a lot of time and i like a lot because is very natural,deep bass but don't dirty the mid bass frequency
Absolutly to listen,i think is better than Rel,Velodyne and others
I always listen with small speaker like WB and i don't know with big speaker how can work

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I thought the Krell Master Reference sub was the best sub I have ever heard although the Wilson Thor Hammer is also but even larger. The largest sub I ever owned was the Wilson XS which was 82" tall and boasted 2 18" drivers. My house would shake when I played certain passages. I powered it with a Krell Mcx750

People rarely sold them gian. Why did you part with yours (other than its size and weight)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Really another better sub i had

In 1992 i had Soundlab A1 and later i bought the sub mono B1, high 2.20 mt and large 1.10 mt each
I had Mark Levinson ML 6B preamp,cross mono LNC2 and 8 mono N20 using 2 bridge for each speaker, A1 and B1
Really never listen one sub go down like this and with his power
The organ recording of Miller & Kreisel was more than incredible.
Also all the whole system was incredible,thinking we were in 1992

Then 1 year later i knew Be Yamamura,he also lived some months in my home and we went with our girlfriends in mountain 3 times to sky and we become very friend
Then i told him what he was thinking about the sound of my system.
This seems a joke and he answer,dear Gianluigi this sound is terrible.

Then he did for me one preamp mono with 2 power supply,4 boxes and 4 boxes power amp with 845 and all with transformer in superpermalloy,all together 260 kg,and i really understood a new incredible sound better than Mark Levinson and all we had in Italy in that period like Rowland,Cello,Jadis,ARC,YBA,ecc,ecc

This was first time we could listen i and my friend one japanise tube amp with triode.
Audio tekene and Audio Note was not yet imported in Italy

So i sold everything and started with Yamamura,then Audiotekne and then Kondo since 1993 to 2015

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO you can not separate subwoofer performance from the main speakers you are using. What I remember from a subwoofer is not how low it went, but how well it blended in the system, creating image, scale and easiness. Again IMHO asking for the best subwoofer in absolute terms is meaningless.

The best performances using subs I have listened were always of the matching sub and speakers - Krell Master sub + LAT 1000, Wilson WatchDog + Wilson Watt+Puppy 7 and Martin Logan Descent with Prodigy. Surely this was many years ago, long before DSP and the new modern crossover designs. It is why sometime in the next months I will start playing with the JLAudio JL113 mk2's and the CR1 in my system.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Sure the most and only important thing of one subwoofer is how well it blended.
Is very very difficult to put one sub in one system because near always dirty the mid/midbass

Even with my Krell sometimes i prefer without also putting at 40 hz with 48 db

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I thought the Krell Master Reference sub was the best sub I have ever heard although the Wilson Thor Hammer is also but even larger. The largest sub I ever owned was the Wilson XS which was 82" tall and boasted 2 18" drivers. My house would shake when I played certain passages. I powered it with a Krell Mcx750

People rarely sold them gian. Why did you part with yours (other than its size and weight)

I seriously considered buying one 2nd hand about 2-3 years ago, but its age is what concerned me. It's got a built-in FPB600 series amp as i recall...which today could well require work, capacitors, etc, and at 200kg in weight, that really gave me pause from buying. Otherwise, that would have been amazing given that I believe Dan D'Agostino designed them to go with his own personal Wilson X1/Grand Slamms.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I cannot comment on other subs, only on the WB Torus with WB's previous model to the Cardinal. Listen every week for over a year, with all Naim 500 series, and Odin cables. Sound was great and won't go into it like a reviewer. But, was not overly impressed with the Torus (for the money). Of course, it gave the WB speakers more depth and weight, but not enough of the "slam" factor. Maybe it was just me. My Venture's might not go as lower, but they have more punch in the mid to upper bass, which I like.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I seriously considered buying one 2nd hand about 2-3 years ago, but its age is what concerned me. It's got a built-in FPB600 series amp as i recall...which today could well require work, capacitors, etc, and at 200kg in weight, that really gave me pause from buying. Otherwise, that would have been amazing given that I believe Dan D'Agostino designed them to go with his own personal Wilson X1/Grand Slamms.

I was not aware of this last detail. I always thought they were designed for the Krell LAT1000 - perhaps the LAT1000 were also referenced to the X1's. :) Anyway, part of the receipt of the Krell Master sub for great bass were the accelerometers fitted to the cones - it was a servo design.

BTW, looking for details of old Krell speakers I just found a mint pair of black LAT1000 in audiogon at a nice price - a great buy, in Europe they would immediately disappear!

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
IMO 2 channel sub implementation and user requirements basically fall into 2 categories: ultra low bass and low frequency room mode management which primarily depends on your xover point and of course room placement. But what's rarely talked about is bass quality. IME I've owned Dahlquist, Pioneer, Martin Logan, M&K, Rel Strata and Storm and currently own a JL Audio F112. The quality of bass is quite different with the JL Audio which is substantially better than the former subs. I say this as a way to help hone in on what you are looking for in a sub(s) and that they all sound different with different levels of quality. The higher you xover the more quality will matter.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing